How-vegetarian-CURE-diabetes-Plant-based-diets

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So how many Type 2 people on here are strict vegetarians. And did being a vegan reverse or cure you.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
there are a few LC veggies here, but none that follow that Dr Neal Barnard,rubbish
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/185165/Veggie-diet-better-than-drugs-to-beat-diabetes
“Some wonder whether patients will stick to a plant-based diet. Unlike conventional ‘diabetes diets’, vegan diets do not require counting calories or limiting carbohydrates.

“There’s no portion control or strenuous exercise routines. We tell patients they can eat as much as they want – and as much whole wheat pasta, whole grains, and brown rice as they want – as long as they’re not eating animal products or lots of added oils. The diet is simple and clear, and it’s easier than ever to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How does losing weight and exercise reverse type 2 Diabetes. My understanding is my body cannot process insulin effectively. While a type 1 cannot produce insulin. These news articles get crazier every day.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
How does losing weight and exercise reverse type 2 Diabetes. My understanding is my body cannot process insulin effectively. While a type 1 cannot produce insulin. These news articles get crazier every day.

Losing weight would help take the strain off of certain internal organs and exercising is great for the body and mind, diabetic or not. A nice long walk on lovely sunny day is so beneficial :) :D

RRB :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what robin said...loosing weight can reverse or put in remission T2, as long as there is enough beta cells left alive
removing visceral fat from the liver and pancreas, you can get normal levels in a month going by the newcastle diet 800cal

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cut the booze out completely and eat about 1200 calories a day. Which I struggle to do as I not hungry in the morning, only at lunch time. In the evening I could quite happily go to bed on an empty stomach. I am eating because I have to take my metformin with food twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is an appetite suppressant. I understand when it was originally brought out, that was what it was used for. This is possibly why you aren't hungry.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
there are a few LC veggies here, but none that follow that Dr Neal Barnard,rubbish
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/185165/Veggie-diet-better-than-drugs-to-beat-diabetes
“Some wonder whether patients will stick to a plant-based diet. Unlike conventional ‘diabetes diets’, vegan diets do not require counting calories or limiting carbohydrates.

“There’s no portion control or strenuous exercise routines. We tell patients they can eat as much as they want – and as much whole wheat pasta, whole grains, and brown rice as they want – as long as they’re not eating animal products or lots of added oils. The diet is simple and clear, and it’s easier than ever to follow.
Sorry @jack412 your are wrong.
You should not make a comment when you do not know the actual facts. you do not know all the members diets on this Forum.

I have gone on a vegan type diet and yes I constantly use my meter and regularly monitor as much information as possible.
But one man's rubbish may be another's treasure,
A Plant-Based Diet for Type 2 Diabetes
I also think the LCHF diet is great for many Diabetes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @jack412 your are wrong.
You should not make a comment when you do not know the actual facts. you do not know all the members diets on this Forum.

I have gone on a vegan type diet and yes I constantly use my meter and regularly monitor as much information as possible.
But one man's rubbish may be another's treasure,
A Plant-Based Diet for Type 2 Diabetes
I also think the LCHF diet is great for many Diabetes.

But I imagine you limit the amount of carbs you eat, and don't stuff yourself with wholegrain bread, pasta and rice?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well follow Dr Neal Barnard and throw your meter away and eat as many carb as you want to, the higher your BG the better, when it gets high enough you're cured

but you could read up on, insulin resistance and how the cells are starving even though there is lots of glucose, and so you just eat more because you're hungry and the liver lays it down as fat

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But I imagine you limit the amount of carbs you eat, and don't stuff yourself with wholegrain bread, pasta and rice?
To be honest, there's so much good points from other members diets that I can moderate my diet to exclude bread etc;
That is one of my reasons for supporting the LCHF diet although I am not on it.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest, there's so much good points from other members diets that I can moderate my diet to exclude bread etc;
That is one of my reasons for supporting the LCHF diet although I am not on it.
so you aren't following his diet then?

C

catherinecherub

So how many Type 2 people on here are strict vegetarians. And did being a vegan reverse or cure you.
We don't know because not everyone posts their stories or is happy to divulge their management strategy.

@jack412 thinks there are a few but I don't know of any statistics that show who follows what diet on this forum. There are variables in what constitutes a particular diet.

With over 700 Type 2's being diagnosed daily then I would think that a fair few of them are not meat eaters.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/827944

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well follow Dr Neal Barnard and throw your meter away and eat as many carb as you want to, the higher your BG the better, when it gets high enough you're cured

but you could read up on, insulin resistance and how the cells are starving even though there is lots of glucose, and so you just eat more because you're hungry and the liver lays it down as fat
@jack412, Your are missing the point . I have gone on a diet that works, I do not use medication and I do not need to over eat as you suggest.
The facts are in results, which I retain for reference.
It is obvious that members are not going on a vegan diet just because it works for me.
I read and respect most of what you send, however there is no need for you to discredit someone that you have no knowledge of.
This may help

Neal Barnard, M.D./ a Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) site

sorry should have said "I do not use medication"

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@izzzi I don't think @jack412 needs to discredit Neal Barnard, he does that himself when he says 'We tell patients they can eat as much as they want – and as much whole wheat pasta, whole grains, and brown rice as they want'. The patients would need to test as well to check that their BG's are OK. If they can genuinely eat as much as these things as they like without testing, then they cannot be diabetic! Diabetics need to cut carbs, yes to varying degrees, but they still need to be careful with them even if they can tolerate moderate carbs.

There is nothing wrong with adapting a vegetarian diet by tailoring the carbs to meet individual needs but to tell diabetics to eat as much pasta as they like is irresponsible, and I don't care how qualified the person is, they are plainly wrong.

As a matter of interest you say your own diet works; is it the diet or the medication? (it doesn't say what meds you are on in your sig, so I don't know if you are taking anything to stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin, for example.)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@izzzi I don't think @jack412 needs to discredit Neal Barnard, he does that himself when he says 'We tell patients they can eat as much as they want – and as much whole wheat pasta, whole grains, and brown rice as they want'. The patients would need to test as well to check that their BG's are OK. If they can genuinely eat as much as these things as they like without testing, then they cannot be diabetic! Diabetics need to cut carbs, yes to varying degrees, but they still need to be careful with them even if they can tolerate moderate carbs.

There is nothing wrong with adapting a vegetarian diet by tailoring the carbs to meet individual needs but to tell diabetics to eat as much pasta as they like is irresponsible, and I don't care how qualified the person is, they are plainly wrong.

As a matter of interest you say your own diet works; is it the diet or the medication? (it doesn't say what meds you are on in your sig, so I don't know if you are taking anything to stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin, for example.)
Sorry Zand you have just spotted my Mild dyslexia :), I should have said I do not use medication. ( I will edit that )

I have showed Jack on a different thread a similar comment used for diets. which indicates throwing stones in glass houses.
LCHF for Beginners
Updated 10/2/2014
Do you want to eat real food (as much as you like) and improve your health and weight? It may sound too good to be true,

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you read forums elsewhere as I've been lead to recently (basically through 2 coursera nutrition courses) you find that there are many people who fiercely defend the very low fat, high to very high carb , high fibre diet.
There is a whole world of vegan/vegetarian forums and sites not specifically for diabetes but which do have diabetic posters and pages of info and on which people do indeed post success stories for plant based high or relatively high carb diets.
I'm interested in their accounts because I'm interested in the subject in general I have found that there are trials and interventions that have had great success using vegetarian non refined but higher carb/high fibre diets ( eg and not exhaustive : Viswanathan, high carb/fibre in India. The Ma Pi 2 diet ; odd but definitely high fibre/high carb and the vegetarian intervention in the Marshall Islands, )
There are people that arrive on here suggesting that such diets are a cure for all types of diabetes ( particularly after watching a particular video) but for others that isn't the case. Sadly, I find that anyone who comes here mentioning such diets often has a hard time and gets driven away very quickly It's impossible to know what happens to their control.
It is possible that a diet higher in non refined starches together with 40g+ of dietary fibre and minimal fats
has very different results to simply adding a portion of oatmeal to a diet or pasta to a diet that contains plenty of fat and protein from animal sources. There are certainly followers of Ornish, Esselstyn , Barnard , Mcdougall and even Fuhrman all with their own variations on the vegan/vege diet that think so