Discrimination

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Has anyone experienced discrimination against diabetes due to ignorance and disappointment?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One way or another we all must have been at some point, badly treated with regard to our Diabetes.
Discrimination in the workplace etc; may warrant some kind of action.
If you have experienced some kind of discrimination, let us know and we will give you some help and advice.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Only discrimination I had was as a school child. The school deemed I was not allowed to go on school trips. Just in case something happened. This was back in the 60's and 70's though. People are more enlightened now though.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can't say that I have experienced anything. School, university or work wise. Generally all have been excellent and allowed me to get in with it, including various hospital appointments, etc. As long as I have worked with them, they have worked with me. I don't expect any privileges though...

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No not at all, but I have only been type 2 for 3 years.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
One way or another we all must have been at some point, badly treated with regard to our Diabetes.
Discrimination in the workplace etc; may warrant some kind of action.
If you have experienced some kind of discrimination, let us know and we will give you some help and advice.

Thank you izzzi and everyone who has replied. I noticed that "discrimination" is discussed on the forum elsewhere.
I think that in social circles ostracization might be a natural response to a situation one would not have to accept.
Best thing to do might be to act natural and maybe not even reveal an illness.