Recovery after diagnoses?

shedlover111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed at 56 with Type 1, Had a week in the hospital with a drip in all four limbs, went back to work scared and confused the following Monday and kinda worked the whole injecting, testing and diet thing myself, (with the help of this forum I may add), touch wood haven't had a day off sick since with the diabetes, had a few morns and afts for hospital/DR appointments, now happily well controlled and fighting fit!!

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I echo @aucklandcanary. I was diagnosed as a kid and I have never had a day off work due to diabetes. Viruses, Diarrhoea, Food Poisioning, yes. Diabetes, no.

The only overnight hypos I have had have resulted in me getting up and feeling like I had a hangover. I've been late in due to one causing me not to wake up with the alarm, but with my girlfriend's. I too take a dim view of people being "ill". I would also be cross with myself if I was unable to turn up for work because I was ill due to diabetes. It would feel as though I had failed to manage it.

Clinic appointments are the only time I take off, but I figure that plenty of people have medical conditions and take time off to deal with it.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed at 19, on a Friday, straight to hospital. Came out on Tuesday, went back to work the following Monday. I've not had time off for diabetes, dx 19 yrs x

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was taken in to hospital after work on the Tuesday, had the Wednesday/Thursday off work and back on the Friday.

I've never had any other days off and these are the only two sick days I've ever had in employment.

tibi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sick as hell for about 40 days now, I urinate all the time, head pain, my heart beats funy, lost about 10 kg, I feel worse by the day and I fear for my life at this point. The doctor said I am prediabetic but after I eat a slice of integral bread I spike to 200mg/dl. I am a web developer and since sickness started my business is going to h...

I see here on the forum most of you live a normal life, I don't understand why I am so bad.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sick as hell for about 40 days now, I urinate all the time, head pain, my heart beats funy, lost about 10 kg, I feel worse by the day and I fear for my life at this point. The doctor said I am prediabetic but after I eat a slice of integral bread I spike to 200mg/dl. I am a web developer and since sickness started my business is going to h...

I see here on the forum most of you live a normal life, I don't understand why I am so bad.
Hello,
Have you been back for a further check? Or a second opinion? Did they give u any medicine?

tibi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have have the strength to do it. I will try tomorrow.

Thank you.

emiliano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I got diagnosed I was in hospital for like one week, around 600mg\dl or something like that, I had lost 20kgs in three months, no energy whatsoever; when they sent me home my BG had gone down so abruptly I was left half blind, with a bunch of insulin pens, basic instructions on how to use them and lame dietary guidelines. Furthermore I was obviously pretty scared because I didn't know what to expect at all.

So I said "**** it" and went on holiday in Corsica for a couple of weeks...

tibi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I got diagnosed I was in hospital for like one week, around 600mg\dl or something like that, I had lost 20kgs in three months, no energy whatsoever; when they sent me home my BG had gone down so abruptly I was left half blind, with a bunch of insulin pens, basic instructions on how to use them and lame dietary guidelines. Furthermore I was obviously pretty scared because I didn't know what to expect at all.

So I said "**** it" and went on holiday in Corsica for a couple of weeks...

I am sorry to hear that. Have you found some balance and what diet are you using? I would appreciate any advice.

Tomorrow I will be hospitalized by a doctor specialized in nutrition and diabetes. She made today the hba1c test and is 4.6, she quickly said is not diabetes but I f3el bad for about a month ago, then she took my glucose and it was 214 mg/dl after a slice of bread, is insane what is happening to me, nothing makes sense anymore. I hope tomorrow I will get a diagnosis and some treatment because I am not sure I will live more as I feel now. I didn't work for about 40 day, I am in constant pain, my entire body suffers, my head hurts, I am dizzy all the time, my eye sight 8s w9rse by the day, urinate all the time and so on.

I stiĺl can'believe a month ago I was a healthy person and now I am thinking at dead, look at my little two years old girl and start to cry, is insane and it seam that I don't have a way out.

Thank you all for your support and I wish to you all a lot health.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
You are on the right track and being in hospital tomorrow hopefully something positive will get going to help you. A good idea is to write down any questions you might have for the hospital team, ask questions and tell them ALL your symptoms with or with foods/medication, time of day etc, there may be an underlying medical condition that hasn't even been thought of yet, Don't give up, it's normally a process of elimination first and this may take a little time,
Just to add, I was extremely ill prior to be have been diagnosed with Coeliac disease, and I was the one who mentioned Coeliac to my GP, as my first thought was an ulcer, but it wasn't that.

Good luck and take care

RRB

emiliano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sorry to hear that. Have you found some balance and what diet are you using? I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you all for your support and I wish to you all a lot health.

That was quite a long time ago, like seven years.
I'm doing excellent now, better than I ever did before my diabetes era... I'm slimmer, way fitter, I eat less and better food, I don't drink nearly as I used to... so even it might seem a paradox, now that I'm sick I feel much better than I ever did. I'm more conscious of my bodily feelings, I'm way more in touch with myself and a lot of stuff I used to give for granted now I appreciate much more.

Key to my recover was 1) Exercise 1) Low to zero-ish carb diet 1)Constant attention to my health and wellbeing. Downside is you develope something like a little obsession but, I mean, every rose has its thorn...

Diabetes is a pain in the ass but it can be managed to live a fulfilling life. Don't be scared.

I'm sure you will soon find out what's going on with your health and you'll find your way to make things better.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I don't have have the strength to do it. I will try tomorrow.

Thank you.

Tibi

Please let us know how you are getting on. We aren't all perfect gere. Many of us arrive on this site from desperation.... But friends here give support to enable us to turn things around..

Best wishes, please cone back and let us know how you've got on and how you are feeling....

tibi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was quite a long time ago, like seven years.
I'm doing excellent now, better than I ever did before my diabetes era... I'm slimmer, way fitter, I eat less and better food, I don't drink nearly as I used to... so even it might seem a paradox, now that I'm sick I feel much better than I ever did. I'm more conscious of my bodily feelings, I'm way more in touch with myself and a lot of stuff I used to give for granted now I appreciate much more.

Key to my recover was 1) Exercise 1) Low to zero-ish carb diet 1)Constant attention to my health and wellbeing. Downside is you develope something like a little obsession but, I mean, every rose has its thorn...

Diabetes is a pain in the ass but it can be managed to live a fulfilling life. Don't be scared.

I'm sure you will soon find out what's going on with your health and you'll find your way to make things better.

Thank you so much for your support. The doctor that I've seen today said to eat two pieces of bread some meat with salad, is crazy, is possible to have diabetes and have a normal hb1ac? Today was 4.8.

Lately after I eat my heart starts to beat funny and I fell to bed, get more dizzy and feel like I just drinking two. Before this I was going to gym about 4 times a week plus running 2-3 km every day except weekends. I was not slim, I was massive about 94 kg at 1.70.

Emiliano please can you email me your diet because if I eat as the doctor said I will go over 200 mg/ml and this is a big problem, in his opinion is not that bad...

Thank you so much for your help and support, I am 100% sure that you understand me. My family doesn't understand what is happening and they think I have a depression and they think I have no diabetes even if I show them my meter with high numbers, plus they want me to eat as before, they say that I feel like this because I don't eat enough...

tibi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tibi

Please let us know how you are getting on. We aren't all perfect gere. Many of us arrive on this site from desperation.... But friends here give support to enable us to turn things around..

Best wishes, please cone back and let us know how you've got on and how you are feeling....

Yes I am disparate and I hope I can find a solution, right now I feel hopeless. I will keep you posted with my progress.

Thank you!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Tibi

If you feel dizzy, awful etc before collapsing on a bed, then you need to start at basics.

1) when you feel like this test your blood.

2) test ur blood when you get up, pre meals and 2 hours after eating, and before bed.

3) if 4.8 was an hba1c result this is very low, and more than likely you are having hypo's.

Start off with testing regularly, post your results on here..

I don't know how old you are, but I think that you are probably old enough to make your own decisions on what you eat... So, unless you eat in accordance to your blood testing. You will get lots of good advice here on food and what spikes bloods upwards and what is good to eat.

Could you give an example of what a days food looks like now??

We're all behind you with support.. And want you healthy and happy...

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick one, for ppl who were diagnosed as adults..

When u were diagnosed, how long did u have off work? Especially if u had to go to hospital.

And does D cause u to have sick days?
One day off. In hospital Wednesday evening, discharged Thursday trying to work from the hospital bed all day and getting irritated by the nurses' faffing about, back at work Friday, back on site Monday.

So far, in just under 18 months zero sick days due to diabetes.

Last edited by a moderator:

tibi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will soon let you all know what I have, they put me antibiotics for abut a month now for a urinary infection do to the massive urination and my kidneys are starting to hurt...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will soon let you all know what I have, they put me antibiotics for abut a month now for a urinary infection do to the massive urination and my kidneys are starting to hurt...

Tibi,

I am so glad you have found a doctor to check you out properly!

Please come back and let us know how you are doing?

And good luck.

tibi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for the support, at this point I am convinced that I will die hopefully is just the depression talking :(.Is incredible how in a month from a successful IT web developer I turned into a sad and miserable person, almost lost my business that I worked so hard to put it on the map, I am literally ashamed of me and most of all angry because I should have prevented this horrible diabetes. I've seen a while back on the web someone saying "I prefer to have HIV then diabetes", I kinda understand what the guy said.

Thank you all for the support and I wish you all god health.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Thank you all for the support and I wish you all god health.

.... and don't think we don't wish you the same :)

Your reaction is perfectly understandable but please remember this (at least for you) is stage 1. YOU WILL get thru it and the advice on here (at least as far as I'm concerned) is a mile ahead of what you might hear externally. Take care