Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Been an odd day today for me too, first time checking after 1hr and had some surprises an 11.2 a 1hr after breakfast changing that, then arrived at 4.8 on 2hrs, what a drop!

Ive not wanted to post on here co's all my readings were nearly Non Diabetic then today decided to check @ 1hr after.
Lunchtime was a a 7.8, after 1hr although came back 2 hrs to 5.6.
Dinner 5.4 start 1 hr after again 7.8 then 6.5 on 2 hr
Was all consistant, thinking I was cruising then it all changed

That 11.2 to 4.8 is one massive drop.

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My fastings have been 4.3 to 5.5 and I do this just before eating breakfast, then I have been having more or less the same breakfast everyday for several weeks now thinking this is OK and never checked 1hr until today. My 2hrs have ranged between 6.2 & 7.3 after breakfast.

Then did this 1hr reading 11.2 shocked, changing my breakfast now and will be doing lots more 1hrs.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
What have you been eating?

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3.9 for me which smashes all records. Dunno if I should be happy with that or not.

Really low carb day

Guys ... question please .... is that too low??

Mike :)
Wow Mike, if you feel ok, I wouldn't worry. How did your diet vary?

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had been disussing this earlier I feel a bit stupid now but because I was following my meter I thought all was OK

Granola 40g, Yogurt both Full Fat & 3.5% Fat, Blueberries Handfull, 1 teaspoonfull of Flaxseed. and using up a stock of 50/50 orange juice small glass.

Having checked the Granola that was 23 carbs per portion, not sure what the Orange juice was although the 50/50 was diluted. Then 5carbs on the Yogurt.

I'm going to stick with the yogurt berries and throw in some nuts, I do have egg mushrooms & bacon on accasions instead, but the cereal has been the main stay.

My 30day averages Pre Meal are 5.0 & post are 6.5 so i was not worrying did not see any spikes, until I did the 1hr today, could have carried on thinking I was dioing OK for ages, I thought I had it under control, wrong.

Reactions: 6 people

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Slept in today.....been very tired. So not surprisingly 6.7 when I finally got up.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Wow Mike, if you feel ok, I wouldn't worry. How did your diet vary?

Hi Anne

I didn't really vary it but it was low low carb dinner of chicken and veg. Pretty standard for a SAT nite for me. I don't think I tae enough during the day and a few red wines at nite probably dropped it past where I'd prefer it to be.

At least I'm over my back pain (took a week) so perhaps the figures reflect that to some degree where the diet is kicking in

Cheers Mike

BTW, how are you going?

Reactions: 7 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I had been disussing this earlier I feel a bit stupid now but because I was following my meter I thought all was OK

Granola 40g, Yogurt both Full Fat & 3.5% Fat, Blueberries Handfull, 1 teaspoonfull of Flaxseed. and using up a stock of 50/50 orange juice small glass.

Having checked the Granola that was 23 carbs per portion, not sure what the Orange juice was although the 50/50 was diluted. Then 5carbs on the Yogurt.

I'm going to stick with the yogurt berries and throw in some nuts, I do have egg mushrooms & bacon on accasions instead, but the cereal has been the main stay.

My 30day averages Pre Meal are 5.0 & post are 6.5 so i was not worrying did not see any spikes, until I did the 1hr today, could have carried on thinking I was dioing OK for ages, I thought I had it under control, wrong.

Gotcha .... I was about to suggest you stay with what you were doing and test @ 1 hour tomorrow, but looking at that breakfast, yes, probably time to change it.

Cheers

Mike

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gotcha .... I was about to suggest you stay with what you were doing and test @ 1 hour tomorrow, but looking at that breakfast, yes, probably time to change it.

Cheers

Mike

I'll report how I get on with New Breakfast & 1 hr testing, bedtime for me now bye.

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Anne

I didn't really vary it but it was low low carb dinner of chicken and veg. Pretty standard for a SAT nite for me. I don't think I tae enough during the day and a few red wines at nite probably dropped it past where I'd prefer it to be.

At least I'm over my back pain (took a week) so perhaps the figures reflect that to some degree where the diet is kicking in

Cheers Mike

BTW, how are you going?
Going well Mike. I mean I think we all have issues getting a handle on what our morning bs is going to do, but I seem to have the day time thing under control. I went to engagement bbq party last night. Was 5 before I left home, ate 1 rice paper roll with duck and veg in it, abut 12 scallops with a chorizo and parmesean crumb, two beef satay sticks, 1 bbq prawn skewer, 1 chicken satay skewer and bbq suckling pig maybe 100g over about 3 hours. When I got home I thought omg I am going to be high for sure......4.8. Lol, then I was scarred to take my dinner time meds because I thought it might drop me too low. When I got home I had some wine and a few cashews before bed.

I record everything I eat in my fitness pal which you can download for free. It is an eye opener. I thought I was eating many more carbs than I am. My dietician has me on 1200 calories a day, she wants me to eat 200g of carb a day and lower my fat.....****** that for a joke. I love my lchf way off life!

Anne

Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Going well Mike. I mean I think we all have issues getting a handle on what our morning bs is going to do, but I seem to have the day time thing under control. I went to engagement bbq party last night. Was 5 before I left home, ate 1 rice paper roll with duck and veg in it, abut 12 scallops with a chorizo and parmesean crumb, two beef satay sticks, 1 bbq prawn skewer, 1 chicken satay skewer and bbq suckling pig maybe 100g over about 3 hours. When I got home I thought omg I am going to be high for sure......4.8. Lol, then I was scarred to take my dinner time meds because I thought it might drop me too low. When I got home I had some wine and a few cashews before bed.

I record everything I eat in my fitness pal which you can download for free. It is an eye opener. I thought I was eating many more carbs than I am. My dietician has me on 1200 calories a day, she wants me to eat 200g of carb a day and lower my fat.....****** that for a joke. I love my lchf way off life!

Anne

Too funny Anne :)

I wouldn't go anywhere near a meter after that. The unpredictably of it all huh ?

Mike

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Too funny Anne :)

I wouldn't go anywhere near a meter after that. The unpredictably of it all huh ?

Mike
I am a brave lady, plus wanted to know how the combinations would impact on the bs. Mind you I did stay clear of the spring rolls and prawns in batter and anything over carb loaded. I ate a lot of protein though.....hehehe. Having said that today I am back to my regular way of eating........omelette for breakfast....brunch and going to have fresh crab meat and avocado later and maybe some berries and cream for supper.

Anne

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I am a brave lady, plus wanted to know how the combinations would impact on the bs. Mind you I did stay clear of the spring rolls and prawns in batter and anything over carb loaded. I ate a lot of protein though.....hehehe. Having said that today I am back to my regular way of eating........omelette for breakfast....brunch and going to have fresh crab meat and avocado later and maybe some berries and cream for supper.

Anne

Yep, reading back it wasn't that bad a mix of food :)

Think I'll just have some lean steak and maybe some onions / mushrooms

Mike

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

What was your blood glucose after this meal? And how long after? I think that meal would have given me a 10 an hour after.:depressed:

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
4.6 up early to watch the recorded boxing from last night before I get the results. Have a good day all.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jan

Unfortunately no ..... the peak is (ideally under an increase of 2.0) at one hour and a drop back of 1.0 or thereabouts @ 2 hours.

It's now back to 7.9 (a little over 2.5 hours after breakfast) and it'll be moving down to the 6s for the rest of the day.

Oh well, press on huh ?

mike

Good morning Mike

I believe that the rule of thumb about staying within 2 mmol of your before meal readings refers to the 2 hour post prandial count.

And at the end of the day it is just that just a rule of thumb to give us an indication of whether we are responding to a meal well, so I would expect someone to have some latitude in interpreting it. I can not imagine that we are meant to get too upset if is 2,2 or 2,5 instead of say 1,9. It would not be logical given the known limitations of self test glucose meter accuracy. If you were say at 3, something or higher or if you consistently are above 2,0 then perhaps that would be a better indication that something needs changing.

I am not sure if there is even any scientific backing for this 2 mmol ceiling. As far as I know it is just a rule of thumb based on people's personal experience of what helps them to control their levels. And it does seem to work.

The true objective should be that we maintain our levels within a range that minimizes our chances of suffering diabetic complications. For that what we need to do is spend as much time as possible within the non diabetic range of values.

According to the NICE guidelines that means that if we want to mirror non diabetics, we should keep owr levels within 4 to 5,9 before a meal and no higher than 7,8 mmol two hours after a meal. No NICE guideline exists for the 1 hour after a meal count

The NICE guidelines for type two diabetics are actually higher but I will ignore these as I am more interested in staying in the diabetic range stated above.

I understand that research has shown that non diabetics will experience glucose values in the high single figures following a meal but will not spend a lot of time at these values. I assume that this is where the NiCE two hour target of 7,8 comes from.

There is also research that supports the idea that damage begins to our bodies at glucose levels above 7,8 mmol and so we should try to stay above this value for as little as possible.

I would expect that there is no fixed answer on whether the one hour reading should be lower than the two hour reading, as it is for you, or vice versa, as it usually applies to me. It would depend on a number of variables such as the Glycemic index values of the individual food items eaten as well as of the combination of them, on the type of medication one is on. But it would also I suspect depend on differences between two t2 diabetics with regards to the extent that their glucose/insulin mechanisms are impaired. It is my understanding that unlike t1 diabetes, which I understand to be more uniform, involving the auto immune destruction of the pancreatic beta cells and an inability to produce insulin, t2 diabetes which involves reduced ability both to produce and to utilize insulin to transfer glucose out of the bloodstream and into the cells, is really a combination of a variety of metabolic malfunctions and so there is more scope for variability between two individual t2 sufferers. My understanding is that two individual t2s may have different degrees of impairment to the extent that their insulin production in the pancreas is impaired for instance, or different degree of impairment to the extent their muscle cells can respond to insulin to take on board glucose.

Where this rather lengthy explanation is going is that in your shoes I would be happy as long as both my one hour and two hour readings are under 7,8 but not be so concerned if the former is slightly higher. Since your two hour reading is usually higher than your one hour, I would test beyond two hours to make sure your levels drop after that.

Sorry this has ended up being so long.

Reconciling clarity of expression with brevity is obviously not one of my strong points.

Regards

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A nice 5,0 this Sunday morning for me, while the wife's transformation of our home into Santa's grotto is now almost complete.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1416726956.484094.jpg

At least,I hope it is.

Come to think of it she did not actually say so and there are still plenty of days till Xmas ...

Have a great day everyone.

Pavlos

Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Good morning Mike

Where this rather lengthy explanation is going is that in your shoes I would be happy as long as both my one hour and two hour readings are under 7,8 but not be so concerned if the former is slightly higher. Since your two hour reading is usually higher than your one hour, I would test beyond two hours to make sure your levels drop after that.

Sorry this has ended up being so long.

Reconciling clarity of expression with brevity is obviously not one of my strong points.

Regards

Pavlos

Hi Pavlos

As usual how do I possibly thank you ? You take so much time to educate someone so new to this and gratitude to you. You owe me nothing but it's so gratefully accepted :)

As I thought, my BS dropped to 6.1pre dinner and I know they won't increase anywhere near as dramatically as in the (this) morning. Again, low carb.

Been having foot pains (nothing serious) most of the day and only across top of the arches but I'll put that down to my fall earlier this week
and that back pain has subsided significantly.

Take care brother :)

Mike

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pavlos

As usual how do I possibly thank you ? You take so much time to educate someone so new to this and gratitude to you. You owe me nothing but it's so gratefully accepted :)

As I thought, my BS dropped to 6.1pre dinner and I know they won't increase anywhere near as dramatically as in the (this) morning. Again, low carb.

Been having foot pains (nothing serious) most of the day and only across top of the arches but I'll put that down to my fall earlier this week
and that back pain has subsided significantly.

Take care brother :)

Mike
Knees were giving me trouble last night, which I put down to the expensive :-( new tennis shoes I wore for the first time yesterday.

So giving feet a rest and not taking one of my usual walks this morning.

Hopefully I will be able to make good for this by the afternoon,

If not I will just enjoy the rest!

Take care

Pavlos

Status
Not open for further replies.