Treatment type
Other
Thanks daisy seems very good advice could you recommend a glucose monitor

beardie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
most people who buy their own seem to go for the code free. I prefer the ebsensor.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Thanks daisy seems very good advice could you recommend a glucose monitor

Hi julieemma. I would also recommend the SD Codefree as it uses cheaper strips if you have to pay for them.

julieemma

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thank you I have to pay because I'm not on meds nurse said but I'm struggling with diet

julieemma

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I ordered code free monitor on line thanks for the advice.now I think I'll be a bit stuck on when to test and when to eat as I can't get to eat in morning any help please

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipping meals is not a good idea for us. Pls have something like may be a boiled egg that you could boil in the night and keep, I sometimes make my breakfast of fried egg bacon and mushroom in the night and keep it in the fridge and in the morning microwave it and eat. You would need to cut down on carbs from bread pasta and flours. You need to test before a meal and 2 hours after the meal

julieemma

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Still struggling with diet my hb1ac is now 53 is that ok or do I need to get it lower I bought bg monitor how often should I test anyone now please

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Julieemma,

The best way to learn about what your meals are doing to your blood sugars is the test immediately before you eat and then again 2 hours after your first bite. Look at the difference in levels. If it is more than 2mmol/l different (ideally under 1.5mmol/l) there are too many carbs in that meal. You can then try again with the same meal but have a smaller portion of the carbs, and keep doing this until your levels improve, or avoid those carbs completely for a while. Keep a food diary, including portion sizes, and record your levels alongside. This way you can look back and hopefully learn a few things.

You can also test as soon as you get up in the morning. This is your morning fasting level, and you should aim for it to be under 6 if you can, although this may take a while to happen.

In what way are you struggling with your diet? Can we help you with this?

julieemma

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I struggle with breakfast can't seem to eat in mornings thanks to for the advice I will try testing as you suggested

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still struggling with diet my hb1ac is now 53 is that ok or do I need to get it lower I bought bg monitor how often should I test anyone now please
I suspect that you may get some answers telling you that your Hba1c can never be too low (although that's not true; ask anyone who has had a "hypo" :))

Anything between 48 and 58 is regarded as "good" control by NICE (the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) and anything below 48 is considered "excellent" control. Anything below 48 is also (I think I'm right) regarded as being symptomatic of someone who is pre-diabetic, if that person is not doing anything actively to reduce their blood sugar, rather than actually diabetic. As I said above, the lower you can get your levels, the less danger of developing complications, but some people can achieve more than others. Personally, I'd start getting a bit uncomfortable if I were lower than 37 or 38 (medical staff are advised to "check for hypo" if the level goes below 40), but there's no danger of that for me at the moment - or, possibly, ever! Mid 40s would be a good point to aim for, in the medium term, in my opinion. However, 53 is a good start, so don't be downhearted at all.

Usual disclaimers apply: This is just my opinion, based on what I have learned since being diagnosed T2. I am neither a Doctor, a Biologist nor an Endocrinologist, and all of us are different, physically. Strictly speaking, the only person you should rely on to advise you about the most appropriate levels in your case is a qualified medical practitioner who is familiar with you and your medical history and physical condition.

(Edit: correction - I've just checked the tables and the actual advice is to "Rule out Hypoglycaemia" if the Hba1c is less than 42. Useful reference table here).

Last edited by a moderator: