Acceptable Spikes...

sshaw99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

just a question about spikes after eating.

I've been diagnosed almost a month now and have (generally) reduced my pre-meal readings from high teens down to low/mid fives and most of my post meal readings (1 hour then 2 hour readings) down to mostly under 2mm/L.
Occasionally some of my spikes after eating are >2mm/L but remain under 8.5mm/L. For example today immediately before my Sunday lunch I was 5.4. After 1 hour I was 8.2 and then after 2 hours was 7.6.
Is this acceptable or do >2mm/L spikes still cause potential issues to diabetics???
The rise was most likely due to the mashed potato and Yorkshire pudding. Will have to either cut them out or seriously reduce the portion size I think - just hope it doesn't offend my mother by eating less of her cooking!

Thanks,
Steve

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the lower the better :) but your doing really well, im sure she wants your health to be good and would tolerate you not eating the spuds :)

have you heard of cheesy cauliflower mash as an alternative to mashed potatos?

Reactions: 2 people

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds good but not great. everything you can do to keep your BG within normal levels will make your general health better. Good results:)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well after just a month I think it is actually great - Rome wasn't built in day - and there has to be a learning curve food-wise.

But definitely try for as reasonably low and flat as you can manage, and take heed of what your meter's telling you.:) Some meters can be set to record trends over various periods, and that's a very useful way of charting your progress.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people