Reading going up after insulin injection

ianerc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm finding that I'm having some very contradictory readings. My blood sugar has been going UP when I inject insulin but miss a meal or eat very lightly. My readings also increase when I exercise.

I've done some reading up and can see a reason for the exercise increase, but the increase after insulin makes no sense. Anyone have any idea why I would be getting such contradictory readings?

I get dawn phenomena too. All very odd.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Was your bg levels not climbing up anyway when you injected, you don't say which insulin you take so a bit more information would be helpful.

ianerc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The insulin is novomix 30. I find that a few times I've forgotten to eat breakfast after injecting 23 units and my bg starts climbing. It usually starts to drop a bit after I've been awake for about an hour anyway as the Dawn Phenomena wears off, but goes up when I take insulin, even without eating.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The insulin is novomix 30. I find that a few times I've forgotten to eat breakfast after injecting 23 units and my bg starts climbing. It usually starts to drop a bit after I've been awake for about an hour anyway as the Dawn Phenomena wears off, but goes up when I take insulin, even without eating.
You may be going low(ish) after injecting without eating or your body think you are going low and releases glucose to contradict it, similarly to dawn phenomenon.
A lot of people find, for example, their bg rising AFTER they wake up if they not have food quick enough.