Got diagnosed with pre-diabetes...scared and need tips

ryder004

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys. My name is Alex. I am 23 years old. In 2011 I got diagnosed with pre-diabetes. About 2 weeks ago I got bloodwork done again as a yearly check up and it turns out well enough the bloodwork says I am still pre-diabetic.

About me: I have no family history of diabetes. I am very active and have been playing sports since I was 7. I go to the gym regularly and run almost everyday. Having said that, my diet my whole life has been bad. When I say bad, imagine this. Go to McDonald's and order a big Mac meal with a large coke, chicken mcnugets and a chocolate swirl ice cream shake. Next meal: Go to Taco Bell, order a crunchwrap supreme along with 4 tacos and 4 beefy 5 layer burritos and a large mt dew. And on top of all this go get a pint of ice-cream. In other words I have a bad addiction to food. I am probably the only person in the world who is fit and eats like this. If it was not for my active lifestyle, I would probably be obese and well overweight

Here is what I am TERRIFIED OFF: Feet. I do not want to lose my feet, just thinking of that makes me so depressed that I would probably consider suicide if it was to happen to me. Can anyone shed some light in here on how diabetics lose their feet? There seems to be very little info on the internet about this. I found many articles that describes WHY their lose their feet but not the probability. My main concern is this:

1)Can a pre-diabetic like myself still lose their feet?
2)If you take care of your diabetes and watch your diet and live an active lifestyle, can you still without any control lose your feet?

Before you guys think I am paranoid, my source of fear is this: 6 days ago I found a discoloration patch on my left foot right under my ankle. It's just like the ones that get shown on the online pics that diabetics develop. What also freaks me out is, for the past 3 months every single time I wake up in the morning it hurts to step on my left foot for about an hour. It feels like the middle of my foot has a hair line fracture but about an hour of walking and it goes away, but it's consistent every morning.

Can someone with knowledge on this subject shine some light?? I do not really every get numb feet unless I sit awkwardly on them. Also I have all my sensation in my foot and can feel pain and other sensations. I know the most common tip is to see my doctor which I already made the appointment but it's 10 days away still because my doctor is booked and I am freaking out
frown.gif

Also I began to clean up my diet

Also is there any supplements out there you guys recommend? Some Herbalife rep suggested me "snack defense" and said it's "perfect" for diabetics and pre-diabetics. However someone else told me that does nothing and Herbalife just has good sales reps.....Is there any supps out there to take that you guys recommend?

Thank you

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Ryder and welcome to the forum :)

Are you in the States? You are doing the right thing by cleaning up your diet. You don't need to buy helbal!fe or supplements.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

No need for any supplements, just a good diet. If I were you I would take this as a kick up the bum before you cross the line to full blown diabetic. Cut out all that junk food, eat meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, dairy foods, salads etc. Avoid processed foods, avoid ready meals, avoid anything with sugar, reduce the carbs.

Diabetes complications come after a lengthy time with consistent high blood sugars. It is highly unlikely your current problems are related to diabetes as you are not yet diabetic. But it could happen in the future if you don't take care of yourself!

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

You say you are otherwise healthy and not overweight, but your old diet was full of carbs and sugar. Such a diet would make you more prone to yeast infections including athletes foot. Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to nerve damage in your feet. This makes it harder for sores, ulcers etc to heal.

If you are anxious about your feet, insist on an earlier appointment or visit a podiatrist.

You are young and otherwise healthy. Sort out your diet and you may never reach full diabetes. Best wishes.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you can have a big mac if you throw the top of the bun away and have a salad with olive oil with it if you need a bigger serve
you can have the 4 layer filling but only one tacco.
you can reduce bread, wheat and corn flours and any sugary stuff...replace any lost energy with healthy fats I have no grain oils or marge

you could buy a meter and keep check on your bloods, eat to your meter so that it stays in normal range
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

do as much of this as you want to
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video

For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would it not be simpler to have your foot looked at by a doctor so that you can have a proper diagnosis and treatment.

As has been said already you would have to be diabetic first before having to worry about losing your feet to diabetes.

So your job now is to use your fear in a positive way, as motivation for you to change your diet round and make sure you do not progress to full on diabetes.

You have been fortunate enough to have been warned repeatedly. Make sure you do not ignore these warnings.

At 20 something you may be able to get away with a poor diet but you do not know for how long you will continue to do so.

Please take better care of yourself!

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

TEMPLER

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
D.V.L.A.
Hey guys. My name is Alex. I am 23 years old. In 2011 I got diagnosed with pre-diabetes. About 2 weeks ago I got bloodwork done again as a yearly check up and it turns out well enough the bloodwork says I am still pre-diabetic.

About me: I have no family history of diabetes. I am very active and have been playing sports since I was 7. I go to the gym regularly and run almost everyday. Having said that, my diet my whole life has been bad. When I say bad, imagine this. Go to McDonald's and order a big Mac meal with a large coke, chicken mcnugets and a chocolate swirl ice cream shake. Next meal: Go to Taco Bell, order a crunchwrap supreme along with 4 tacos and 4 beefy 5 layer burritos and a large mt dew. And on top of all this go get a pint of ice-cream. In other words I have a bad addiction to food. I am probably the only person in the world who is fit and eats like this. If it was not for my active lifestyle, I would probably be obese and well overweight

Here is what I am TERRIFIED OFF: Feet. I do not want to lose my feet, just thinking of that makes me so depressed that I would probably consider suicide if it was to happen to me. Can anyone shed some light in here on how diabetics lose their feet? There seems to be very little info on the internet about this. I found many articles that describes WHY their lose their feet but not the probability. My main concern is this:

1)Can a pre-diabetic like myself still lose their feet?
2)If you take care of your diabetes and watch your diet and live an active lifestyle, can you still without any control lose your feet?

Before you guys think I am paranoid, my source of fear is this: 6 days ago I found a discoloration patch on my left foot right under my ankle. It's just like the ones that get shown on the online pics that diabetics develop. What also freaks me out is, for the past 3 months every single time I wake up in the morning it hurts to step on my left foot for about an hour. It feels like the middle of my foot has a hair line fracture but about an hour of walking and it goes away, but it's consistent every morning.

Can someone with knowledge on this subject shine some light?? I do not really every get numb feet unless I sit awkwardly on them. Also I have all my sensation in my foot and can feel pain and other sensations. I know the most common tip is to see my doctor which I already made the appointment but it's 10 days away still because my doctor is booked and I am freaking out
frown.gif

Also I began to clean up my diet

Also is there any supplements out there you guys recommend? Some Herbalife rep suggested me "snack defense" and said it's "perfect" for diabetics and pre-diabetics. However someone else told me that does nothing and Herbalife just has good sales reps.....Is there any supps out there to take that you guys recommend?

Thank you
i fear the same as you , but think look for a film , back from bagdad a gunner lost both his legs bet he felt it was all over it shows the pain he went throu but his deteminition hard work he can now run a mile in 4 1/2 mins and whats more he is now a postman
i hope your ok be hard to lose a foot but its not the end look around theres always some one worse of the me/you, they cope think possitavely

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If anyone with diabetes is able to control their blood sugar so most of the time it is within a the 'good' range then it is unlikly they will evrer lose their feet or anything. Limb loss is due to blocked capilliaries resulting from sticky (sugary) blood. Just reduce the carbs and monitor your blood sugar if worried.