Does this sound like Reactive Hypoglycemia?

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
:)Hi everyone!!

I'm new to this forum but it is just what I need.....to talk to people who know their stuff

I have been having trouble with my doctors, they are being very dismissive about the symptoms I have been experiencing. I am not diabetic, that has been established using blood tests at the doctors and doing my own at-home blood glucose testing.
I went to the doctors with diabetic symptoms, almost all of the main ones, very frequent urination, extreme fatigue, all of a sudden becoming weak and shaky and all of a sudden extreme hunger. If I happened to eat chocolate in the afternoon within 3 hours I would have an almighty headache. All of my symptoms seems to revolve around food.
My home blood glucose testing showed my postprandial level was lower than my preprandial level. I tested over 3 days and the results were the same. My fasting glucose in the morning was always fine.
After my doctor got my results from their glucose testing I was told my blood glucose was low but not in the dangerous zone. I have never had strips and my tester with me when I have had a hypo-like spell so I have not yet managed to get a reading when my symptoms are at their worst. My doctors have put my symptoms down to a Vitamin D deficiency.......
I have been paying closer attention to what I'm eating and how my body reacts. Always within 3 hours of eating I am incredibly fatigued and/or have hypo-like symptoms and have needed to pee 5-6 times.
My doctor is refusing to acknowledge the existence of Reactive Hypoglycemia. Does any of this sound like that may be what is going on? Anyone's help and advice would be so appreciated, feel like I'm getting nowhere with the doctors and it's starting to get in the way of my normal life now. Oh and I should probably mention I am a healthy weight for my height, I exercise regularly and eat a very good diet, I am definitely eating enough.

Thanks for reading

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)Hi everyone!!

I'm new to this forum but it is just what I need.....to talk to people who know their stuff

I have been having trouble with my doctors, they are being very dismissive about the symptoms I have been experiencing. I am not diabetic, that has been established using blood tests at the doctors and doing my own at-home blood glucose testing.
I went to the doctors with diabetic symptoms, almost all of the main ones, very frequent urination, extreme fatigue, all of a sudden becoming weak and shaky and all of a sudden extreme hunger. If I happened to eat chocolate in the afternoon within 3 hours I would have an almighty headache. All of my symptoms seems to revolve around food.
My home blood glucose testing showed my postprandial level was lower than my preprandial level. I tested over 3 days and the results were the same. My fasting glucose in the morning was always fine.
After my doctor got my results from their glucose testing I was told my blood glucose was low but not in the dangerous zone. I have never had strips and my tester with me when I have had a hypo-like spell so I have not yet managed to get a reading when my symptoms are at their worst. My doctors have put my symptoms down to a Vitamin D deficiency.......
I have been paying closer attention to what I'm eating and how my body reacts. Always within 3 hours of eating I am incredibly fatigued and/or have hypo-like symptoms and have needed to pee 5-6 times.
My doctor is refusing to acknowledge the existence of Reactive Hypoglycemia. Does any of this sound like that may be what is going on? Anyone's help and advice would be so appreciated, feel like I'm getting nowhere with the doctors and it's starting to get in the way of my normal life now. Oh and I should probably mention I am a healthy weight for my height, I exercise regularly and eat a very good diet, I am definitely eating enough.

Thanks for reading

To be honest you need to capture some readings when you feel off, or any comment is just that, and probably meaningless.

As you are describing that you can almost create a scenario where you have these uncomfortable feelings, you should be able to get some readings. All you have to do is carry your testing kit with you for a few days and you'll be there.

How often have these occurrences happened, on average?

Reactions: 2 people

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
To be honest you need to capture some readings when you feel off, or any comment is just that, and probably meaningless.

As you are describing that you can almost create a scenario where you have these uncomfortable feelings, you should be able to get some readings. All you have to do is carry your testing kit with you for a few days and you'll be there.

How often have these occurrences happened, on average?
That is what I was thinking of doing as it's really the only way I will see how low it goes isn't it? Thanks for replying so quick!! I have the extreme postprandial fatigue every day, the frequent urination every day and I'd say around 3-4 hypo-like episodes a week. Some weeks it's more.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is what I was thinking of doing as it's really the only way I will see how low it goes isn't it? Thanks for replying so quick!! I have the extreme postprandial fatigue every day, the frequent urination every day and I'd say around 3-4 hypo-like episodes a week. Some weeks it's more.

Hi Emma, and welcome!

There are a few of us on the forum with experience of RH, so you may find a few of your answers on here.

Have a look at this thread, and see if any of the info fits...
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...orum-section-on-reactive-hypoglycaemia.65454/

I agree with the suggestions people have made that you need to capture a few blood glucose readings during your symptoms. But in the meantime, here are a few suggestions.

Frequent excessive urination is a symptom of high blood glucose (usually over 10mmol/l)
So, if your blood glucose is going that high, at any point in the day, you need to know when.
Usually, our bg shoots up after a carby meal, reaching a peak at around 45-75 mins after starting to eat. then it falls away. This is why we test at 2 hours - the peak is past, and we can see if there are any lingering problems as the peak subsides.

How about you do a few tests after typical meals, every 15 or 30 mins, and see how high you are going up. Map the readings all the way until your bg has returned to its pre-meal figure, even if that takes several hours.

I should do the same over the period you usually get your fatigue slump. That will map things out nicely. Have you got an app for your phone where you can plot your meter readings on a graph? Well worth getting, if you haven't.

This kind of information is never available to doctors. they just run the standard range of bg tests, and lose interest if your numbers don't flag up within their easily identified worry-zone.

We have a member on here (@nosher8355 ) who fought and fought with his GP to be referred. He was eventually sent to a hospital clinic where they ran 72 hour fasting tests, and extended oral glucose tolerance tests. These are the only things that will identify RH in a way that the NHS will acknowledge - and it is terribly difficult to get that clinic referral in the first place!

One thing that crosses my mind, is your fatigue. I wonder if at least part of your symptoms may be a food intolerance. I get extreme fatigue after wheat. Yawning, sleepy, barely able to keep my eyes open... happens about 2-3 hours after bread. or pasta.
If you have a similar thing, then your blood glucose monitor will help to identify that very very quickly. As soon as you start to yawn and need to snooze, whip out the testing kit. If your BG is showing your normal range of numbers, and is not unusually low, then this may be an explanation.

But please do have a look at the link I posted above. And join us on that thread, if you like. :) the more, the merrier!

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Kat :)
Thanks!! I've been having a peek at your posts, I saw you had requested a RH section. Good idea.
What was your experience with being diagnosed with RH? Was it a struggle for you? My doctor basically said I have low blood glucose readings but they aren't going to do anything further because my readings aren't low or high enough to be diabetic. She said it's just my body telling me I need to eat but I'm getting these symptoms usually 2-2.5 hours after eating. I shouldn't be ravenous after such a short time I would think. I'm pretty much hungry all the time even though I am eating plenty. I think my doctor thinks it's just a slight feeling of hunger I'm getting but that isn't what it is. I feel completely drained out of nowhere like I haven't eaten for days. It feels like my food is going nowhere, it's not fueling my body, it's causing these symptoms. That's how I feel about it. Then after I do eat im knocked out with an overwhelming fatigue that I can't fight. I just need to sleep. I sleep plenty at night and I always sleep right through.

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Emma, and welcome!

There are a few of us on the forum with experience of RH, so you may find a few of your answers on here.

Have a look at this thread, and see if any of the info fits...
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...orum-section-on-reactive-hypoglycaemia.65454/

I agree with the suggestions people have made that you need to capture a few blood glucose readings during your symptoms. But in the meantime, here are a few suggestions.

Frequent excessive urination is a symptom of high blood glucose (usually over 10mmol/l)
So, if your blood glucose is going that high, at any point in the day, you need to know when.
Usually, our bg shoots up after a carby meal, reaching a peak at around 45-75 mins after starting to eat. then it falls away. This is why we test at 2 hours - the peak is past, and we can see if there are any lingering problems as the peak subsides.

How about you do a few tests after typical meals, every 15 or 30 mins, and see how high you are going up. Map the readings all the way until your bg has returned to its pre-meal figure, even if that takes several hours.

I should do the same over the period you usually get your fatigue slump. That will map things out nicely. Have you got an app for your phone where you can plot your meter readings on a graph? Well worth getting, if you haven't.

This kind of information is never available to doctors. they just run the standard range of bg tests, and lose interest if your numbers don't flag up within their easily identified worry-zone.

We have a member on here (@nosher8355 ) who fought and fought with his GP to be referred. He was eventually sent to a hospital clinic where they ran 72 hour fasting tests, and extended oral glucose tolerance tests. These are the only things that will identify RH in a way that the NHS will acknowledge - and it is terribly difficult to get that clinic referral in the first place!

One thing that crosses my mind, is your fatigue. I wonder if at least part of your symptoms may be a food intolerance. I get extreme fatigue after wheat. Yawning, sleepy, barely able to keep my eyes open... happens about 2-3 hours after bread. or pasta.
If you have a similar thing, then your blood glucose monitor will help to identify that very very quickly. As soon as you start to yawn and need to snooze, whip out the testing kit. If your BG is showing your normal range of numbers, and is not unusually low, then this may be an explanation.

But please do have a look at the link I posted above. And join us on that thread, if you like. :) the more, the merrier!
That's all brilliant info. Thanks so much, I don't have an app but I will get one. There's an app for everything!! Ha ha. I have trouble finding what readings are normal and what aren't. Will my readings be in the diabetic range if I am having a proper hypo when I test myself when I have the hypo-like symptoms? I am going to get strips tomorrow and start doing it asap, if my doctors won't help I suppose it's down to me to test myself. I will also read that link you posted.

Again, thanks to everyone who has replied!! I hope I get some answers soon.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks!! I've been having a peek at your posts, I saw you had requested a RH section. Good idea.
What was your experience with being diagnosed with RH? Was it a struggle for you? My doctor basically said I have low blood glucose readings but they aren't going to do anything further because my readings aren't low or high enough to be diabetic. She said it's just my body telling me I need to eat but I'm getting these symptoms usually 2-2.5 hours after eating. I shouldn't be ravenous after such a short time I would think. I'm pretty much hungry all the time even though I am eating plenty. I think my doctor thinks it's just a slight feeling of hunger I'm getting but that isn't what it is. I feel completely drained out of nowhere like I haven't eaten for days. It feels like my food is going nowhere, it's not fueling my body, it's causing these symptoms. That's how I feel about it. Then after I do eat im knocked out with an overwhelming fatigue that I can't fight. I just need to sleep. I sleep plenty at night and I always sleep right through.

I was never diagnosed. I first came across a book about hypoglycaemia when I was about 17 - and it described me perfectly.
And that is what started me on the low carbing - been doing that, gradually more and more strictly, for about 30 years now.
I went through periods of inhaling carbs, RH symptoms and weight gain, and periods of strict low carb, stable weight, and blissfully RH free.

Tried to ask for help from several doctors, over the years, but none of them even believed my symptoms were real. I was offered sleeping tablets, antidepressents and anti-anxiety meds, at various times. thank goodness I refused each time!

Eventually, all the over-use of my insulin producing capacity seemed to move me into pre-diabetes, then type 2 diabetes. for a while I had both - raised bg from insulin deficiency, followed by too low bg from the insulin driving it down too far. Thank fully, low carbing has knocked that on the head.

But it is only in the last year, with my blood glucose meter, and all the information about low carbing that is available from members of this forum, that I have hammered my RH into submission, and I could easily see it returning, if I mess with carbs too much.

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was never diagnosed. I first came across a book about hypoglycaemia when I was about 17 - and it described me perfectly.
And that is what started me on the low carbing - been doing that, gradually more and more strictly, for about 30 years now.
I went through periods of inhaling carbs, RH symptoms and weight gain, and periods of strict low carb, stable weight, and blissfully RH free.

Tried to ask for help from several doctors, over the years, but none of them even believed my symptoms were real. I was offered sleeping tablets, antidepressents and anti-anxiety meds, at various times. thank goodness I refused each time!

Eventually, all the over-use of my insulin producing capacity seemed to move me into pre-diabetes, then type 2 diabetes. for a while I had both - raised bg from insulin deficiency, followed by too low bg from the insulin driving it down too far. Thank fully, low carbing has knocked that on the head.

But it is only in the last year, with my blood glucose meter, and all the information about low carbing that is available from members of this forum, that I have hammered my RH into submission, and I could easily see it returning, if I mess with carbs too much.
So you are type 2 now? Well it seems with the quality of doctors I have in my town I won't be getting referred any time soon. They are notoriously rubbish. I have ulcerative colitis and they were happy to leave a 20 year old unable to eat properly for 9 weeks. They said it was a bug and kept turning me away. I eventually had to go to a completely different practice where a young doctor recognised what it was straight away.

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Am I right in thinking it isn't normal for BG to regularly be lower 2 hours after eating?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh sorry! Should have made that clearer. Lower than just before eating.

Ah, yes, I see. :)

Have a look at this link - please note, I am NOT suggesting you conduct a glucose tolerance test on yourself, without medical supervision!
But the results on the graph are a good indication of typical results for different types of glucose intolerance.

http://rajeun.net/gtt.html

To translate the blood glucose readings into English units, divide by 18

Reactions: 4 people

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ah, yes, I see. :)

Have a look at this link - please note, I am NOT suggesting you conduct a glucose tolerance test on yourself, without medical supervision!
But the results on the graph are a good indication of typical results for different types of glucose intolerance.

http://rajeun.net/gtt.html

To translate the blood glucose readings into English units, divide by 18
This is the kind of information I've been looking for! You're a star!!!!!!! Thank you!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi sorry just in!
The fasting reading is always interesting for diagnosis, as normal BSLs are recorded.
One of the ways that I get my BSLs down is by fasting until I get back to normal levels.
I agree with @Brunneria you need to record everything. You also need to eat frequently every 2-3 hours if you want to be in control. Small snacks rather than meals.
Keep to your low carb intake, as you probably like me are carb and sugar intolerant.
Read the threads about my experiences and I have also read a lot on hypoglycaemia at Wikipedia. The NHS site is shockingly short of information.
Also when you do hypo, do not use hi carbs or sugars to ease the symptoms, it doesn't work! Have a cuppa and a low carb small snack, then you won't hyper then hypo again.
Let us know how you are getting on.

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi sorry just in!
The fasting reading is always interesting for diagnosis, as normal BSLs are recorded.
One of the ways that I get my BSLs down is by fasting until I get back to normal levels.
I agree with @Brunneria you need to record everything. You also need to eat frequently every 2-3 hours if you want to be in control. Small snacks rather than meals.
Keep to your low carb intake, as you probably like me are carb and sugar intolerant.
Read the threads about my experiences and I have also read a lot on hypoglycaemia at Wikipedia. The NHS site is shockingly short of information.
Also when you do hypo, do not use hi carbs or sugars to ease the symptoms, it doesn't work! Have a cuppa and a low carb small snack, then you won't hyper then hypo again.
Let us know how you are getting on.
Hi, nice to hear from you. Thanks for the info. All very useful. My fasting BGs were normal before, although I only did it over 2 or 3 days. I ran out of strips so there are some gaps. I think taking more throughout the day would be a good idea. I will let you know what I come up with. A cuppa is usually what I have when I go wobbly. It tends to work. I will also try eating every 2 hours to stave them off. So are you properly diagnosed with RH now?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, nice to hear from you. Thanks for the info. All very useful. My fasting BGs were normal before, although I only did it over 2 or 3 days. I ran out of strips so there are some gaps. I think taking more throughout the day would be a good idea. I will let you know what I come up with. A cuppa is usually what I have when I go wobbly. It tends to work. I will also try eating every 2 hours to stave them off. So are you properly diagnosed with RH now?
It's been over a year since diagnosis, but I believe it's been abou 5 years or longer. Believe because symptoms mimic T2, and docs not knowing about condition, then that's why you probably need a referral to an endocrinologist! Even then if you don't get a up to date one he will still be reticent to give you a clear diagnosis and say its diabetes.
You may just have hypoglycaemia as diabetics do have this condition. The only way you find out is to see an endo and do the tests!
If you have a look at my personal data and my threads (not the footie ones!) and look after you.
Experiment and test, record and review.
Let us know how you are doing.