Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i wonder how many folks gets some rare attention because of the snow, i know personally i knock on elderly neighbours doors when it snows to see if they need anything, i dont knock any other time lol

Reactions: 4 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After living in Pennsylvania for 35 years, I've seen enough snow and ice (including 17 ice storms one January) to last me a lifetime. Since I am petrified of walking anywhere that may be icy, I dread winter. I have a real phobia of falling, so snow means that I don't leave the house at all. :( I am thrilled that our part of West Yorkshire rarely gets it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Agree we should knock on doors of elderly...

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
According to metcheck no snow... Again:(

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im into thermals too, ive been wearing em for a few weeks, even then its still bloody cold at work, thank god for wooly willy warmers huh

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
its that most wonderful time of the year......
Or so the song goes. Am I the only one who is wishing for snow?

I love snow, films with snow in it, a weather documentary, walking in snow, (carefully, if ice is about), so bright, did I say I love snow.:D But living down South, not so much lately, Snow yes, wind, rain and more rain, no :eek:

images

RRB

Last edited by a moderator:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know we all will make sure our cars are ready for the winter with regard to lights,tyres and windscreen wash etc;
But one thing that catches many of us out is the battery, most garages etc; will give a free battery check.
"Car battery’s usually last no longer than five years; so if your battery is coming to the end of its life as winter approaches it might be worthwhile changing it in order to avoid the inconvenience of a breakdown especially just before work etc; "
The snow we can handle, the black ice we cannot see.
I am so pleased for the 4X4s when it snows as it is the only time they can use 4 wheel drive.
Cars with abs ( antilock braking system ) are probably best in severe conditions ). My car has neither. she is a oldie.:pompous:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
We might get snow this year , just in time for christmas ....I know this because I have made a wish and sent it to Santa ;) x

Well then, snow will definitely be on the way ,:happy: (that's why this season is called winter) :D

RRB

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Say NO to sNOw! I love it in theory now, but hate it in practice! :D

Last time we had snow a couple of years back - the local roads weren't gritted or cleared, we (and others) were just about out of oil and the oil company refused to deliver to our village, we had power cuts - so I've learned to invest my annual fuel allowance in more thermal underwear. :p:p The local baker ran out of yeast so wasn't able to bake any bread. We don't live out in the wilds, we are less than 5 mins from A34/M4 junction, and the amount of snow that fell was quite trivial compared to some falls we've had previously!

And...

Nobody came knocking on the door to see if we were OK - my husband's the one who ends up checking up on people in our road!

Robbity

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
North-Snow-Widescreen-Wallpaper.jpg

A stunning and beautiful image <3

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Robbity Snow looks lovely, but the practicalities of dealing with it.......aaaaarrrgggghhh. One year we were without power for a couple of days, we did have a gas hob to cook on but no heating except a gas fire in the lounge. It was a nightmare. I really don't want to go through that again.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Snow would be nice on Christmas day provided it's gone by Boxing day ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

Last time we had snow a couple of years back - the local roads weren't gritted or cleared, we (and others) were just about out of oil and the oil company refused to deliver to our village, we had power cuts - so I've learned to invest my annual fuel allowance in more thermal underwear. :p:p The local baker ran out of yeast so wasn't able to bake any bread. We don't live out in the wilds, we are less than 5 mins from A34/M4 junction, and the amount of snow that fell was quite trivial compared to some falls we've had previously!

And...

Nobody came knocking on the door to see if we were OK - my husband's the one who ends up checking up on people in our road!

Robbity
Awww Robbity! I would have knocked on your door! :angelic:

C

chris lowe

On another thread people were reminiscing about the old days. For me 1963 was the worst type of weather that I have experienced. Continually freezing for two months. Icicles everywhere, really cold all the time! I hated it as we couldn't afford to keep fire going, only Lino in the bedroom, coats and extra blankets on the bed. Thin clothes. All six of us in living room trying to make the best as parents couldn't get to work, not enough money coming in.
Snow and cold temperatures ideal on a postcard and on holiday with appropriate clothing etc.
But even in modern Britain an awful lot of elderly and disadvantaged really suffer.
The country comes to a standstill with a heavy frost!!!
Sorry @Scandichic I do like snow but there is more cons than pros!
I remember '63 too, the millpond outside the house was frozen over right the way across -it usually didn't freeze in the middle as there was a river which ran out to the harbour - so we could skate from one side to the other. I don't remeber he buses or trains stopping and I certainly didn't get out of going to school . Mind you there was no health & safety then to stop us going or stop us from having snowball fights in the playground.

Reactions: 4 people
C

chris lowe

And...

Robbity
A friend has spent his winter fuel allowance on a portable gas heater and a couple of gas canisters just in case we have power cuts and he cant use the gas central heating (I must admit I didn't think of the pump needeng electricity). He and his wife are both in their 80"s so they don't want to risk getting cold.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I remember '63 too, the millpond outside the house was frozen over right the way across -it usually didn't freeze in the middle as there was a river which ran out to the harbour - so we could skate from one side to the other. I don't remeber he buses or trains stopping and I certainly didn't get out of going to school . Mind you there was no health & safety then to stop us going or stop us from having snowball fights in the playground.
It is the only time in my life that I have seen ice going out on the tide down the Mersey!!
We still had to go to school, it was the warmest place to be!
The thaw was worst as the pipes had frozen and no matter how much insulation and coats etc that my dad put on the exposed pipes they still froze . We had pans, buckets, anything to stop water getting everywhere.
We still used an outside toilet!!
When you went sometimes you couldn't go! Because it was so cold. Our coal bunker was other side of toilet, and muggins(me!) was volunteered to always go and get it! I was the youngest.
There was a lot of shortages and we couldn't afford much then.
If I remember the country came to a complete standstill for ages.
It is still has the lowest crime figures for modern times those couple of months!!