Splitting Lantus Dose?

Cherryred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All...Since day 1 on lantus (just 13 units at night), I have been waking in the morning with a massive headache. They are terrible and always in the same location on my head. Do you think I can split the dose? How do you recommend I do this? Should I ask my endo or does this really matter?

Thank you!

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you done any glucose testing overnight? Before looking to split your dose, you should really confirm what your levels are doing.

Cherryred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the quick reply... yes I have and my middle of the night number is higher than the number I wake with. My morning number is around 5.5-6.6 and I feel like I was drinking red wine all night when I wake.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd suggest checking your glucose levels every hour through the night (sorry) as the symptoms you have described remind me of symptoms I have had, but I'd be loathe to suggest making a change without having the full pattern of what your basal was doing first. FWIW, I split my lantus dose because it was running out towards the end of the 24 hour period, not due to overnight issues.

Cherryred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tim2000s,

Last night I did try to test more, however let me back up.. at 8:30 I took the lantus in the fat part of the back of the arm vs stomach due to my stomach area feeling tender. Within 1 hour oh my goodness I was sweaty and shaky, the worst ever for me. I tested and I dropped from 6.9 to 3.8 in that hour. I had some juice and then rye bread re-tested in 20 and I was 5.9.

I tested three times in the night and I was 7.3 at 12:45, and 3:30 7.7, at 7:29 5.5. The amazing thing was this was the first day without feeling like I had been hit in the back of the head with a two by four!

Now I am afraid to take the lantus tonight and have that happen again.

The positive to come from this, is that I was up reading older posts and I stumbled across a post from Lindsay that truly was by far the most eye-opening as to the havoc that not taking care of oneself can cause. You read all the devastating things diabetes can cause, but for some reason, until I read that post it felt like it really couldn't happen to me. This post really made me commit.

Thank you for your help Tim.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Cherryred, you haven't mentioned what other meds you are on, but it would help us to know. A few of us who have used lantus are aware of sudden drops that can happen with it, and the way I've found to avoid them is inject into known areas of greater subcutaneous fat, i. e. The top of my legs.

You also don't give us details of your build.

Further info on sudden drops can be found in the insulin forum, under Diabetes Management, Diabetes medication and drugs, insulin, warning for lantus users. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/67760/

The headache you described is what I felt like when suffering overnight hypos, and the reaction you saw last night is similar to that described in my post. You may need to consider a different site or ask about a different insulin such as Tresiba.

Cherryred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tim

By build I assume you mean body type, I am 5 foot 9 an 154 pounds BMI of 22 I think they said in the doctors office. I am not overweight, however I did lose weight prior to diagnosis.

I am on 2000 mg of Metformin and 5mg of onglyza as well as .088mg of synthroid for Hashimotos. I ask the doctor every time I see him if he is SURE that I need all of these pills! The thought of taking pills and insulin for the rest of my life is still overwhelming to me but I put my big girl panties and know that people have it MUCH worse, I am blessed to live where I do and have options.

Last week was my first week on lantus and I felt SO good compared to how I had been feeling. This week not so much, more hungover and starving all the time. I am low carbing, despite my doctor telling me I can eat carbs and if I need meal insulin he will provide it..no thank you very much. I think I will wait. Kudos to you T1's, I bow down in awe, particularly you British folks with all that yummy food, your bread is huge compared to ours in Canada. :)

Sandra

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I can only speak from a t1 perspective, so what I've experienced may not apply with you, but I think it would be worth going back to your diabetes medical professional with what you have found and asking for additional help. It sounds to me as though you may be suffering unrecognised hypos during the night, hence the recommendation to check blood sugar hourly, as the hangover headache is a classic symptom of that. If this is the case, there are multiple options available.