winniethepooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
poachers
Hi everyone
I am relatively new to the forum so forgive me if this has been debated discussed to death!! I am type 2 diabetic and am needing to be increasingly careful with diet. I am pro the low carb diet. My question to you bio-chemists/nutritionists out there is this: If one goes on the low carbs and high fat diet - how much carbs can you have. My reading of some of the literature seems to suggest that carbs are item that causes the insulin resistance and therefore the cholesterol levels to rise. So this would seem to suggest that one should have very low levels of carbs. However, in my limited understanding of nutrition I recollect from somewhere that some carbs are necessary. In which case, if one is going to consume some carbs is it important that that they are low GI or is it just the volume that must be kept low.
Thanks for you respnses.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I started low carbing around 8 months ago, with around 100g of carbs per day. Eating to my meter (testing before and after each meal) and I soon found that lowering carbs even further reduced my blood sugar levels. I have now been very low carb (36g per day) for around 6 months now. I don't think you can go much lower than 36g per day (12g per meal). In my experience once you have achieved your ideal weight you can then go high fat. I am now what I would call very low carb very high fat.

In my experience, the less carbs you eat, the lower your blood sugar levels..... And the lower your blood sugar levels the less chance of getting diabetic complications.

Reactions: 5 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, we dont need ANY dietary carbs

(opinion from what ive learned, im no biochemist)

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I would just cut carbs gradually until you are at a level that suits you. On another thread I seem to remember your BG's were generally quite good now? Do you have any weight to lose?

Reactions: 7 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I get my carbs from my veg as in salads etc.
And what @andy 1234 said.
But, to start you need to reduce them slowly, not all at once, there are plenty of ideas for every meal on this site, have a nose around and see what suits you.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i wasnt suggesting a zero carb diet by the way, i was just saying i dont believe we actually need them for brain function etc like it is often stated

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Carbs from veg (above ground) And lower carbs from berries.

Not a scientist, but know I'm
In better shape despite t1 diabetes 30+ years than the rest of my carb shovelling friends n neighbours etc....

Incidentally my brothers aren't carb shovelleds either and they still very lean and very fit without any illness at 55 and 58 yrs old... They too eat fat more than carbs.

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi everyone
I am relatively new to the forum so forgive me if this has been debated discussed to death!! I am type 2 diabetic and am needing to be increasingly careful with diet. I am pro the low carb diet. My question to you bio-chemists/nutritionists out there is this: If one goes on the low carbs and high fat diet - how much carbs can you have. My reading of some of the literature seems to suggest that carbs are item that causes the insulin resistance and therefore the cholesterol levels to rise. So this would seem to suggest that one should have very low levels of carbs. However, in my limited understanding of nutrition I recollect from somewhere that some carbs are necessary. In which case, if one is going to consume some carbs is it important that that they are low GI or is it just the volume that must be kept low.
Thanks for you respnses.
www.dietdoctor.com
http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-win-an-argument-with-a-nutritionist/
These helped me. I avoid starchy carbs as there are enough carbs in veg. It's worked for me. See my stats. Good luck!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I get my carbs from my veg as in salads etc.
And what @andy 1234 said.
But, to start you need to reduce them slowly, not all at once, there are plenty of ideas for every meal on this site, have a nose around and see what suits you.
disagree. Ditched the lot on diagnosis. Felt **** for 3 days but never looked back.

Reactions: 10 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
i wasnt suggesting a zero carb diet by the way, i was just saying i dont believe we actually need them for brain function etc like it is often stated
Not being pedantic mate! But is a zero carb diet possible as we do need veg and a certain amount of fruit! We just can't only eat meat and protein?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
its physically possible, ive read of at least one person trying it on here, but it didnt sound like a very good idea or pleasant

@nosher8355

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
disagree. Ditched the lot on diagnosis. Felt **** for 3 days but never looked back.
I thought that to do that was dangerous for some depending on other health problems other than just diabetes!
But I like your thinking on both your posts!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I thought that to do that was dangerous for some depending on other health problems other than just diabetes!
But I like your thinking on both your posts!
Good question! Don't know! The thought of losing limbs kind of spured me on!

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is safer to cut carbs gradually though, it can cause eye problems if you drop your BG's too quickly. Although I don't think the OP need worry about this as I think his BG's are quite good now.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not being pedantic mate! But is a zero carb diet possible as we do need veg and a certain amount of fruit! We just can't only eat meat and protein?
I really don't think that many people cut out all vegetables, all types of fruit including berries.,or dairy (including many cheeses) . Perhaps, they don't eat legumes (though these are far lower GI than the carb content would suggest) , grains but all of these things I've mentioned contain carbohydrates (heck even liver contains a little)
ie to cut carbs completely you have to cut all these things along with the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrient (and indeed protein and fat they contain)
I sometimes think that we are all referring to different things when the word carbohydrates is mentioned.

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I really don't think that many people cut out all vegetables, all types of fruit including berries.,or dairy (including many cheeses) . Perhaps, they don't eat legumes (though these are far lower GI than the carb content would suggest) , grains but all of these things I've mentioned contain carbohydrates (heck even liver contains a little)
ie to cut carbs completely you have to cut all these things along with the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrient (and indeed protein and fat they contain)
I sometimes think that we are all referring to different things when the word carbohydrates is mentioned.
I do go along with what you have posted but some low carb foods spike me that's why we test hence the debate on how much to have or not.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm very prone to insulin resistance. VERY.

I can eat unlimited amounts of green veg, nuts, and similar, but the moment I start adding in starchy root veg, fruit, legumes and grains, my insulin resistance starts to hike. And my pre-prandial readings go up to match.

So, I do best on small quantities of berries, green and above ground veg, carnivorous protein sources and milk-free dairy.
Then I add in morsels of delicious extras, like 70% choc, 9 bars, etc.

When I am keeping to this diet, and my pre-prandial levels are consistently at their lowest, I don't worry about my fat intake AT ALL.

On the other hand, as soon as I veer off that way of eating, my IR and pre-prandials rise, and I start getting twitchy about the fat.

In my opinion, it is like a seesaw - fat on one side, carbs on the other. High fat requires low carbs to balance it. High carbs needs low fat, to balance. the actual tipping point depends on your personal level of insulin resistance, at any one time. And that can be affected by amount of carbs eaten, amount of fat eaten, food intolerances, stress, sleep deprivation, amount of exercise.

Because of my ridiculous propensity for IR, I find it blissfully simple to just to stick to LCHF, no grains or starchy veg, and roughly eat as much protein, green veg, berries and fats as I like.

Did that make sense?

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Totally agree... Zero carbs to me is "bulls**t"
And impossible unless just drinking water...

Lower carbs to me is 20-60 and thats my eating.. Somedays 20, some days 60... But with above ground veg n salad. Always nuts, cheese n cream as well now.

I rarely eat puddings.. Except the £9.99 gigantic ones meant for 2 on occasional meals out. I wither have berries for breakfast or if I'm
Late I count them as a pudding instead....

No meal is actually calculated for a days carb counting. I'm happy eating what I eat, have no cravings and slim.

Incidentally, seeing a meal plan of what an anorexic has to eat to put on 1kg a week is horrendous to me!!! I look forward to seeing what her meal plan will be when she gets to the maintenance programme... To see how the NHS can balance a days food!!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree... Zero carbs to me is "bulls**t"
And impossible unless just drinking water...

Lower carbs to me is 20-60 and thats my eating.. Somedays 20, some days 60... But with above ground veg n salad. Always nuts, cheese n cream as well now.

I rarely eat puddings.. Except the £9.99 gigantic ones meant for 2 on occasional meals out. I wither have berries for breakfast or if I'm
Late I count them as a pudding instead....

No meal is actually calculated for a days carb counting. I'm happy eating what I eat, have no cravings and slim.

Incidentally, seeing a meal plan of what an anorexic has to eat to put on 1kg a week is horrendous to me!!! I look forward to seeing what her meal plan will be when she gets to the maintenance programme... To see how the NHS can balance a days food!!!!

How is your friend doing DD? I'm sure the inner battles for her to gain weight must be a nightmare for her.