Daily Express

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was vegetarian and I got diabetes.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"Big Bro sex romp with insulin pump and on p2 research from I'm a Celebrity proves that eating witchety grubs reverses diabetes shock horror!!! Will this increase house prices in fatty districts??? Vote UKIP!!!"

:banghead:
good point whatever it is.
Wonder how you come across your good diet.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Three well know vegetarians .. Elephant .. Rino and Me :rolleyes: and I have T2 DB :bag:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes but animals get it as well, so maybe, possibly, there could well be some out there...................

RRB

G

graj0

I've read the article again and it seems to talk about a vegetable diet rather than a vegetarian diet which would be vegetables AND carbs, if I'm not mistaken. So if you only ate vegetables and we all know how good that is (I eat loads), minus the carby ones, potato being obvious, then it would help with your BG numbers.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
there are a few LC veggies here, we can wait for them to tell us what they think of his idea, to eat as much carb as you want without counting
idiot, how may here want to throw their meter away and go on a carb binge to cure their diabetes?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
there are a few LC veggies here, we can wait for them to tell us what they think of his idea, to eat as much carb as you want without counting
idiot, how may here want to throw their meter away and go on a carb binge to cure their diabetes?

That just ain't gonna work :wacky:
I'm type 1 and have reduced my carbs.

RRB :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That article is badly misinformed with statements like
“The evidence does not suggest that everyone should adopt a vegetarian or vegan diet but there are benefits of increasing your intake of fruit, vegetables, wholegrains and pulses and eating less saturated fat."

I reckon they are just trying to kill of diabetics.

On a more downbeat note, it is studies like this that drive GPs to continue with the NHS plate. Disregarding the benefits forum members have seen on LCHF, if there are constant studies supporting all kinds of nutrition patterns, why wouldn't they stick with what they know.?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
"Big Bro sex romp with insulin pump and on p2 research from I'm a Celebrity proves that eating witchety grubs reverses diabetes shock horror!!! Will this increase house prices in fatty districts??? Vote UKIP!!!"

:banghead:

good point whatever it is.
Wonder how you come across your good diet.

Just my default reaction to nearly anything in the Daily Express and other tabloids. ;)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

This quote says it all:

"We tell patients they can eat as much as they want – and as much whole wheat pasta, whole grains, and brown rice as they want – as long as they’re not eating animal products or lots of added oils"
Exactly. It is dangerous rubbish in my opinion.

Reactions: 4 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly. It is dangerous rubbish in my opinion.
I agree, "eat as much as you want" is rather odd.
However it does seem to be popular
LCHF for Beginners
Updated 10/2/2014
Do you want to eat real food (as much as you like) and improve your health and weight? It may sound too good to be true, but LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat) is a method that has been used for 150 years. Now, modern science backs it up with proof that it works.

G

graj0

Sarah Westcott, the writer of this article has an MA in Creative Writing and her IinkedIn page says that she is an experienced, fast and accurate news reporter. Highly skilled at extrapolating interesting news and features ideas from scientific journals and translating them into clear, compelling English. It's the Creative bit that worries me. Shall we tell her, hang on, no, nothing on investigative reporting, just Creative Writing.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ye gods. What a terrible article.

Vegan diets can be amazingly healthy. I imagine they can be quite low carb too, if required. No idea how that would work, but it must be possible...
Same with vegetarian diets.

All diets, can be healthy. Provided they are well formulated, varied, and nutritious and tailored to the individual's medical conditions.

But this article says nothing about those priorities. It just talks about whole-carbs and veg.
And that wouldn't work.
B12 anyone?

All it would have taken would have been the inclusion of a single, sensible, sentence advising that plant based diets be carefully designed to contain complete nutrition, allowing for blood glucose control, and I would have been deprived this rant.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ye gods. What a terrible article.

Vegan diets can be amazingly healthy. I imagine they can be quite low carb too, if required. No idea how that would work, but it must be possible...
Same with vegetarian diets.

All diets, can be healthy. Provided they are well formulated, varied, and nutritious and tailored to the individual's medical conditions.

But this article says nothing about those priorities. It just talks about whole-carbs and veg.
And that wouldn't work.
B12 anyone?

All it would have taken would have been the inclusion of a single, sensible, sentence advising that plant based diets be carefully designed to contain complete nutrition, allowing for blood glucose control, and I would have been deprived this rant.
You have to read your quote in the context of the rest of the page.

Here is a link

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Happy to help.
Just did what the newspaper did, with regard to that Doctor

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, if they kill many diabetics,they can say the numbers of diabetics lowered so they were right! ;)

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see the Daily Mail have jumped on board too, so it must be true.

Great news for all type 2, vegetarian pizza, crisps and chocolates will not affect ur BG! :banghead: In fact, as a type 1 I might even give up meat AND insulin based on this report.

A vegetable based diet and a vegetarian diet are 2 very different things. There's probably some research hidden in the article about the actual effect of meat but it's clouded by all the rubbish!

I hope no one reads the article and makes bad decisions because of it :(

Janiept

Expert
Well I have been vegetarian for 35 years and like many other veggies have been quite carb dependant as a substitute for meat.
I have actually been thinking about going back to eating meat recently, as my weight is a major problem since diagnosis. BMI is 18.
I am having major problems getting my head round the thought of getting dead animal down my throat though (no disrespect to meat eaters intended).
This article is a load of rubbish Imo, but unfortunately there will be diabetics who haven't been fortunate enough to discover this forum, read it, start eating differently and make their condition worse.
Oh Dear, oh dear.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I have been vegetarian for 35 years and like many other veggies have been quite carb dependant as a substitute for meat.
I have actually been thinking about going back to eating meat recently, as my weight is a major problem since diagnosis. BMI is 18.
I am having major problems getting my head round the thought of getting dead animal down my throat though (no disrespect to meat eaters intended).
This article is a load of rubbish Imo, but unfortunately there will be diabetics who haven't been fortunate enough to discover this forum, read it, start eating differently and make their condition worse.
Oh Dear, oh dear.

Have a look at @Avocado Sevenfold 's posts in this thread.
She has some amazing veggie food, and always manages it with low carbs.