New headline Diabetes cured by turning vegetarian

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
I read this this morning. So what does it mean. Meat has no carbohydrate or little anyway. It says you can eat grains etc as much as you like. I can't see how this would work. Rice, pasta, potatoes all the things I have to be careful about and they are saying you do not have to watch them - eat as much as you want. Just the fact of going vege will sort it. Someone like to explain how that would work. Just another fad I suppose.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
My mom went vegetarian and in short order was having normal numbers and taking in 173 grams of carbs a day total - it worked for her (she was always 100% diet controlled, never on medication or insulin even in the last years n days of her life).

Me I've been vegetarian a decade and change before I became a T1D (12 years ago next month) and I went vegan about 7 years ago and my a1c went from 12 to the 9s where it held until start of the year when I removed gluten from my plan do to celiac and its been dropping ever since closer to normal numbers.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read this this morning. So what does it mean. Meat has no carbohydrate or little anyway. It says you can eat grains etc as much as you like. I can't see how this would work. Rice, pasta, potatoes all the things I have to be careful about and they are saying you do not have to watch them - eat as much as you want. Just the fact of going vege will sort it. Someone like to explain how that would work. Just another fad I suppose.
I'd want to see the results of a 200 person study first

Reactions: 2 people