Newly diagnosed T2, my story so far & a few questions.

Louleelou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone. I'm a 43 year old female diagnosed with Diabetes T2 5 weeks ago.

Here's my journey so far! (*deep breath* & my apologies if my first post is a bit long winded)

For the past 9 months or so I had a dull aching pain just below my rib cage on my left hand. As I have an AWFUL fear of Doctors/hospitals & with me being me I did nothing about it, just took pain killers which had little no or effect.
6 weeks ago I woke up feeling so ill, dizzy, clammy & started to vomit up blood, the amount was horrendous. I collapsed & fell unconscious. I was rushed to hospital under blue light by ambulance.

First day in hospital was a bit of a blur but it turned out I had burst duodenal ulcer & was told I was also Diabetic, my BG on admission was 28.5. I was given 2 blood transfusions, insulin & other drips etc to treat both the ulcer & Diabetes. I was discharged 4 days later & prescribed medication for both conditions. For the Diabetes I was put on 2 x slow release Metformin daily.

2 weeks after been discharged (still feeling weak, tired, lethargic all the time) I had my 1st appointment with the
Diabetic nurse at my GP's surgery. Nurse was very good informing me on all the basics about diet etc but then she tested my urine & told me I had very high Ketones levels!!!??!!! She then tested my BG, it was 23.8, I was told wait in the room & she went & got the GP. He gave me an examination & told me he has to dial for an ambulance right away as my body was slowing down.
So another 9 days were spent in hospital, BG levels for the 1st few days were in the high 20's, then dropped to the mid/high teens. Discharged with my Metformin increased to 3 tablets a day.

Home from hospital a week now & feeling not much better. First thing I invested in was a monitor, my levels are still in the high/mid teens. I'm on quite a bit of other medication for my ulcer, anti sickness, pain relief, etc. I feel my whole day is spent popping pills. I'm trying so hard to try & eat a low carb diet but my appetite is minimal (I'm guessing that's down to the ulcer, I still have tests to have over that)

I'm just wondering now how long I've had diabetes as it was years since I seen Dr, because of my fear?

Now a few questions, does diabetes cause constipation as I've suffered with this for a good few years? Does it cause joint pain especially in the shoulder & thigh? Does it take time for the Metformin to kick in? Could it be the other drugs I'm on keeping my levels high? Another factor, I've lost almost 4 stone in 3 years, never dieted it's just fallen of me.

I feel I'm just in a really dark place ATM, my family are very supportive but I feel they don't understand, it's hard enough for me trying to get my head round!!

I have to have another blood test next week then see the nurse again the week after.

Are my symptoms typical of a newly diagnosed T2? Any feed back would be so much appreciated.

Anyway, I think I've rambled on long enough for now, I promise to keep any more posts to a minimal!

I'm so glad I've found this forum & hope to contribute & follow as much as possible.

Thank you.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear of your awful medical problems. Hopefully some type 2's will be along with some help and advice.

I hope you start to feel better very soon, take care.

Best wishes RRB :)

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I was diagnosed 22 September 2014 having being told I was Pre Diabetic for a year before.
It does come as a shock, but as everybody says here 'don't panic'.

Youve aready done one of the most important things and that is getting the meter to test your sugar levels. As every one here will explain you should be testing just before eating a meal and then 2 hrs after to find which foods affect you most.

You will have to cut out alot of carbs. Most here follow a Low Carbohydrate High Fat Diet (LCHF)

You will definately get a lot of support here, and as they say Daisy will be along with a comprehensive list of information for all newcomers.

I found it all very duanting had never been on a forum before to post anything, but you have definately come to the right place everyone will give you a lot of help and I'm sure will answer your questions.

I'm not qualified to answer all our questions but I am able to say your figures are a little high, but don't panic as with the correct diet, which is not difficult they will start to come down.

You mentioned you had lost alot of weight well that is something all of us are trying to do on here so you will have a head start on some.

Suggest in the meatime have a look round the forum and ask as many questions as you need to.

Reactions: 4 people

Louleelou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you daddys1 for your kind reply. I guess I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance that I'm not the only T2 with my current symptoms. A newly paranoid diagnosed diabetic comes to mind! ☺️

Forget to mention in my first my post I'm also due to have an eye screening test & to see a Podiatrist. Can any advise me on what these both test involve & what they look for? Do you get the results of both tests straight away?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Louleelou and welcome to the forum

I think we can only speculate on some of the questions you raise. You ask,how long you are likely to have been t2 and my guess is for quite a while now if your levels on diagnosis were in the twenties.

You say that you lost a lot of weight over the last three years without dieting. This is more common in t1 diabetics rather than t2s. The loss of weight is caused because our body can either not produce (t1 diabetics) or can not utilise (t2 diabetics) insulin to transfer glucose out of our blood stream and into our cells where it is needed as a fuel. Starved of energy from glucose our body cells start using protein and fat as alternative energy sources and consequently loss of muscle and body fat resulting in weight loss follows.

As I said this is more common in T1s rather than T2s. Do you know if you have been given the antibody test to determine if you are late onset t1 rather than t2 or not. If you did not have this already, I believe you should ask to be tested.

Stress and anxiety can both raise blood sugars as they cause hormones to be released that inhibit the action of insulin.

Illness or injury or infection can also increase glucose levels, so your ulcer is probably also contributing.

Metformin takes 2-3 weeks to kick in, in my experience but does not make a huge difference to your levels. It may be contributing to your loss of appetite. The biggest single influence on a t2 diabetic's glucose levels is diet and particularly carbs.

Please keep testing your levels and get yourself back to the hospital if you see that you are back in the twenties.

I have tried to answer your questions.

In doing so, I am conscious that I may be giving you reason to feel more worried and higher anxiety, which is not what I set out to do.

You need to try to relax without being any less vigilant.

Diabetes is a serious disease but it can be managed and controlled. Ask as many questions as you feel you need to and I am sure that plenty on this forum will be happy to share their experience with dealing with diabetes with you.

Rest assured that this is a condition that, provided you respect its rules, still allows for a full and satisfying life. Many on this forum, including me, can honestly say that we are fitter and healthier since diagnosis than we would have been without it.

All the best

Pavlos

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you daddys1 for your kind reply. I guess I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance that I'm not the only T2 with my current symptoms. A newly paranoid diagnosed diabetic comes to mind! ☺️

Forget to mention in my first my post I'm also due to have an eye screening test & to see a Podiatrist. Can any advise me on what these both test involve & what they look for? Do you get the results of both tests straight away?

Hi Seems you have an excellent reply from Pavlos.

I have not had the podiatrist as yet, but I have been told buy a Type 1 friend, is that they test your feet with a senitive type feeler to check your feelings in your feet. But will also cut you nails and ensure everything is OK.

As for the Eye Screening, I have just had this and that just entalied looking into a camera like when you have your eyes tested and photo's being taken. Its to see whether there are any leaking or leak blood vessells on the back of the eye. I am told that they are able to do a lot should there be any damage. I was told there was minor damage that would not need treating at the moment and to keep my sugars in the correct range.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Louleelou and welcome to the forum

You say that you lost a lot of weight over the last three years without dieting. This is more common in t1 diabetics rather than t2s.

As I said this is more common in T2s rather than T1s.

Sorry Pavlos I think you do mean it is more common in T1 rather than T2's

I'm noy sure so maybe you need to qualify.........sorry

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry Pavlos I think you do mean it is more common in T1 rather than T2's

I'm noy sure so maybe you need to qualify.........sorry
You are 100% correct. In fact I had noted my error and edited my post already. Weight loss pre diagnosis is more common in T1s for the reasons that I have analysed.

Regards

Pavlos

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are 100% correct. In fact I had noted my error and edited my post already. Weight loss pre diagnosis is more common in T1s for the reasons that I have analysed.

Regards

Pavlos

I'd like to know how you edit your post I'm forever making errors!!!!!!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

On the iPhone app you tap on your entry to select it and a pop up menu appears from which you can select edit.

On the iPad you have to select more from the first pop up menu that appears when you tap your entry and this brings up a second pop up menu which includes the edit option.

Regards

Pavlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, at the bottom left of your post, you should see, edit, delete and post, just click on edit and when you finish, click on save changes and that's it.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the iPhone app you tap on your entry to select it and a pop up menu appears from which you can select edit.

On the iPad you have to select more from the first pop up menu that appears when you tap your entry and this brings up a second pop up menu which includes the edit option.

Regards

Pavlos

Hi, at the bottom left of your post, you should see, edit, delete and post, just click on edit and when you finish, click on save changes and that's it.

Yes Thanks understand now, thought the edit button was for before you posted

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello @Louleelou and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information, mentioned in @daddy1 's post, which we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask more questions, and in addition to the good answers you have already had, you will get more advice.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone. I'm a 43 year old female diagnosed with Diabetes T2 5 weeks ago.

Here's my journey so far! (*deep breath* & my apologies if my first post is a bit long winded)

For the past 9 months or so I had a dull aching pain just below my rib cage on my left hand. As I have an AWFUL fear of Doctors/hospitals & with me being me I did nothing about it, just took pain killers which had little no or effect.
6 weeks ago I woke up feeling so ill, dizzy, clammy & started to vomit up blood, the amount was horrendous. I collapsed & fell unconscious. I was rushed to hospital under blue light by ambulance.

First day in hospital was a bit of a blur but it turned out I had burst duodenal ulcer & was told I was also Diabetic, my BG on admission was 28.5. I was given 2 blood transfusions, insulin & other drips etc to treat both the ulcer & Diabetes. I was discharged 4 days later & prescribed medication for both conditions. For the Diabetes I was put on 2 x slow release Metformin daily.

2 weeks after been discharged (still feeling weak, tired, lethargic all the time) I had my 1st appointment with the
Diabetic nurse at my GP's surgery. Nurse was very good informing me on all the basics about diet etc but then she tested my urine & told me I had very high Ketones levels!!!??!!! She then tested my BG, it was 23.8, I was told wait in the room & she went & got the GP. He gave me an examination & told me he has to dial for an ambulance right away as my body was slowing down.
So another 9 days were spent in hospital, BG levels for the 1st few days were in the high 20's, then dropped to the mid/high teens. Discharged with my Metformin increased to 3 tablets a day.

Home from hospital a week now & feeling not much better. First thing I invested in was a monitor, my levels are still in the high/mid teens. I'm on quite a bit of other medication for my ulcer, anti sickness, pain relief, etc. I feel my whole day is spent popping pills. I'm trying so hard to try & eat a low carb diet but my appetite is minimal (I'm guessing that's down to the ulcer, I still have tests to have over that)

I'm just wondering now how long I've had diabetes as it was years since I seen Dr, because of my fear?

Now a few questions, does diabetes cause constipation as I've suffered with this for a good few years? Does it cause joint pain especially in the shoulder & thigh? Does it take time for the Metformin to kick in? Could it be the other drugs I'm on keeping my levels high? Another factor, I've lost almost 4 stone in 3 years, never dieted it's just fallen of me.

I feel I'm just in a really dark place ATM, my family are very supportive but I feel they don't understand, it's hard enough for me trying to get my head round!!

I have to have another blood test next week then see the nurse again the week after.

Are my symptoms typical of a newly diagnosed T2? Any feed back would be so much appreciated.

Anyway, I think I've rambled on long enough for now, I promise to keep any more posts to a minimal!

I'm so glad I've found this forum & hope to contribute & follow as much as possible.

Thank you.
hopefully you are T2 and your BG will be fine in a few weeks..and the following is worse case ...
I would contact your Dr again...it could be late onset T1.. you don't sound like a T2 on metformin and diet, diabetic to me. also take onboard what @pavlosn said,
I ring and make an appointment and I would ask for the C-peptide blood test
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/c-peptide-test.html

better safe than sorry...given you aren't eating, urine ketone strip won't be accurate, I would get the nurse to do a blood ketone test ..if you are financial, I'd simply buy a blood ketone meter and a pack of ketone blood strips, [the meter you bought may or may not take the ketone strips, your chemist will know] if it was me and I had blood glucose over 13 and blood ketones over 1.0-1.5, a trip to A&E is in order.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Louleelou

Perhaps the weight loss is a symptom of high glucose levels rather than t2 or t1.

Such high levels on diagnosis would appear more often in t1s than t2s as the former are unable to produce insulin and so their levels would rise rapidly.

A t2 may have impaired production and utilization of insulin but this should result in a slower increase of average blood glucose levels, so on diagnosis will usually be lower than a t1, not high enough for weight loss to become a symptom.

Perhaps the fact that your anxiety kept you away from hospitals and doctors has meant that you took longer than most t2 to be diagnosed giving you time to reach the high glucose count you had on first diagnosis and to start experiencing weight loss.

As @jack412 suggests a c-peptide test is probably a good idea, just in case.

You would not be the first late onset t1 to be misdiagnosed as t2. Although my money is probably still on t2.

Pavlos

Louleelou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks to you all who have replied. Your informative, knowledgeable but most of all honest answers are so much appreciated. I've taken all your advice on board!!

Regrading the antibody & C-Peptide tests, can I request/demand this is done? Do I ask my Diabetic nurse or does a GP have to approve this?

My monitor does not test for ketones levels, I'm currently using the One Touch but the strips are £25 for 50 which I find disgusting - but needs must ATM.

BG levels today are in the mid/ high teens again but thankfully not in the 20's.

I'm still trying to find my way around this forum on how to tag people etc. I've also got to learn all the jargon/abbreviations but I will get there no doubt, eventually. ☺️

Once again thank you everyone for your time & effort & I mean that from the bottom of my heart. X

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks to you all who have replied. Your informative, knowledgeable but most of all honest answers are so much appreciated. I've taken all your advice on board!!

My monitor does not test for ketones levels, I'm currently using the One Touch but the strips are £25 for 50 which I find disgusting - but needs must ATM.

Hi There,

The 'SD Code Free' Glocose meter is cheap about £11.60 you can get strips 50 testing strips for £6.95 I just bought 10 x 50 and got a £17.00 discount off £69.79 That's 5.30 for 50.

You can get it at http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm
then you do not have to worry when you test.

Neil

Louleelou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ta Neil, just had a look at the link you sent me. I will seriously consider purchasing one as the strips compared to the One Touch are so much cheaper! (Wish I'd known before hand) I'm going to ask my GP & nurse if they will prescribe me the strips for my current monitor first, but I've got a feeling they will say no after all I've read! It's so wrong!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Louleelou,

I noticed on another thread you mentioned you haven't had all your questions answered yet. Which ones are still outstanding?