ENDOBARRIER

jjmoonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,
I am confused as to why nobody is talking about ENDOBARRIER (checkout www.endobarrier.com ) the last time it seemed to be discussed on the forum was 2008 when apparently at that time it was a major operation. My mother cut it out of the newspaper for me recently and I looked it up, it is a simple 15 minute procedure done by endoscope, no surgery and its being performed here in the UK.

It is put in for 12 months by which time sugar levels should be back in control and up to 20% of body weight could have been lost during that period of time; seems like a win-win to me, why isn't anyone talking about this? I shall be talking to my doctor about it on Monday as I have been summoned to the surgery due to poor ongoing test results.

checkout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLMKGPPS6Js&feature=plcp

JJ

iHs

Hi

On the Really channel last night 9pm there was a programme called The Fat Surgeons. It showed a gastric balloon being inserted so might be worth watching again for anyone interested in the Endobarrier.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
jjmoonie said:
Hi All,
I am confused as to why nobody is talking about ENDOBARRIER (checkout http://www.endobarrier.com ) the last time it seemed to be discussed on the forum was 2008 when apparently at that time it was a major operation. My mother cut it out of the newspaper for me recently and I looked it up, it is a simple 15 minute procedure done by endoscope, no surgery and its being performed here in the UK.

It is put in for 12 months by which time sugar levels should be back in control and up to 20% of body weight could have been lost during that period of time; seems like a win-win to me, why isn't anyone talking about this? I shall be talking to my doctor about it on Monday as I have been summoned to the surgery due to poor ongoing test results.

checkout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLMKGPPS6Js&feature=plcp

JJ

Hi JJ

I'm not sure but would hazard a guess to the reason why it isn't a hot topic.

If it is only in for 12 months that is fine, but what happens when it is taken out? Like all surgical procedures that aid weight loss it is not clear cut (pardon the pun) as surely there has to be some point to doing it. Why get it done if exactly the same lifestyle continues afterwards..the weight will go back on and possibly the levels will go up too if the food is the wrong type.

Only a guess though. :)

B'Gad

Hi JJ
I've seen the Endobarrier on at least two TV programmes in the last few months. Inside out on the BBC and then GMTV (now on Youtube) where a bunch of experts discussed it vs Bypass.
It seems to me that it is really safe, and works really well but the tube is taken out after a year. I guess this could be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your point of view. If you think you can keep your weight down after you've lost a load with the Endobarrier then you might not want your intestines fiddled about with permanently. If you want a permanent solution then it will be a bypass. Horses for courses.
I've seen a few places are offering it privately, one advertises on here, and i read about a person getting it on the NHS a few months ago. I think it was Southampton hospital. It might be worth asking your GP to refer you to there and ask if they do it on the NHS.
Good luck anyway, with whatever you decide.... be sure to keep posting!

ianerc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, if you do a search on Endobarrier on the forums you will see I gave a fairly detailed account of my experiences with it.

I had an Endobarrier fitted nearly a year ago. I was hugely optimistic that it would reduce my blood glucose and enable me top lose weight, especially after reading some positive reviews. The procedure costs £10,000 - a huge amount for a 25 min operation and a plastic sleeve! Fortunately, mine was partly covered by my private medical insurance as my helpful GP wrote a letter saying that the procedure was essential if I was to fulfil my normal life expectancy.

Nearly 12 months on, I am hugely disappointed with the results and can see no benefit whatsoever in having had this done. I lost a small amount of weight (18st down to 17st 8lbs) in the two weeks after the endobarrier was fitted but that was only because I was on quite a restricted diet and didn't feel great after the op. After that frankly, it is as if the procedure was never carried out (I did wonder if I had been conned!)

It seems to me that the Endobarrier itself makes no difference at all, It is the restricted diet and reduced portions that you are encouraged to eat that cause any weight loss. The obvious point is that those who have lost weight would have done so anyway if they had followed the restricted diet and therefore the money spent on the Endobarrier is a waste. You could argue that it has a placebo effect but it's a very expensive placebo! Look closely at how you are expected to eat post-Endobarrier and if you can do that, then do it without the Endobarrier! (but I guess like me, if you could change your eating habits you wouldn't be considering an Endobarrier in the first place)

I was also attracted by the promise of 'support' from the National Obesity Surgery Centre. This was nothing short of a joke. It consisted of various slightly patronising phone calls from people with hardly any knowledge or training just asking how things were. They even sent me a small paper plate in the post with lines drawn on it to show what food should go where and the portions you should have! It was laughable and it seems that they assume that if you are fat you must be REALLY stupid. As soon as you ask a remotely difficult question, the person is out of their depth and waffles. On several occasions, once the call had started I realised the person calling hadn't even bothered to look up what procedure I'd had done. The NOSC are a money making organisation, nothing more nothing less and whilst the notion of ongoing support may help sell their products the reality is that they are mainly staffed by poorly trained part timers who sound friendly and caring but actually know very little - so don't be fooled.

I don't normally post reviews but I hope this is helpful, even though I know it sounds negative. My children and wider family had such high hopes for the Endobarrier after all the marketing hype but I cannot stress enough how little difference it has made. Others may say differently and point to weight loss or reduced blood sugar but I strongly suspect that is down to eating less and nothing to do with the Endobarrier itself. My GP agrees. Be warned and ask lots of questions! Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

Clarkej

Hi ..I had the endo barrier in December 2011
And taken out December 2012
I lost 4 stone and still losing ..I also took fresh lemon juice in water each day to counteract the acid problem
I had no ill effects it made me eat less and still the same to this day ..I did research on it and decided it was the better option for ..my medication has been reduced by 3/4's and am looking to be off medication soon ..my HCB levels have been normal since the week I had it fitted ..and to me it was a godsend ....I highly recommend it but accept all bodies are different to the way they react to anything ..but for me ..brilliant

Sonoferin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ..I had the endo barrier in December 2011
And taken out December 2012
I lost 4 stone and still losing ..I also took fresh lemon juice in water each day to counteract the acid problem
I had no ill effects it made me eat less and still the same to this day ..I did research on it and decided it was the better option for ..my medication has been reduced by 3/4's and am looking to be off medication soon ..my HCB levels have been normal since the week I had it fitted ..and to me it was a godsend ....I highly recommend it but accept all bodies are different to the way they react to anything ..but for me ..brilliant

I am scheduled for a fitting in April, only thing is it is part of a Endobarrier study as it has not been approved here in the USA yet. The only down side right now is it is a double blind test so I might not get it fitted whilst I am under. However they say that if I am part of the control group, after 12 months I will be offered it anyway.

I see Clarke it was in 2013 you had it done I was wondering if you could post a follow up.
My only source of info on this has been mostly from the UK. Almost all Ive seen has been positive. I read one post from a guy who didn't have a great response to it..however after reading his story and realizing he was never really sticking to his diet by having 2-3 pints of beer a day didn't really take his story as a true review. One guy on youtube summed it all up for me really by saying "I have been given this new start and I will not go back to the way I was" That too me is someone that is serious about getting the diabetes under control and losing weight.
What you said also was echoed by a doctor and that was "the endobarrier procedure helps you change your ways with food and weightloss in general. I am hoping that is what happens to me.
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after a terrible car accident 7 years ago and have struggled with trying to lose the weight and thus the diabetes.
I used to drink about 10 -12 pints of Guinness a night about 3 nights a week (Irish lol)
I quit drinking after that accident (yes it was my own fault and no one else was involved.
I am looking forward to being off all meds and leading a normal healthy life.
Clarke I hope you continue to post your success here as it sounds like you are committed and are doing well.

Martin

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Clarkej has not posted since April 17 2013 so he probably won't update us!

Sonoferin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Clarkej has not posted since April 17 2013 so he probably won't update us!

That's too bad maybe he will check in sometime..
I will keep all posted that are interested as I go.

So far I have taken an A1C test, Weight, and what seems to be very important a vitamin D test
My A1C was high 8.3. BP was 139/82 (pre Hypertension) Weight 210 Height 5.5
I also had to supply a stool sample which apparently showed I have a H-Pylori infection in my stomach, so I am on a dual course of antibiotics. Some people told me this would be very uncomfortable and nasty, but I haven't had any bad reactions to this stuff. Except a taste on my tongue, and after this last week it has gone.
Also my vitamin D was fine (6 more people before me failed on this test) apparently the area where they put the Endobarrier has something to do with Vitamin D production or management.
Next is a Chest XRay that is scheduled for 10 days. After that I'm supposed to go in about April 10th for the procedure.
I have tried weight loss programs and diets and even though I had great success with the 6 week body makeover program, I gained it all back.

So Ill let you know if your interested.

Martin

Terry C

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Drug companies
That's too bad maybe he will check in sometime..
I will keep all posted that are interested as I go.

So far I have taken an A1C test, Weight, and what seems to be very important a vitamin D test
My A1C was high 8.3. BP was 139/82 (pre Hypertension) Weight 210 Height 5.5
I also had to supply a stool sample which apparently showed I have a H-Pylori infection in my stomach, so I am on a dual course of antibiotics. Some people told me this would be very uncomfortable and nasty, but I haven't had any bad reactions to this stuff. Except a taste on my tongue, and after this last week it has gone.
Also my vitamin D was fine (6 more people before me failed on this test) apparently the area where they put the Endobarrier has something to do with Vitamin D production or management.
Next is a Chest XRay that is scheduled for 10 days. After that I'm supposed to go in about April 10th for the procedure.
I have tried weight loss programs and diets and even though I had great success with the 6 week body makeover program, I gained it all back.

So Ill let you know if your interested.

Martin
I am from Australia and would like to share my EndoBarrier experience. The attached link is a good summary of my progress. I would be more than happy to answer any questions this raises and explain why I feel this is the best option currently available for Type 2 diabetes.

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/8821546/diabetes-treatment-a-revolution-for-suffers-health

Terry C

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Drug companies
I had an Endobarrier fitted nearly a year ago. I was hugely optimistic that it would reduce my blood glucose and enable me top lose weight, especially after reading some positive reviews. The procedure costs £10,000 - a huge amount for a 25 min operation and a plastic sleeve! Fortunately, mine was partly covered by my private medical insurance as my helpful GP wrote a letter saying that the procedure was essential if I was to fulfil my normal life expectancy.

Nearly 12 months on, I am hugely disappointed with the results and can see no benefit whatsoever in having had this done. I lost a small amount of weight (18st down to 17st 8lbs) in the two weeks after the endobarrier was fitted but that was only because I was on quite a restricted diet and didn't feel great after the op. After that frankly, it is as if the procedure was never carried out (I did wonder if I had been conned!)

It seems to me that the Endobarrier itself makes no difference at all, It is the restricted diet and reduced portions that you are encouraged to eat that cause any weight loss. The obvious point is that those who have lost weight would have done so anyway if they had followed the restricted diet and therefore the money spent on the Endobarrier is a waste. You could argue that it has a placebo effect but it's a very expensive placebo! Look closely at how you are expected to eat post-Endobarrier and if you can do that, then do it without the Endobarrier! (but I guess like me, if you could change your eating habits you wouldn't be considering an Endobarrier in the first place)

I was also attracted by the promise of 'support' from the National Obesity Surgery Centre. This was nothing short of a joke. It consisted of various slightly patronising phone calls from people with hardly any knowledge or training just asking how things were. They even sent me a small paper plate in the post with lines drawn on it to show what food should go where and the portions you should have! It was laughable and it seems that they assume that if you are fat you must be REALLY stupid. As soon as you ask a remotely difficult question, the person is out of their depth and waffles. On several occasions, once the call had started I realised the person calling hadn't even bothered to look up what procedure I'd had done. The NOSC are a money making organisation, nothing more nothing less and whilst the notion of ongoing support may help sell their products the reality is that they are mainly staffed by poorly trained part timers who sound friendly and caring but actually know very little - so don't be fooled.

I don't normally post reviews but I hope this is helpful, even though I know it sounds negative. My children and wider family had such high hopes for the Endobarrier after all the marketing hype but I cannot stress enough how little difference it has made. Others may say differently and point to weight loss or reduced blood sugar but I strongly suspect that is down to eating less and nothing to do with the Endobarrier itself. My GP agrees. Be warned and ask lots of questions! Good luck.
Are you still with us or was this just an anonymous post to spread dispersion about EndoBarrier. Let me assure you and others who may have read this that EndoBarrier does work. Clearly there was no change in diet after the first two weeks and most likely food intake was increased for there to only be a small loss in the first two weeks.

Here is my story. It works and saved my life.

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/8821546/diabetes-treatment-a-revolution-for-suffers-health

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on your success TerryC - I can understand why you are pleased with your results and are enthusiastic about trying to spread the good news.

But a word to the wise - people on forums get very tired of being told the same thing over and over, especially when it is accompanied by putting down other people's experiences. There is simply no one method or right way that works for everyone and this person's experience has as much right to be heard as yours - whether you choose to believe their experience or not. Just because endobarrier worked for you doesn't mean it will work - or even be suitable - for everyone with Type 2.

There are other methods that have a similar effect without surgery, for example the Newcastle Diet and Intermittent Fasting. There's a thread with videos about both here:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/reversing-diabetes-online-summit.55275/#post-510772

There's also the LCHF diet that is used successfully by many type 2s on this forum:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Aussie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry C

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Drug companies
Thank you Indi51 for your advice.

I agree there are a number of solutions to the type 2 problem and some are not applicable to all sufferers. I am also sensitive to forum protocol. What makes my blood boil are the anonymous posts planted by opponents to new solutions that do not fall within the accepted pharmacological protocol.

A single negative post with a name like saynotoendobarrier coupled with the standard negatives regularly spread by drug companies invites a challenge.

I followed the standard protocol to the letter including diet, exercise and medication. EndoBarrier saved my life and I have gone public with my real name to help others.

The answer to the pandemic is to prevent obesity in the first place. I am doing pro bono work on a telemedicine project in Botswana using SMS, monitoring, hypnosis and NLP. It is showing encouraging results.

I am on a personal crusade to help as many people as possible. I make no excuses for my obsession and intend to repay society for the second chance I have been given.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fair enough, Terry.

Personally I didn't get the feeling the person was a shill for anything - normally they pull some other miraculous cure out of their hat to flash instead. But equally there are people who hand over their health to other people and refuse to take responsibility for the outcome, then blame everybody else for their failure. Clearly you are not one of those - so congratulations again on turning things around for yourself :)

ianerc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the poeple on my trial had a great success. Endobarrier thought he was a poster boy. turns out he misunderstood the 15 calorie instructions and had spent 6 months on 800 calories a day.
The company put you on a 1200 calorie liquids only diet for 2 weeks. Most people lose weight, oddly. And then they tell you to eat only 1500 a day (for men). Well, that;s below the recommended minimum but strangely anyone who sticks to it loses weight. the the company claim a triumph for the product. I want to see the result of trials with NO change in diet. Given Endobarrier's only effect on appetite is psychological...

Terry C

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Drug companies
I disagree strongly with your comments. I went through the normal pharmacological protocols and nearly died. It was statins that caused my diabetes in the first place. I had Endobarrier 19 months ago and still do not take medication. I did not change diet and still lost 31Kgs. Endobarrier does change the need to eat by the natural action of food passing through the tube signalling to the brain that you have had enough. The combination of bile and pancreatic juices at the end of the tube produce natural peptides GLP1 which results in less insulin resistance. Hence I was able to stop taking medication. More importantly as I lost weight I was able to increase exercise. I have had it removed 5 months ago and have maintained weight and still no medication. When the legacy effect wears off I will get another Endobarrier and keep it in for 2 years. In the meantime I am enjoying a life that drugs denied me for many years.