REALLY Worried! Any advice please?

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Along with all the great advice here, I wanted to add a few tips of my own regarding the needle phobia. I am not 'afraid' of needles per se, but of the pain. I have very poor veins and have to have the phlebotomist do it. She has to do it from my hand. I use plenty of Emla cream (applied and wrapped two full hours before my appointment) AND she uses a baby/child needle. I don't look. She has pictures of puppies on the wall, which I look at and try to name all the breeds I see out loud. She might think I'm a big ol' baby, but I don't care and she is really nice. It works for me. :)

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all, well I got the day wrong, the appointment is on Tuesday, so start again with the fasting. Then I found some forms for the hospital doctor, so another half an arm full, it is a good job the body can make up the blood..ttfn.

Reactions: 2 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone

Well, the deed is done! I drank lots of water - about a pint and a half this morning. Hubby came with me and the nurse was really nice. Although she was going to just sit me in the chair until I said I might fall off / pass out and should really lie on the bed! ;)

Thankfully, she was able to find a vein straight away which made the whole procedure very quick and pain free for me. She said I'd been fairly calm and I'd tried my best not to get stressed too much.

I asked what type of test and she said sugars / fasting which should come back in about 2 days and also the HBa1c which would probably be early next week. I was told the Dr would contact me - I presume that meant if there was any cause for concern?

Just need to cross my fingers now and hope for the best!

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello tigerlily, well done to you, that hurdle has been jumped. So now it's plenty of fluids for the easy to find veins.
My bloods came back, and my thyroid results are not good, it's back to the doctors, on Christmas Eve?!, what a day to have the next available bookable appointment.
Keeping my fingers crossed for your blood tests are fine, so ttfn, Karen

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Scouser58

Sorry that your thyroid results weren't good but xmas eve for the next available appointment isn't good!! :(

Fingers crossed for you too that your results will be ok after you've taken another test

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi Tigerlily72, thank you for that kind thought, could do with seeing the diabetic doctor before then as he changed my level of levothyroxine last time, well I will wait and see, ttfn Karen

milly2015

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Awww I found I have an over active thyroid a bit ago and nothing is working for it..The specalist is banging his head off a wall trying to fix me lol

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello Milly2015, the over active thyroid is more complicated to fix. When I was at college there was a member of staff who had the over active condition, she was galloping around, and generally going fast at all things, well the out come was she went into hospital and had her thyroid out , and then condition was monitored and the necessary medication were given.
She was glad that it had been sorted out, as she was tired with all the rushing about that the condition made her do.
I do not know if she was on medication permanently or if her body would regulated it self.

If the hospital endocrinology department is not getting to the bottom of the problem then they need to read up on the treatment options, including surgery, be brave and suggest the operation option to them, they may be trying to do the job with medication, but there needs to be a cut off as the out of balance can cause other medical problems to bones and such.

Milly maybe a bit of medical research is needed , I think there is a web site to help, and google may help, also I have had some helpful information from the Boots the chemist own site. Find them and sign up for the WebMD option and then go through to the thyroid section, these can be sent to you weekly on many different subjects, I save them to a file for future use.
Milly I hope they get their act together and get you sorted out very soon till next time, ttfn Karen

milly2015

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for that, I am big on the finding my own info out also. They said surgery is only offered as a last chance as there are so many risks with it, for example loss of your voice if they hit the wrong node, loss of taste and tongue functions...On the other hand the way its going right now is frustrating I feel so ill and am not able to look after my little one for long, luckily I have a great family helping me.My Mum n Grandad have the under active thyroid n that is much easier to treat..I had to be different didn't I ha ha :rolleyes:

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi Milly, being different is your right, glad you have such great support for the worn out times of the days, for now ttfn, Karen