Question for those who have used low carbs for more than 5 years and have maintained their weigh

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed! Another reason why I am here.....I gather that the best and only certain way to loose and maintain weight loss....for the majority, is by surgical banding or suchlike...and that the long term success rate on ALL diets and eating plans is low if analysed statistically...a life style change is apparently easier to maintain over the years than only changing what one puts in ones mouth...25,000 different books on diets say a lot too!!!
Now I find myself disagreeing. The best way to lose weight is to eat less than you use.

Reactions: 4 people

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed! Another reason why I am here.....I gather that the best and only certain way to loose and maintain weight loss....for the majority, is by surgical banding or suchlike...and that the long term success rate on ALL diets and eating plans is low if analysed statistically...a life style change is apparently easier to maintain over the years than only changing what one puts in ones mouth...thousands of different books on diets say a lot too!
and I personally, think that personality is often the key to success or not....now that really would be a tricky question to ask on this site...I can just imagine some of the responses! might try it when more time

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
and I personally, think that personality is often the key to success or not....now that really would be a tricky question to ask on this site...I can just imagine some of the responses! might try it when more time
Woulndt bother if I was you:)

Reactions: 4 people

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've maintained LCHF for 6 1/2 years. It's a lifestyle, not a diet. My BMI has been around 25-26 since I started. Down from about 27-29.
Well done Ian.....it is good to hear the success stories! Sorry I missed replying to your post.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed! Another reason why I am here.....I gather that the best and only certain way to loose and maintain weight loss....for the majority, is by surgical banding or suchlike...and that the long term success rate on ALL diets and eating plans is low if analysed statistically...a life style change is apparently easier to maintain over the years than only changing what one puts in ones mouth...thousands of different books on diets say a lot too!

What? What? Do you really believe gastric banding or bypass is an assured and successful way to lose weight? For some it is, but for many it fails. For some individuals, their addiction to food is such they will blend ice-cream, chocolate or even full dinners in order to be able to consume them.

I could personally introduce you to someone (and it isn't me) for whom a gastric band did not work. She more than halved her body weight, but all she was eating was chocolate, curry and chips; albeit they were liquidised so that she could consume them. As a result of her malnutrition (due to only eating a poor diet), she had to have the band removed and she promptly regained all of her weight. Anyone who thinks bariatric surgery is an easy option is deluded.

As a matter of interest, what sort of doctor are you?

Reactions: 11 people

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What? What? Do you really believe gastric banding or bypass is an assured and successful way to lose weight? For some it is, but for many it fails. For some individuals, their addiction to food is such they will blend ice-cream, chocolate or even full dinners in order to be able to consume them.

I could personally introduce you to someone (and it isn't me) for whom a gastric band did not work. She more than halved her body weight, but all she was eating was chocolate, curry and chips; albeit they were liquidised so that she could consume them. As a result of her malnutrition (due to only eating a poor diet), she had to have the band removed and she promptly regained all of her weight. Anyone who thinks bariatric surgery is an easy option is deluded.

I said for the majority...ie more than 50 % Those figures are correct

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

So, you believe that for greater than 50% of people, the most effective way to lose weight is bariatric surgery?

If you are certain those figures are correct, could you please share your sources? I would be fascinated to read them.

Reactions: 2 people

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I find myself disagreeing. The best way to lose weight is to eat less than you use.
I stand corrected...as my naval dad would say....and agree with you that the best way to loose weight is to eat less than we use...I should have said the best success rate statistically speaking for successful maintenence is surgical, but the risks are such that it is only reserved for selected patients with selected medical problems....how careful one has to be with everything one says here!!!!! No doubt some fear to open their mouths?
Unfortunately have always loved discussion and arguments.. signing off again....

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thank you very much for that most sensible comment,

As I've said above, keeping to any restricted eating plan gives me weight loss but eventually I get distracted, loose motivation etc....had a good few years when I got addicted to exercise ran Marathons and Triathlons, and ate whatever I wanted without gainijg weight ( coeliac so am not high carbs), but found I could not do fast training when on very low carbs ( Atkins) because of the ketosis and resulting cardiac arrythmia....My best eating plan when concentrating and motivated, is a Dr Fuhrmans high veges with proteins and more or less avoiding the starches...and trying to eat slowly "in the moment" like a thin person does! ( Paul Mckenna )

More interest than concern at the moment...was worried by rise in Hb1c to 40, upper limits of normal and recent peripheral hyperaesthesia of the toes, which may not be assoc with BS anyway.....

Excellent website, fund of knowledge...just not enough time in life to fit in everything at the moment....

And yes, you are correct in diagnosing that I have some resistance, as a doctor, to diets which depend on ketosis for their rapid effects.....but have no wish to upset those who are really pleased and happy with that way of eating, and are finding it successful.....as you so rightly say we each have to find what suits us best:happy:

Thank you for sharing
Hilary

Hilary IMO for diabetics it is not really about diet, it is about lowering ones BG to normal levels and eliminating daily BG spikes throughout the day - a big part is not accepting the ADA or NHS target levels

How one accomplish that is really unimportant . whether it be with diet, exercise, meds, insulin or combinations of each.

But from years of experience and studies reducing ones carb intake tailored to each individual has one of the biggest affects on BG levels.

I personal believe now calorie restriction is also important and getting ones BMI down to the lower end of normal is important too but very difficult.

If you have diabetes it is not about diet but about managing a chronic DEADLY disease on a daily basis without a break.

IMO once one accepts that fact managing it becomes easier along with what it takes to stay compliant.

Reactions: 5 people

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

...and what sort of doctor am I? very old and very dim!

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LOL ...I'm a semiretired GP with special interests in Women's health and Sports Medicine...now working in Community Womens Health at local hospital in Auckland, NZ......trained at Cambridge University ( Newnham) and St Thomas's hospital back in the late 50's...Husband was Orthopaedic surgeon, died 10 years ago...we emigrated to NZ in 1972...daughter a psychiatrist, her oldest son is training for General practice at the moment....

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
did you watch the videos I first gave you,?
I think it's something like 70-80% success rate for gut surgery,
a heck of a lot better than the average dieter with ~5% success rate with the diet industry. after 3-10 years they are normally back where they started.
anyone that stops their LCHF way of eating that is working for them and goes back to above their insulin resistance level of carbs, will put on weight. and why 'eat to your meter' is important.
the idea is to find your level, this link talks the general population
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm

Reactions: 3 people

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

a heck of a lot better than the average dieter with ~5% success rate with the diet industry. after 3-10 years they are normally back where they started.
anyone that stops their LCHF way of eating that is working for them and goes back to above their insulin resistance level of carbs, will put on weight. and why 'eat to your meter' is important.

Excellent website recommendation, thank you Jack