Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrAizen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Disloyalty
Tardiness
3.9 for me which smashes all records. Dunno if I should be happy with that or not.

Really low carb day

Guys ... question please .... is that too low??

Mike :)
3.9 is kinda pushing it, especially considering the risk of Hypoglycemic unawareness. You might need to discuss with your doctor if you keep getting levels consistently below 4mmol/L.

fionamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bedtime 9.8, Fasting BG 8.4, cup of tea pre breakfast 8.0 1 hour post breakfast 11.7. **** bread :(

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke up early with a terrible cold and a fasting bs of 8.7 :( feeling very sorry for myself.

Poor you!

Watch the cold remedies! Lots are unsuitable for diabetics.

I tend to use vit c and echinacea tea.

Always used to use Night Nurse capsules too (out like a light for 8 hrs of quality rest), but not sure if they affect BG. Need to check that too...

Hope you feel better soon!

Edited to add: Night Nurse capsules look fine for diabetics, but the liquid contains 12g sugars per dose, so I would avoid it. Probably worth checking with the pharmacist when you buy it, just in case...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3.9 is kinda pushing it, especially considering the risk of Hypoglycemic unawareness. You might need to discuss with your doctor if you keep getting levels consistently below 4mmol/L.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with your comment there. Mike is a T2, on Metformin, so is unlikely to be at risk of a meaningful hypoglycaemic episode.

Many non-diabetics and well controlled T2s (or either no medication or light oral meds) run in the 3s for at least some of the day, most days. I am such a case in point. Were Mike a T2 or on more aggressive medication, he would need to take more heed at this stage.

Is your Lagos the Nigerian or Portuguese one?

Reactions: 8 people

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was 10.8 today - fasting... Doesn't seem to matter what I do! I think I will be injecting soon... Grrr... :banghead:

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Nice to see your posts rod, although not to hear about a sad time. Hope you are doing ok and manage to post more, you were on the "legends" that welcomed and advised me when I arrived here in July!

Thank you Kim. Although I was a relative newcomer to the condition myself, it's very rewarding when more newly diagnosed T2s take the same plunge and go on to achieve what you have done. That's what this forum should be about, and it makes all the welcomes worthwhile. (And for those who haven't, it's never too late to start to turn things around).

5.8 here this morning.

Reactions: 7 people
S

Sable_Jan

I had been disussing this earlier I feel a bit stupid now but because I was following my meter I thought all was OK

Granola 40g, Yogurt both Full Fat & 3.5% Fat, Blueberries Handfull, 1 teaspoonfull of Flaxseed. and using up a stock of 50/50 orange juice small glass.

Having checked the Granola that was 23 carbs per portion, not sure what the Orange juice was although the 50/50 was diluted. Then 5carbs on the Yogurt.

I'm going to stick with the yogurt berries and throw in some nuts, I do have egg mushrooms & bacon on accasions instead, but the cereal has been the main stay.

My 30day averages Pre Meal are 5.0 & post are 6.5 so i was not worrying did not see any spikes, until I did the 1hr today, could have carried on thinking I was dioing OK for ages, I thought I had it under control, wrong.
As @pavlosn has since said, if you are back down to those levels of 6.5 average after 2 hours you're doing ok. I like my cereal for breakfast and am usually down to acceptable levels after 2 hrs. If I eat eggs etc for breakfast I then don't know what to have for lunch......

Maybe have a smaller portion of Granola? I've found that ONE slice of seeded bread toast and my bs is fine but TWO and the numbers shoot up.....

Reactions: 4 people

DrAizen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Disloyalty
Tardiness
I'm sorry, but I disagree with your comment there. Mike is a T2, on Metformin, so is unlikely to be at risk of a meaningful hypoglycaemic episode.

Many non-diabetics and well controlled T2s (or either no medication or light oral meds) run in the 3s for at least some of the day, most days. I am such a case in point. Were Mike a T2 or on more aggressive medication, he would need to take more heed at this stage.

Well I didn't know Mike was just on Metformin.Lol. (had to check his profile which I didn't do earlier). And honestly I just assumed Mike was on Insulin(dont know why). Sorry Mike am new here and didn't know one could check profiles. Lesson learnt.
And you're right, metformin being a Biguanide has little risk of causing a hypoglycemic episode. Emphasis on little risk. However, Metformin(not in combination with other drugs) can cause Hypoglycaemia! This is especially so in patients with Kidney, Adrenal or Liver dysfunction as well as during strenous exercise and in the elderly.So never say never. Also a blood sugar level below 70mg/dL(3.88.mol/L) in a diabetic especially if consistently so, warrants an extra look. It might be nothing...and it usually is most times...but it still warrants a look.
And if you look at my comment I did mention CONSISTENTLY having figures below 4 and not on few occasions. I get figures like that occasionally especially after intense exercise.

Oh! And am from Lagos Nigeria. Not Portugal.
Cheers!!

S

Sable_Jan

Good morning Mike

I believe that the rule of thumb about staying within 2 mmol of your before meal readings refers to the 2 hour post prandial count.

And at the end of the day it is just that just a rule of thumb to give us an indication of whether we are responding to a meal well, so I would expect someone to have some latitude in interpreting it. I can not imagine that we are meant to get too upset if is 2,2 or 2,5 instead of say 1,9. It would not be logical given the known limitations of self test glucose meter accuracy. If you were say at 3, something or higher or if you consistently are above 2,0 then perhaps that would be a better indication that something needs changing.

I am not sure if there is even any scientific backing for this 2 mmol ceiling. As far as I know it is just a rule of thumb based on people's personal experience of what helps them to control their levels. And it does seem to work.

The true objective should be that we maintain our levels within a range that minimizes our chances of suffering diabetic complications. For that what we need to do is spend as much time as possible within the non diabetic range of values.

According to the NICE guidelines that means that if we want to mirror non diabetics, we should keep owr levels within 4 to 5,9 before a meal and no higher than 7,8 mmol two hours after a meal. No NICE guideline exists for the 1 hour after a meal count

The NICE guidelines for type two diabetics are actually higher but I will ignore these as I am more interested in staying in the diabetic range stated above.

I understand that research has shown that non diabetics will experience glucose values in the high single figures following a meal but will not spend a lot of time at these values. I assume that this is where the NiCE two hour target of 7,8 comes from.

There is also research that supports the idea that damage begins to our bodies at glucose levels above 7,8 mmol and so we should try to stay above this value for as little as possible.

I would expect that there is no fixed answer on whether the one hour reading should be lower than the two hour reading, as it is for you, or vice versa, as it usually applies to me. It would depend on a number of variables such as the Glycemic index values of the individual food items eaten as well as of the combination of them, on the type of medication one is on. But it would also I suspect depend on differences between two t2 diabetics with regards to the extent that their glucose/insulin mechanisms are impaired. It is my understanding that unlike t1 diabetes, which I understand to be more uniform, involving the auto immune destruction of the pancreatic beta cells and an inability to produce insulin, t2 diabetes which involves reduced ability both to produce and to utilize insulin to transfer glucose out of the bloodstream and into the cells, is really a combination of a variety of metabolic malfunctions and so there is more scope for variability between two individual t2 sufferers. My understanding is that two individual t2s may have different degrees of impairment to the extent that their insulin production in the pancreas is impaired for instance, or different degree of impairment to the extent their muscle cells can respond to insulin to take on board glucose.

Where this rather lengthy explanation is going is that in your shoes I would be happy as long as both my one hour and two hour readings are under 7,8 but not be so concerned if the former is slightly higher. Since your two hour reading is usually higher than your one hour, I would test beyond two hours to make sure your levels drop after that.

Sorry this has ended up being so long.

Reconciling clarity of expression with brevity is obviously not one of my strong points.

Regards

Pavlos
Clarity of expression far outweighs any need you may feel for brevity.....;) I'm one of the more "wordy" types too - whenever I try to condense what I'm saying someone always gets the wrong end of the stick.......:eek: I'd rather be clear
Thanks for this post Pavlos :joyful:

Reactions: 6 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As @pavlosn has since said, if you are back down to those levels of 6.5 average after 2 hours you're doing ok. I like my cereal for breakfast and am usually down to acceptable levels after 2 hrs. If I eat eggs etc for breakfast I then don't know what to have for lunch......

Maybe have a smaller portion of Granola? I've found that ONE slice of seeded bread toast and my bs is fine but TWO and the numbers shoot up.....

Thanks for that Jan, I have tried reducing the granola today but even without the orange juice still hit an 8.2 at 1hr then down to 5.5 which this figure was good

Tried 2 slices of my multi seeded hovis wholemeal with tuna, small slices plus olives for dinner, but rose from 5.7 pre to 8.5 at 2 hours my figures have all gone astray.

Neil

DrAizen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Disloyalty
Tardiness
Am als

also guessing you meant to say 'were Mike a TYPE 1...'? In your penultimate paragraph?

S

Sable_Jan

Same here. I just ask for a substitute for potatoes etc...
Might just have to leave some of my spuds next weekend - is a pre-booked meal dinner - had to choose the fish option as the "vegetarian" one is a pasta dish....... but it comes with mash and veggies - if its a small portion of mash I might risk it :D but I AM having a Haggis starter so maybe not.... no pudding for me though :angelic:

S

Sable_Jan

Bedtime 9.8, Fasting BG 8.4, cup of tea pre breakfast 8.0 1 hour post breakfast 11.7. **** bread :(
Try just ONE slice and a wholemeal multi-grained one - no guarantees you'll get away with it but if you really love your bread maybe worth a try?
I can do ONE slice of toast but not TWO
Jan

S

Sable_Jan

Thanks for that Jan, I have tried reducing the granola today but even without the orange juice still hit an 8.2 at 1hr then down to 5.5 which this figure was good

Tried 2 slices of my multi seeded hovis wholemeal with tuna, small slices plus olives for dinner, but rose from 5.7 pre to 8.5 at 2 hours my figures have all gone astray.

Neil
I used to find Hovis tasted really sweet (long before I was diagnosed pre-diabetic) do they still add sugar to it? I know there has to be some to activate the yeast but it used to be quite a lot with its position in the ingredients listing... Maybe another brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.