Another Newbie

alisoncc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical professions.
Hi,

only diagnosed a couple of months back with Type 2. Took me a while to get to grips with the implications and to acquire and learn how to use a glucose monitor. I was quite shocked to receive the diagnosis as I believe I have a close to perfect diet and lifestyle. I prepare all my own food from raw ingredients, and carefully monitor sugar and salt content. I have previously had problems with fructose overload so tend not to eat anything that might resurrect those issues. Bought a kg of raw sugar about four months ago and the bag is still 75% full. Plus I also play golf three times a week walking the course, on average 10kms each round.

I have very little visceral fat and a BMI of 26. Which for a woman in her early seventies I would like to feel is acceptable. I have had slightly elevated blood pressure and my GP prescribed Indapamine. Last week, digging around on the Internet I came across this reference on Drugs.com

thiazides.jpg

Digging further I found the following reference:-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16801488

The first paragraph of the abstract states:

National guidelines and a recent clinical trial have supported the use of thiazide diuretics as the preferred initial pharmacological treatment for hypertension. However, evidence from this and other clinical trials have also found an increased incidence of new onset diabetes among those patients receiving thiazide diuretics. The mechanisms responsible for the increased incidence of diabetes with thiazide diuretics have not been fully elucidated.

Have now discontinued the Indapamine and will be happy to post here the results on my readings.

Hugs Alison

alisoncc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical professions.
Thanks for your kind words Debs. Must admit I found the Glucose Tolerance Test quite abhorrent. It was like eating a dozen Mars bars at a single sitting. So not surprised by the result. I wouldn't have consumed 10% of that amount in a single year. Felt nauseous for days after.

My GP copy's me emails of any blood test I have, so have a history going back many years. The apparent onset of Type 2 was very sudden which to my mind suggests a distinct cause rather than a gradual process.

Hugs Alison

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Alison, welcome. Most of us were shocked in some way when diagnosed T2, but learned subsequently that a) it's not our fault, there are a number of metabolic flaws that can trigger it; and b) there's a lot we can do ourselves.

Diabetes is more a symptom than a specific disease - the elevated blood sugars can be the result of impaired insulin production in the pancreas, increased resistance to insulin in the blood cells, the stomach not telling the brain it's eating, the brain not telling the pancreas to produce insulin etc etc - in isolation or in combination. There is also a suggestion that HbA1c levels (the measurement of 2-3 month avarage blood glucose concentration) can climb slowly, almost imperceptibly, over several years before 'letting go' when the pancreas says it's basically had enough. Trouble is those measurements are never routinely taken until the sudden rise has happened.

Do you know what your diagnosis HbA1c was? What sort of readings are you getting with your monitor?

You mention a 'near perfect diet' with preparation of food from scratch and monitoring of sugar. That is great, but as diabetics controlling sugar is not enough. We have to control carbohydrates as well, which means significantly reducing bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. Carbohydrates metabolise to sugars very quickly so we tend to look at total carbohydrate as a marker. What would be a typical day's meals for you?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

alisoncc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical professions.
Previously wrote:
Have now discontinued the Indapamine and will be happy to post here the results on my readings.

I week later after stopping the Indapamide - NatrilixSR, getting consistent readings similar to this mornings first.

Nothing consumed between 8:30pm and 9:00am - 5.2 mmol/l. Which is magic. Three hours after breakfast of rolled barley porridge with tsp of sugar and skim milk & cup of tea (no sugar) - 5.7 mmol/l. Checking my blood pressure to make sure stopping diuretic doesn't have any effect there, and so far nothing out of the ordinary. Last ten moving average 126/84 (also since stopping the NatrilixSR).

Looks like my Type 2 was medication induced. Been a worthwhile exercise though, as now I have replaced some high GI/GL carbs with low ones. Like pearl barley instead of white rice when I brew up a curry. Will continue with the Chromium Pico and Biotin as additions to my daily supplements of CoQ10, Carnitine, Magnesium, Zinc and B complex.

Last edited by a moderator:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello Alison and welcome.

alisoncc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical professions.
Now close to two weeks since stopping the Indapamide and getting many readings of BG between 4.7 and 5.4 mmol/l. Did a bit of a test this afternoon (Aussie Time).

I make my own bread from equal amounts of Spelt Plain, Spelt Wholemeal and Rye Wholemeal flours. Just adding baking powder, pinch of salt and sufficient water to make a non-sticky dough. Wrap in cling film and leave in fridge for 30 mins or so. Then roll out as thin as possible with rolling pin. Drop into hot frying pan with a tablespoon EVOO. Turn after a few minutes, and it's done. Tastes fantastic, and so easy to make.

Anyway size of my cooked bread would be about 8-9" diameter. Don't know proportions of carbs, fats and proteins present, hence recipe. I use an Excel spreadsheet to record what I eat and my BG readings. These are for the test today. Reckon the 5.1 and 5.7 are similar ie. within device and strip tolerances.

bgreadings.jpg

Everything I have read would suggest that returning to similar values post prandial within twoish hours is pretty normal for a non-diabetic. Thoughts please. Worth noting I am seventy plus, so metabolism not the hottest. And the bread was plain no toppings or additives.

alisoncc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical professions.
Well, it's goodbye folks. Type 2 totally cured now, by discontinuing the NatrilixSR (Indapamide).

This mornings fasting reading was just 4.9, and that was only after 6 hours of fast. Peak readings 1 - 1½ hours after a significant meal of all normal foods is typically 9.4, and 2½ - 3 hours afterwards it drops to 6.3.

There isn't a shadow of doubt in my mind that my Type 2 Diabetes was entirely a function of the Indapamide I had been prescribed for hypertension. My average fasting readings are 5.2 early morning, now. So bye, nice knowing you all. Keep well.

I will continue to add the Chromium Pico..., Biotin and a locally produced Glucose Manager to my daily supplements, as they seem to have helped me rid myself of quite a few inches of visceral fat. Need to go shopping now for some new clothes. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, it's goodbye folks. Type 2 totally cured now, by discontinuing the NatrilixSR (Indapamide).

This mornings fasting reading was just 4.9, and that was only after 6 hours of fast. Peak readings 1 - 1½ hours after a significant meal of all normal foods is typically 9.4, and 2½ - 3 hours afterwards it drops to 6.3.

There isn't a shadow of doubt in my mind that my Type 2 Diabetes was entirely a function of the Indapamide I had been prescribed for hypertension. My average fasting readings are 5.2 early morning, now. So bye, nice knowing you all. Keep well.

I will continue to add the Chromium Pico..., Biotin and a locally produced Glucose Manager to my daily supplements, as they seem to have helped me rid myself of quite a few inches of visceral fat. Need to go shopping now for some new clothes. :)
Hi, I would eat to my meter and try not to go over 7.8 at any time for a normal response
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
normal bloods are
Fasting blood sugarunder (5.5 mmol/L)
One hour after mealsunder (7.8 mmol/L)
Two hours after mealsunder (6.6 mmol/L)

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Now close to two weeks since stopping the Indapamide and getting many readings of BG between 4.7 and 5.4 mmol/l. Did a bit of a test this afternoon (Aussie Time).

I make my own bread from equal amounts of Spelt Plain, Spelt Wholemeal and Rye Wholemeal flours. Just adding baking powder, pinch of salt and sufficient water to make a non-sticky dough. Wrap in cling film and leave in fridge for 30 mins or so. Then roll out as thin as possible with rolling pin. Drop into hot frying pan with a tablespoon EVOO. Turn after a few minutes, and it's done. Tastes fantastic, and so easy to make.

Anyway size of my cooked bread would be about 8-9" diameter. Don't know proportions of carbs, fats and proteins present, hence recipe. I use an Excel spreadsheet to record what I eat and my BG readings. These are for the test today. Reckon the 5.1 and 5.7 are similar ie. within device and strip tolerances.

bgreadings.jpg

Everything I have read would suggest that returning to similar values post prandial within twoish hours is pretty normal for a non-diabetic. Thoughts please. Worth noting I am seventy plus, so metabolism not the hottest. And the bread was plain no toppings or additives.
You may find this interesting:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

alisoncc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical professions.
Sorry, but every human being is unique by virtue of their DNA, environment, chronology, etc., etc., etc.. There is no such things as a "Normal" set of readings. There may be an expectation that readings of blood sugar fit within a statistical bell shaped curve, but that is not to say that any specific individual is abnormal because their readings don't.

As a seventy one year old Caucasian female living in a Western environment and society who now takes absolutely no prescription medication of any kind, probably makes me very different to the 'norm" anyway. In this regard I revel in my abnormality. I will continue to play competive golf two to three times a week, walking the course, with an expectation that I am good for at least another twenty odd years.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, with the figures you gave us, I would ask for another HbA1c test. I wouldn't be happy with those figures (other than your fasting ones, which are great). I would expect many of us on here to be down to 6.3 at 2.5 to 3 hours after eating. I've just taken my own 3 hour reading and was 5.5, which is about normal for me, but I am definitely a type 2. (unmedicated)

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Sorry, but every human being is unique by virtue of their DNA, environment, chronology, etc., etc., etc.. There is no such things as a "Normal" set of readings. There may be an expectation that readings of blood sugar fit within a statistical bell shaped curve, but that is not to say that any specific individual is abnormal because their readings don't.

As a seventy one year old Caucasian female living in a Western environment and society who now takes absolutely no prescription medication of any kind, probably makes me very different to the 'norm" anyway. In this regard I revel in my abnormality. I will continue to play competive golf two to three times a week, walking the course, with an expectation that I am good for at least another twenty odd years.
Just saying that 10.4 an hour after some bread and 7.8 two hours is definitely not what a non-diabetic person would experience. Don't take it personally - these are still pretty good results for a diabetic. I didn't mean to imply you are abnormal or insult you. I certainly don't consider people who have diabetes to be abnormal (I am one too, after all). I did not intend for my comments to upset you, however, you did ask for comments, or thoughts anyway.

These numbers were from a couple of months ago. How are you're levels after a carby meal now?

Reactions: 2 people

alisoncc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical professions.
Never had a "HbA1c test", and not about to start now. One needs to be very careful about any measurements the medical professions consider to be "Normal". Often they are representative of "averages" for modern society. A society where obesity is the "norm" not the exception, where easy access to junk foods makes dietary nutritional considerations dirty words, where sport is considered a spectator activity and where the remote control enables a sedentary lifestyle to be enjoyed by all.

I am of the opinion that it's the abnormals who get to be healthy centenarians. I have no wish to have "normal" BG readings if "normal" is representative of those who absolve themselves of any responsibility fot their own health and wellbeing. The only person you can guarantee to be at your funeral is yourself.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Never had a "HbA1c test", and not about to start now. One needs to be very careful about any measurements the medical professions consider to be "Normal". Often they are representative of "averages" for modern society. A society where obesity is the "norm" not the exception, where easy access to junk foods makes dietary nutritional considerations dirty words, where sport is considered a spectator activity and where the remote control enables a sedentary lifestyle to be enjoyed by all.

I am of the opinion that it's the abnormals who get to be healthy centenarians. I have no wish to have "normal" BG readings if "normal" is representative of those who absolve themselves of any responsibility fot their own health and wellbeing. The only person you can guarantee to be at your funeral is yourself.
No HbA1c tests? How were you diagnosed with diabetes? Just the one glucose tolerance test? You say you have blood test results going years back that show you were non-diabetic then suddenly got diabetes, but it is possible, and common, to have normal fasting blood glucose levels and still have type 2 diabetes.

I certainly understand your being in denial about your diabetes, but it may be counter productive to your health in the long run. High blood glucose leads to all sorts of medical problems.:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php and

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15945839.php).

Normal blood glucose levels are certainly more desirable than elevated blood glucose levels. "Normal" blood glucose levels refers to the blood glucose levels of people with no insulin resistance and normal insulin production. About 90% of the population have "normal" blood glucose levels. Obesity rates in most western countries is about one third of the population, so it's not quite the "norm". I find it a bit odd that you desire to have elevated (i.e. diabetic level) blood glucose levels. However, if you change your mind this forum is a great place to discover how to lower them without drugs.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Nice signature.:)