Why do I never see people testing their blood or injecting?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The modern day pens have made it possible to be discreet when injecting insulin, plus of course you have insulin pumps that can be hidden from sight under clothing.

As regards to testing, the recent bg meters can take a reading in seconds, go back 20+ years ago and it would take 2 mins, I don't hide away when doing both but I tend not to make it too obvious and try and do it as discreetly as possible.

Reactions: 3 people

jodysd6

I work with another type one and he sits right behind me and I have never seen him test or inject!

when I had dinner with a different type one several years ago when I was still using injections I was sat next to him at dinner and he didn't notice I had injected and I did it at the table.

My friend also noticed someone in a pub last week also had a pump but I didn't see, and once I spotted a waitress with an infusion set in arm. I think most of us are so used to doing it that we just do it so quickly and without thinking about it so no one notices!

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I work with another type one and he sits right behind me and I have never seen him test or inject!

when I had dinner with a different type one several years ago when I was still using injections I was sat next to him at dinner and he didn't notice I had injected and I did it at the table.

My friend also noticed someone in a pub last week also had a pump but I didn't see, and once I spotted a waitress with an infusion set in arm. I think most of us are so used to doing it that we just do it so quickly and without thinking about it so no one notices!

Well that's it Jody, when eating out my wife will often ask if I've taken my insulin as she has missed me taking it, when I first started on insulin I had to draw it up into a glass syringe from two insulin vials, being discreet back then was never an option :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 people

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have an aquaintance who is type 1, a few years ago we were sat next to each other for a Xmas lunch and neither of us noticed the other injecting at the table, even though we both knew we were going to do it.

Reactions: 5 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel it is a very personal thing to do, so I tend to test myself somewhere out of sight. I don't need to inject during the day. I'm also a bit concerned about H&S which is another reason I don't test myself in public - not sure what you might pick up!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just wonder whether I am just more blasé than many people. I don't think there's any more risk in injecting or testing in public or in private. I've never really given a stuff throughout my life, although others have... And if people don't like it, well, it's there problem. It's a bit like going out and not drinking. People fuss because of what they think not what I am doing. The end result is I am doing this to stay alive so if others don't like it, I really don't care. I don't see why I should be discrete just because it makes others feel better.

Sorry if it seems like a harsh line to take, but that's my line!

Reactions: 2 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I test where ever I am, but when in a school I tend to go to the staff lounge or washroom (not my first choice) but unfortuatnly more then one parent has had issues with seeing me testing in front of their little self - so when in uniform I make the concession in doing so, but if i'm out of uniform and on my own time then its called my life I do what is right for me which means testing where I need to do so and taking my insulin when and where I need to do so.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
I remember the first time I tested in a restaurant, my wife was horrified and nearly walked out. Fast forward 11 months and my wife not only encourages me to test, but also wants to know the reading. As far as I know, no one has ever noticed me testing. I don't take insulin, but I have a massive issue with anyone who does, feeling like they have to be discrete. If you were asthmatic would you go to the toilet to take your ventolin??
A couple of months back I was having an in depth conversation with one of the bar staff at my local about (T2) diabetes, a young lad (19ish) was listening in and came up to me and started chatting, it turned out he was T1 and showed me and the bar staff his pen (I'd never seen one before!), we all agreed that he should be able to inject when he needed to, all bar staff have now been briefed and my local is an 'insulin friendly' place, if you need to inject you can do it right there and if anyone complains they will be educated!!
I think that maybe we care a bit too much about how others will judge us, the simple fact is that insulin is saving your life, if you ever have the misfortune to see someone having a heart attack just watch and see if the paramedics go somewhere discrete to use the defibrillator......

A

AnnieC

I have never tested when I am out but think if I ever needed to it would be in private in the ladies room probably. Like Pavlovsdog I feel it is something personal so not something I would want to share with the general public around me. I eat out very regularly but have never seen anyone test or inject.

A

AnnieC

i inject in public and test my sugers to have been for the last 14 years since i became diabetic i am not going to hide my diabetes from anyoneone i want to let other diabetics know its ok to inject test sugers in public if they want too
Yes but it is one thing convincing other diabetics it is ok to inject in public but what about the public how would you convince them that it is ok as they are the ones who would probably object or even think the diabetic was just a drug addict

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes but it is one thing convincing other diabetics it is ok to inject in public but what about the public how would you convince them that it is ok as they are the ones who would probably object or even think the diabetic was just a drug addict
You don't need to convince them it is okay. You simply say, "I am diabetic, do you want some?".

Forget what other people think. They really aren't important in this situation. Just because you are a minority, you shouldn't have to hide. I'm with semiphonic on this one. I don't think anyone should feel they have to hide to save the feelings/misconceptions of others. If you find it a personal thing then that's okay too, but I'm all for being very public and making sure that awareness is good.

What would your reaction be if the statement was "I'm disabled and won't go outside in a wheelchair to spare able-bodied people the objection of seeing my malformed body"?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

If they object they object Annie, tbh I've only had the odd stare at best and if anyone did object I would try my best to explain to them why I need to take insulin.

The looking like a drug addict probably is a concern for many, but at the end of the day we are only injection a drug out of necessity and the two cannot be compared.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I just wonder whether I am just more blasé than many people. I don't think there's any more risk in injecting or testing in public or in private. I've never really given a stuff throughout my life, although others have... And if people don't like it, well, it's there problem. It's a bit like going out and not drinking. People fuss because of what they think not what I am doing. The end result is I am doing this to stay alive so if others don't like it, I really don't care. I don't see why I should be discrete just because it makes others feel better.

Sorry if it seems like a harsh line to take, but that's my line!

Hi maybe it's not the case of why should we be discrete, because I am more of a private person and 'a not in your face' type of person ( and that's not being rude), so it's actually down to my personality if I want to show off parts of my body in public. I personally feel i am being who I am and try to be respectful to others around me, but if someone saw me and made a negative comment, well............. I would give as good as I get:cool: Actually I can just picture my teenagers face if this happened, as she would be thinking, OMG mother:eek:

I would , politely, take no prisioners ;)

Best wishes RRB

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi maybe it's not the case of why should we be discrete, because I am more of a private person and 'a not in your face' type of person ( and that's not being rude), so it's actually down to my personality if I want to show off parts of my body in public. I personally feel i am being who I am and try to be respectful to others around me, but if someone saw me and made a negative comment, well............. I would give as good as I get:cool: Actually I can just picture my teenagers face if this happened, as she would be thinking, OMG mother:eek:

I would , politely, take no prisioners ;)

Best wishes RRB

Totally agree @Robinredbreast. Its not that I worry what others might think, I am also a private person and dont like others knowing about my business. If I needed to, Id have no probs testing/injecting in public, and have done on occasion, and if anyone objected to me or someone else doing this, I would have to have a few words with them!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
On Friday night, I saw someone at a table next to me blood testing. I think it was the first time outside work that I recall this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
About 2 years ago, in the summer time, I took my 3/4 year old granddaughter to a river to feed the ducks. and she is type 1, We sat on the bench and I tested her BS got her lunch out ready and then an older lady came toward us and just asked nicely what I was doing,as she thought GD was 'ill' ( possibly the 'C' word) I told her she was type 1 diabetic same as me and the lady was very interested in her story, but also sad too. She then asked me if she could give GD a couple of pounds to buy something, I just said thank you( because the lady really wanted to) and the lovely lady :angelic: patted my GD's hand and wished us a lovely day.:D
I had forgotten about that until now, so I wanted to share it with you.

RRB :)