Aggghhhhhh....! Accucheck v's Freestyle - accuracy??

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
OK.... so.... since I've been on insulin, I've been using the Accu-check mobile - I really like that it's strip free as it makes it really easy to test when out and about etc....

Anyhoo - there have been lots of times I've felt low & wibbly - but my meter says 4.something - so I've thought "don't be so dramatic and just wait till your food arrives/the rest of the people you're with want to eat/you're home in ten mins etc etc etc"

But - this morning I felt *really* low - for the first time ever I actually felt lightheaded and like I might pass out.... so I tested on my accucheck - and it said 3.2 - which OK, *IS* low - but I really felt "worse".... anyway - obviously I ate promto - waited ten mins - and retested on the accucheck when it said 4.7.... so I 'should' have started to feel OK... but I didn't.... so I got my spare meter out - the freestyle neo - which I generally don't use but have it as it tests for ketones if needed.... anyway - I tested on that and it said 3.3! I retested on the accucheck and it still said 4.6 - so retested again on the freestyle.... still 3.3....

Anyway - I obviously ate a bit more and then felt fine.... but all day I've been cross-checking my accucheck with the freestyle - and ALL DAY the accucheckhas been anywhere between 1.5 and 2.5 points higher than the freestyle....!! Then - to make matters worse; I'm sat in my Endo's reception as happen to have an apt today - and see this....!!

I' checked the way I am applying the blood to the meter - and I"m doing it *exactly* as it recommends.... so I'm now a) totally freaked out that I've probably been in the 2's several times without realising :( and b) wondering which meter to trust....? :( :( :(

As someone who's already really frightened of not being hypo aware, this really hasn't helped.... :( does anyone else use the freestyle optimum neo or the accucheck mobile...? Any thoughts....?

10702021_739886122731171_6528785043891111336_n.jpg

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I don't use the same meters as you but have had the same problem with other meters.i am now unaware of "hypo's" so this is critical to me,so I always test with 2 meters and always use the lowest reading,not ideal,but it has worked for me.Roll on to when I get my pump!

Reactions: 2 people

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Hate to say this as I know there are a lot of fans of the Accucheck mobile on this forum but I stopped using it (2 of them) because I felt I couldn't trust the readings - same as you've described above. I used a Freestyle Optium for a while (same strips as the Neo) which I felt I could trust.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hate to say this as I know there are a lot of fans of the Accucheck mobile on this forum but I stopped using it (2 of them) because I felt I couldn't trust the readings - same as you've described above. I used a Freestyle Optium for a while (same strips as the Neo) which I felt I could trust.

Thanks for that feedback @logindetails ..... Hmmmm.... :-/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a Type 2 so it doesn't matter if my meters are inaccurate. However, I have 2 meters. The Accu-chek Mobile and the SD Codefree (cheaper strips).
I only use the Codefree. Last week, however, I tested over several days using both meters for the same tests, but found the Accu-chek read much lower than the Codefree - by an average of 0.5mmol/l.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had this meter and got fed up with it! I had 3 in a row. First was fine for a bit but then broke. Next started saying there was no blood on cassette and third ended up doing the same. I began to feel it wasn't accurate. I changed to Bayer Contour Next and never looked back!! Takes much less blood, super fast and very accurate. Still use the Accu-chek fimger pricker though as love it!

raregerry

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi i have used the accuchek mobile for the last 9 months, test 4 times a day and from the figures from the meter my software predicts my hbnc1.

i had two tests for HbA1c and they have both come out on target with the predicted readings so from that i taking that the meter is working as it should. Also the meter seems reads inline to the way i feel and expect from what i have eaten etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been using the Accu Chek Mobile for some years now, doing a controlled test every few weeks. It seems to be very accurate indeed and certainly convenient not needing to reload test strips for each test.

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I have Accu-chek nano and also find it has high readings than my other meters, typical example yesterday - Accu-check nano - 20.2, Omnipod (freestyle) - 12.4. On one I would have had a heart attack and on the other I would have said OK, and maybe do something about it.

Another example over the weekend: Accu-check nano - 4.7, Omnipod (freestyle) - 2.8. Since I knew I was was feeling lower than 4.7, I rechecked on the other meter. To me this is just not good enough and certainly not something that I rely on. I have done the Control test on both, and both come within the specified ranges.

shedlover111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the accucheck mobile and spent a bit of time doing comparisons with my main meter, I find if I add 0.7 to my mobile I do get a correlation that seems to work for me fairly consistently ......never yet found two meters that read the same!"!

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
OK.... so.... since I've been on insulin, I've been using the Accu-check mobile - I really like that it's strip free as it makes it really easy to test when out and about etc....

Anyhoo - there have been lots of times I've felt low & wibbly - but my meter says 4.something - so I've thought "don't be so dramatic and just wait till your food arrives/the rest of the people you're with want to eat/you're home in ten mins etc etc etc"

But - this morning I felt *really* low - for the first time ever I actually felt lightheaded and like I might pass out.... so I tested on my accucheck - and it said 3.2 - which OK, *IS* low - but I really felt "worse".... anyway - obviously I ate promto - waited ten mins - and retested on the accucheck when it said 4.7.... so I 'should' have started to feel OK... but I didn't.... so I got my spare meter out - the freestyle neo - which I generally don't use but have it as it tests for ketones if needed.... anyway - I tested on that and it said 3.3! I retested on the accucheck and it still said 4.6 - so retested again on the freestyle.... still 3.3....

Anyway - I obviously ate a bit more and then felt fine.... but all day I've been cross-checking my accucheck with the freestyle - and ALL DAY the accucheckhas been anywhere between 1.5 and 2.5 points higher than the freestyle....!! Then - to make matters worse; I'm sat in my Endo's reception as happen to have an apt today - and see this....!!

I' checked the way I am applying the blood to the meter - and I"m doing it *exactly* as it recommends.... so I'm now a) totally freaked out that I've probably been in the 2's several times without realising :( and b) wondering which meter to trust....? :( :( :(

As someone who's already really frightened of not being hypo aware, this really hasn't helped.... :( does anyone else use the freestyle optimum neo or the accucheck mobile...? Any thoughts....?

View attachment 7603
I think that there is a simple truth with Diabetes and that unfortunately is trust your instincts.
If I felt low enough to test, then there is something to be dealt with.

So decide for yourself use the tool (tester) as an indicator.

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the AC mobile and have never had any reason to doubt the readings. I also use Freestyle Lite strips as these were shown to be the most accurate in an independent test report. Comparison readings are always within 5%. You do need to make sure there are no food residues on your fingers and I use alcohol wipes to clean them before pricking. Also a larger blood drop than 0.3ul is required to ensure the meter does not report insufficient blood.

lukey2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I acquired various meters over the last few years, either buying them , filling in online forms for various meters or complimentary upgrades , I have found that accu check mobile seems to be mid range for readings with the various ones I have tested and decided to change my prescription to this one due to the ability to hold 50 strips in a cassete and carry several fast click lancets with me. but different meters work better for different people , I would stick to the one that you feel more comfortable with

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using the mobile for years and always find it accurate but I must admit I'm really a bit OCD when using it lol ie washing hands first, not touching the strip by making sure I have an adequate drop of blood, control tests once a month. Now and again I do a comparison on my mum's meter and it's always accurate. I now use the libre most of the day and again it's pretty comparable.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me as well, I'd got one to make testing on the bike/run easier but felt that the readings were not reflective of the situation and I kept getting errors as well.