Fasting with green juice.

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to start a 21 days fasting with green juice made from vegetables. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thank you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I've done longterm daily green smoothies, but not green juicing.

Do you know the impact of each green juice on your blood glucose? Might be worth checking them out first... I would aim at no more than a 2.0 mmol/l rise at 2 hours (that is 36mg/dl) if possible.

Have you ever heard of the Newcastle Diet? It is a very low calorie diet (800cal a day) which has a good success rate of reducing the fat in the liver, and in a very small study group it had excellent results at 'reversing' diabetes symptoms.

I think that green juicing is much more nutritious than Newcastle diet meal replacement style shakes, but you might find it interesting to read up on why and how very low calorie diets may have such beneficial effects.

This is a great thread on the subject:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/is-type-2-reversible-with-prof-roy-taylor.66863/

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried it this morning and I spiked 70 mg/dl, all green juice. I feel worse by the day, I think I will be gone soon.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried it this morning and I spiked 70 mg/dl, all green juice. I feel worse by the day, I think I will be gone soon.

I still think you need to get a second opinion on your diabetes - or a different diagnosis if there is something else happening too.

Can you get an appointment on Monday?

Try following the green smoothie link in my signature.
Very similar ingredients to green juicing, but without the blood glucose spikes (in my experience)

Also, how much are you eating every day?

Are you getting enough calories, in the form of protein and fat?
If we don't eat enough, the body goes into fasting-mode, and starts to use up its reserves, including muscle.
I've fasted for a week at a time, in the past, and it can be a miserable experience.

Foods that have minimal impact on blood glucose are meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter and oils.
If you eat those, you won't spike high.
Try eating proper portions of those, and see how you feel.
And, of course, keep testing your blood glucose, and test for ketones, if you can.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I just wanted to confirm that you are Type 1? As fasting for 21 days (3 weeks) is ringing alarm bells ? But I do not know if you are taking your Insulin, do you have any other medical conditions and taking medication for these, physically or emotionally? Could you tell us how long have you been diabetic for?

Take care RRB

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I just wanted to confirm that you are Type 1? As fasting for 21 days (3 weeks) is ringing alarm bells ? But I do not know if you are taking your Insulin, do you have any other medical conditions and taking medication for these, physically or emotionally? Could you tell us how long have you been diabetic for?

Take care RRB

Hi,

Tibi posted in another thread that he has been diagnosed type 2, but is struggling to maintain his BG levels, and the hospital told him he has some ketones (amount unknown).

He lives in a country with lower standards of hospital care than the UK.

Is that a fair description, Tibi?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi,

Tibi posted in another thread that he has been diagnosed type 2, but is struggling to maintain his BG levels, and the hospital told him he has some ketones (amount unknown).

He lives in a country with lower standards of hospital care than the UK.

Is that a fair description, Tibi?

Thanks I see now, as Tibi posted in Type 1, that's why I was a bit concerned. Hope he can start to feel a little better soon.

RRB

Reactions: 2 people