Grapes - yes or no?!

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've seen a few posts around the forum advising against eating grapes due to their high Gi/sugar content.

I find this rather confusing, as I've always read/been told that Grapes are one of the better fruits to eat, from a low Gi and a general health point of view.

I'm on a reduced carbs eating plan, and I eat some grapes every day (100g along with 10g Almonds as a snack every day, sometimes twice per day!). Interestingly, they don't seem to affect my BG as much as apples or pears (which I use to eat LOADS of, thinking they were good for me!). As long as I limit the portion size of Grapes they're fine (but that's the same with almost all foods I find).

Just wondering what other forum members think about Grapes - do you eat them or not ? How do they affect your BG?

Also, I was researching online to try and find out some more info about Grapes, and found this, which seems to indicate Grapes have beneficial effects for Diabetics (?), amongst many other positives for overall health, saying :

"Better blood sugar balance, better insulin regulation, and increased insulin sensitivity have now been connected with intake of grape juices, grape extracts, and individual phytonutrients found in grapes".

Here's the weblink:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=40

Weirdly, I didn't used to eat many grapes before diagnosis (was an apple/pear addict!), but since diagnosis I found I crave Grapes, and staarted buying them every week... now they're my snack of choice!

Reactions: lorraine95

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
You're probably craving the sugar content! :lol:

Seriously though, 100g of grapes has between 17g and 22g carb (red are higher than green), so for someone like me on a very-low-carb diet, that's about half my daily carb intake. So I don't eat them. In fact, I haven't eaten them since diagnosis, so I've never checked how they affect my BG levels (any excuse! :lol: ).

If you can eat them without spiking too much, maybe you'll be okay. We are all different in our reactions to different things - I can eat small apples, whereas some people can't. Bananas aren't good for me, though - and I do love them!

Can I suggest that after your next snack of grapes you test at 1, 2 and 3 hours, if you can afford to use the strips? Then you'll find out exactly what is happening. Also, don't get too complacent. I can eat a wholemeal bread sanwich occasionally with no rise whatsoever. If I eat a sandwich every day, my BGs creep up over time.

If you can eat them, carry on. They are very good for us. Though I prefer mine crushed and fermented - that way the pips and skin don't get stuck in my teeth! :wink:

Viv 8)

desidiabulum

i had just mentioned on the other thread that grapes have a relatively high GI and (more importantly) GL, and they certainly spike me. But there are lots of posters on this forum who know a lot more than I do about these things. As always, the answer is to do what Viv says - test, and see what works best for you. We all respond differently. If grapes don't spike you then go for them! :lol:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.

I always find to keep my BG levels safe no more than a 'handful of grapes'
is best. :thumbup:
The green grapes do LESS damage too but I have no idea as to why?
Green can be more sharp on taste than the red grapes [have wondered over this]

A nice supper treat [handful of grapes] alongside a couple of flat bread crackers with cheese :)

Anna.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Desidiabulum posted:

As always, the answer is to do what Viv says -

I couldn't resist taking it out of context! :lol: :lol:

Viv 8)

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks for replies so far...

yes I have tested before and after, as I mentioned, and have found a limited amount of grapes, along with 10g Almonds, does less 'damage' to my BG levels than an Apple or Pear or Plums, which I used to eat LOTS of (thinking they were Low Gi hence good for me!).

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I can eat a portion of grapes without too much of a problem, by a portion I mean a single handful which equates to around 6 to 8 grapes. :D

My problem is I find it hard to only eat a single portion of grapes so dont buy them any more as I know that the whole bunch is in danger of disappearing :cry:

But I do enjoy them in a small mixed fruit salad occasionally when I go out to eat :thumbup:

Test, test, test and test again to find out what YOU can safely eat :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Oh, you kind person! :oops: :D

I do my best, but there are lots of things I don't know. :crazy: If that's the case, I try to remember to say so!

Viv 8)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Red yes. Green no x:)

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
I just ate 3 red grapes (6pm)as blood was 5.7.Will test hourly until 9 pm.
A hour later it's was 5.6
6.1 now at 8pm but this includes a bacon sandwich

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kat100

Have not had a grape for two years now ...but now you have all inspired me , just a few for the festive season ....:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not for me, I'm afraid.

I'm sure that a few would be fine.
But I have never, in 47 years, managed to stop at a few.

Reactions: 2 people