What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE hornnplayer, post: 684306, member: 69210"]Hiya Ive,

I've got "Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" 4th edition - the ebook version is about a fiver whereas the paper copy is £22! I've also got his "the Diabetes Diet" but I haven't started reading that yet. I also got "Blood Sugar 101" by Jenny Ruhl, which is a real eye opener! Should be required reading. - I don't know why they don't give copies out at diagnosis, 'cept it would send the drug companies apoplectic!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/QUOTE]

Thanks I'll have another look

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Time to wrap up my Diabetes Miracle by Diane Cress way of eating.
And report back on the outcome.

Sorry this is a bit of a marathon post, but I wanted to write it all out, so that I can come back and refer to it, if (when) I eventually start troughing carbs again in the future. Please skip it if you want to avoid the verbage!

Well, it has been a fascinating experience, and has taught me a great deal.
Was it worth it?
Yes and No.

The premise (in case anyone missed my earlier posts) was to minimalise all quick release carbs for 8 weeks (so 5g or less at meals and bedtime, none as snacks) for 8 weeks. There were additional, excellent, ideas and guidance. The premise is that by avoiding carbs you rest your liver and pancreas. And by eating regularly (every 5 hours) you avoid liver dumps.

It REALLY worked. I felt better. My bg dropped to truly normal levels for 8 weeks. Did I say I felt better? Scrap that. I felt BRILLIANT. This, apparently, is how non-diabetics and non-insulin resistent people feel like. And I envy them.

Was it hard? Not really. No carbs + feeling better = no carb cravings and great motivation.
I would recommend it to any type 2.
(with the proviso that Cress' recommendation is to go low fat for weight loss too, and I wouldn't recommend THAT part of the programme)

After 8 weeks, the idea is to slowly transition up to 15ish g carbs per meal and snack, allowing your rested liver and pancreas to ease back into action.

And this is where it started to go wrong for me. Turns out that re-introducing wheat revealed a wheat intolerance that had me feeling pretty cr*p for several days, and took 48 hrs to get out of my system after the last bit of wheat. 15 g carbs isn't really very much. 3 rice cakes. 1 mini wholewheat pitta, a couple of potatoes. I was OK with the rice, but better with the potatoes, but my goodness, after a few years of low carbing, eating that amount of quick release carbs was hassle. Had to remember. Had to drop my fat intake proportionally. Disappointing taste sensations. So I tried different grains, re-introduced 70% choc. increased my variety of things - hummus, taramasalata, the odd felafel...

And slowly became aware that there was a kind of niggle, in the vicinity of my ribs, after any of the grains. The merest hint of a carb craving. Just on the edge of awareness. I started to look forward to those rice cakes, thinking how I could load them up, to disguise their polystyrene nature...

I've always known that grains are a problem for me, but never had such clear evidence, consistently and reliably presented, ever before. My meter was fine, unless I ate wheat. My carb cravings were not, and seemed to be linked to ALL grains, and potatoes, to a lesser extent.

I've also discovered that I can identify the physical sensations of insulin resistence in the same way I can indentify the physical sensations of ketosis. Raising carbs from 5g to 15 g instantly raised my pre-prandial readings by nearly 1.5mmol/l. So I'm going to be able to monitor my body's varying insulin resistence level. Fecking AWESOME.

Weight loss happened slowly during this way of eating, stalled if I didn't have a decent daily walk, and reversed when I introduced wheat and grains. I lost 5lbs in 8 weeks. Regained 7.5lbs in 24 hours after reintroducing wheat. and have since lost 3.5 lbs since stopping the wheat. I have no idea how much of the remaining 4lb I put back on is fluid, or fat.

So the upshot is that I am tremendously glad that I did this Diabetes Miracle way of eating. It is brilliant, and for someone with a different body, less insulin resistence and without my additional 'issues' (prolactinoma and PCOS), I think this system of eating might be a really good, sustainable way of not getting trapped into very low carb eating, unable to eat carbs without bg spikes. But for me, the reintroduction of carbs has been problematic, and I am confident that trying to add more carbs (Cress' intention is that you eventually eat about 40g/meal carbs) would be a ticking time bomb of carb cravings, misery and weight gain.

I have learned that:
  • Im convinced that my liver and pancreas had a great rest and are much the better for it. they are no longer over-reacting to the slightest whiff of a carb, or a hypo. My bg can go low, without the mad panic of hypo sweats, hollowness, anger and the shakes. that alone makes the last 3 months a triumph. lets hope I don't screw it all up and go back to the old problems!!!
  • I can flourish, with normal bg levels on very low carb, and enough fat
  • I have developed an awareness of how insulin resistence feels in my body
  • 5g or less carbs/meal, with a walk every day, results in weight loss
  • I can eat an enjoyable amount of carbs (choc, hummus, caramelised onion, popcorn (11g bag), 9 bars, mug cakes, low carb baking...) so long as they aren't grains
  • Wheat, in any form, spikes me more than 30g of other carbs and MUST be avoided
  • Grains cause me carb cravings, but now I know how much I can tolerate without losing control and going into a feeding frenzy
  • Grains also cause me insulin resistence (fatigue, aching limbs, apathy, couch-potato-syndrome), and I know how much I can tolerate without losing control and going into a feeding frenzy.
Fab results, eh?

My plans for the future are, on order of importance:
  1. Enjoy life, delicious low carb high fat foods and ignore the diet police
  2. Avoid wheat
  3. Avoid grains
  4. eat other carbs, to my appetite, spread through the day, with an upper limit of approx 50g carbs. this is, I think, fully sustainable and enjoyable
  5. eat fatty meat, butter, cream, oils and cheese to my appetite
  6. celebrate if weight loss happens
  7. accept that weight loss is not to be relied upon, and is DEFINITELY not worth risking carb cravings due to fat reduction, to achieve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 22 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Sorry this is a bit of a marathon post, but I wanted to write it all out, so that I can come back and refer to it, if (when) I eventually start troughing carbs again in the future. Please skip it if you want to avoid the verbage!

Was it worth it?
Yes and No.

The premise (in case anyone missed my earlier posts) was to minimalise all quick release carbs for 8 weeks (so 5g or less at meals and bedtime, none as snacks) for 8 weeks. There were additional, excellent, ideas and guidance. The premise is that by avoiding carbs you rest your liver and pancreas. And by eating regularly (every 5 hours) you avoid liver dumps.

It REALLY worked. I felt better. My bg dropped to truly normal levels for 8 weeks. Did I say I felt better? Scrap that. I felt BRILLIANT. This, apparently, is how non-diabetics and non-insulin resistent people feel like. And I envy them.

Was it hard? Not really. No carbs + feeling better = no carb cravings and great motivation.
(with the proviso that Cress' recommendation is to go low fat for weight loss too, and I wouldn't recommend THAT part of the programme)

After 8 weeks, the idea is to slowly transition up to 15ish g carbs per meal and snack, allowing your rested liver and pancreas to ease back into action.

And this is where it started to go wrong for me. Turns out that re-introducing wheat revealed a wheat intolerance that had me feeling pretty cr*p for several days, and took 48 hrs to get out of my system after the last bit of wheat. 15 g carbs isn't really very much. 3 rice cakes. 1 mini wholewheat pitta, a couple of potatoes. I was OK with the rice, but better with the potatoes, but my goodness, after a few years of low carbing, eating that amount of quick release carbs was hassle. Had to remember. Had to drop my fat intake proportionally. Disappointing taste sensations. So I tried different grains, re-introduced 70% choc. increased my variety of things - hummus, taramasalata, the odd felafel...

And slowly became aware that there was a kind of niggle, in the vicinity of my ribs, after any of the grains. The merest hint of a carb craving. Just on the edge of awareness. I started to look forward to those rice cakes, thinking how I could load them up, to disguise their polystyrene nature...

I've always known that grains are a problem for me, but never had such clear evidence, consistently and reliably presented, ever before. My meter was fine, unless I ate wheat. My carb cravings were not, and seemed to be linked to ALL grains, and potatoes, to a lesser extent.

I've also discovered that I can identify the physical sensations of insulin resistence in the same way I can indentify the physical sensations of ketosis. Raising carbs from 5g to 15 g instantly raised my pre-prandial readings by nearly 1.5mmol/l. So I'm going to be able to monitor my body's varying insulin resistence level. Fecking AWESOME.

Weight gain happened slowly during this way of eating, stalled if I didn't have a decent daily walk, and reversed when I introduced wheat and grains. I lost 5lbs in 8 weeks. Regained 7.5lbs in 24 hours after reintroducing wheat. and have since lost 3.5 lbs since stopping the wheat. I have no idea how much of the remaining 4lb I put back on is fluid, or fat.

So the upshot is that I am tremendously glad that I did this Diabetes Miracle way of eating. It is brilliant, and for someone with a different body, less insulin resistence and without my additional 'issues' (prolactinoma and PCOS), I think this system of eating might be a really good, sustainable way of not getting trapped into very low carb eating, unable to eat carbs without bg spikes. But for me, the reintroduction of carbs has been problematic, and I am confident that trying to add more carbs (Cress' intention is that you eventually eat about 40g/meal carbs) would be a ticking time bomb of carb cravings, misery and weight gain.

I have learned that:
  • Im convinced that my liver and pancreas had a great rest and are much the better for it. they are no longer over-reacting to the slightest whiff of a carb, or a hypo. My bg can go low, without the mad panic of hypo sweats, hollowness, anger and the shakes. that alone makes the last 3 months a triumph. lets hope I don't screw it all up and go back to the old problems!!!
  • I can eat an enjoyable amount of carbs (choc, hummus, caramelised onion, popcorn (11g bag), 9 bars, mug cakes, low carb baking...) so long as they aren't grains
  • Wheat, in any form, spikes me more than 30g of other carbs and MUST be avoided
  • Grains cause me carb cravings, but now I know how much I can tolerate without losing control and going into a feeding frenzy
  • Grains also cause me insulin resistence (fatigue, aching limbs, apathy, couch-potato-syndrome), and I know how much I can tolerate without losing control and going into a feeding frenzy.
Fab results, eh?

2. Avoid wheat
  3. Avoid grains
  4. eat other carbs, to my appetite, spread through the day, with an upper limit of approx 50g carbs. this is, I think, fully sustainable and enjoyable
  7. accept that weight loss is not to be relied upon, and is DEFINITELY not worth risking carb cravings due to fat reduction, to achieve.
Great post B. Thank you for being a guinea pig and reporting your findings :)

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

It was a red American, I think California apple, it tasted sweet, will maybe try a Granny Smith next week just for recording purposes:)

I've just got through post some Milk Thistle tablets I'm going to try, read that they can help with DP, anyone else know any info or taking..?
I had a look around the net this morning after reading this. I quite fancy trying milk thistle myself now :)

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Was it worth it?
Yes and No.

Weight gain happened slowly during this way of eating, stalled if I didn't have a decent daily walk, and reversed when I introduced wheat and grains. I lost 5lbs in 8 weeks. Regained 7.5lbs in 24 hours after reintroducing wheat. and have since lost 3.5 lbs since stopping the wheat. I have no idea how much of the remaining 4lb I put back on is fluid, or fat.

I have learned that:
Fab results, eh?

2. Avoid wheat
  3. Avoid grains

Awesome, truly awesome, gives us hope, especially me.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Was it worth it?
Yes and No.

I have learned that:
Fab results, eh?

2. Avoid wheat
  3. Avoid grains

@brunnaria thanks for this, it's a really interesting post. I have only been doing lchf for a number of weeks and now realise the damage carbs do and how ill they made me. For a long time I felt I had a wheat intolerance and I had also followed NHS advice on healthy eating - wrong! I'm now averaging about 50g carbs which I seem to be able to tolerate. Since starting this, I have become scared of bread and I'm struggling to come to terms with cream and fat, but I'm determined to continue on! I am now going to start refining my diet but need to do more studying as I am still very much a novice. Good luck with the rest of your plan :)

Reactions: 7 people

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Was it worth it?
Yes and No.

I have learned that:
Fab results, eh?

2. Avoid wheat
  3. Avoid grains

Fascinating post.... I'll try and track back to some of your previous posts linked to this way of eating.
In particular, I too can relate to the insulin resistant and PCOS and wheat intolerance.

Reactions: 6 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - bacon, scrambled eggs and mushrooms
L - chicken, tomatoes and a pork sausage
D - crustless quiche, creamy cheese coleslaw and tomatoes and olives
S - nuts and later jelly and cream

Reactions: 3 people

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - bacon, scrambled eggs and mushrooms
L - chicken, tomatoes and a pork sausage
D - crustless quiche, creamy cheese coleslaw and tomatoes and olives
S - nuts and later jelly and cream

Mmmmmm Kezzer your menu looks so delicious .... It's even appealling to a vegetarian like me! :joyful:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
interesting post. I've stayed off the wheat by and large since diagnosis in May ( 4 potato croquettes I think )and feel heaps better digestion wise and none of that bloating I used to get post pasta dinner.

Today hasn't been great calorie wise as out.
breakfast turkey bacon and scrambled egg
lunch ham and cheese savoury salad 6 crisps
snack decaff coffee and 1 piece of toblerone
dinner bacon, fried egg and mushrooms; peanuts and some dark chocolate

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday night is our traditional take away night, I normally just have lightly battered haddock and previously not been penalised by it, tonight however I munched my way through a bag of chips too.:-(

I only feel guilty about the carbs, not the fat content. I'm still within my goal calories for the day .

I can't use my monitor, the battery has gone again grrr that's 3 batteries in 3 weeks. I guess I will be changing my meter next week.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
B: porridge again
Was at work this morning so I ended up having a late lunch of ham spread with cream cheese and some coleslaw. Oddly, by Bg was in the sevens bothbefore and after this. Recently it has been much lower.
Evening: Greek yoghurt with five plums
So: M&S pork crackling - wont be having that again, it was rather disappointing and affected my Bg :-(

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oopphs been a naughty girl ...excess homemade vino ...
Hence half pot goats yoghurt , wendleysdale slice sandwich ..spread with coconut oil ...

That was before me going to bed!!
This morning ..two slices of toast with butter!!!!:-(

Guess I should go sit on the naughty step ....lol

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oopphs been a naughty girl ...excess homemade vino ...
Hence half pot goats yoghurt , wendleysdale slice sandwich ..spread with coconut oil ...

That was before me going to bed!!
This morning ..two slices of toast with butter!!!!:-(

Guess I should go sit on the naughty step ....lol

Nah

Just chalk it up to experience and plan a deliciously low carb, indulgent lunch to nip any carb cravings in the bud.

Guilt and regret are a waste of energy that could be better spent reading this site ;)

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

Yesterday wasn't a great day pain wise and high levels. But stuck to v low carb
B was cheesy scrambled eggs 4 cherry toms
L was Swiss cheesy mushrooms. Love this recipe. Yum esp watching it all bubble and turn a golden brown on top under the grill
D a nice rump steak
Crisp green fresh salad and bearnaise sauce
Not a carb in sight ...well salad but hey none worth counting
No snacks

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:

Coffeencream
Rice cake with butter, marmite and salad
Burger, mashed caulicheese and assorted green veg

Questionable food choice of the day: coconut milk in tea. Not to be repeated

Today:

Bacon, eggs and latte
Carvery lunch, 1 spud
Poss grilled salmon? Or just a coyo?

Questionable food choice of the day: 2x Lilly O'Brien Death by Chocolate chocolates. 9g carbs each. What a disappointment! Overly sweet, hard, shiny shell with bland 'thin' textured middle. No depth of flavour. Think Bournville. :sour:
Had to have the second one to confirm what a disappointment they were! :rolleyes:
If I am going to spend 9g carbs on something, I at least want something luxurious and decadent, not thin, sickly and brittle textured. And I have 8 more of them in the box. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
breakfast bacon, poached egg mushrooms
lunch small cheese and ham salad, green tea
snack small handful peanuts and a sliver dark chocolate with my decaff
dinner keema curry with peas( I give Mr E most of them as not keen and waste of carbs), saag paneer, onion bajhia and poppadum with homemde red onion pickley thing. If I can move after it I'll be doing some more peddling.

Status
Not open for further replies.