Costing a small fortune !!

Coololderguy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear new friends,
Can anyone tell me if I have to buy my own needles and test strips ? I have a Accu chek Nano and its costing me a lot of money ??
PLEASE can someone advise, I am waiting for my first clinic appointment and I am on Metformin :(

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi coololderguy! Most of us are told " sorry we do not supply meters and strips to type 2 , but I went to my local chemist's and he helped me find a doctor who was more sympathetic to testing and I got my prescription for test strips ! But from what I can gather im very fortunate ! As most are refused .

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
If it's of any help the sd codefree meter and strips are the cheapest available..there are blogs on here explaining where and how to obtain these .

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear new friends,
Can anyone tell me if I have to buy my own needles and test strips ? I have a Accu chek Nano and its costing me a lot of money ??
PLEASE can someone advise, I am waiting for my first clinic appointment and I am on Metformin :(

Only a relatively few T2s are prescribed meter consumables by their doctor/nurse. Many, including me, are told they need not test, but should rely on the periodic HbA1c measures. This was a notion I rejected, in favour of understanding my day-to-day blood situation.

Like many on here, I stared with one of the "big name" meters, but I have swapped to the SD Codefree, which works out far more cost effective. The meters all cost about the same, it's the consumables that vary enormously. Most big name strips cost around £20 for 50, whereas, the Codefree are just over £7 for 50, or even cheaper, provided you can buy 5 packs at a time.

The supplier site is here:

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

You can also access them via Amazon and eBay, although you will only get the multi-buy discount if you go directly.

I'm sure others will comment in due course, but good luck in bringing your condition to heel.

Coololderguy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WoW !!!! thanks for the replys its very nice to know ther is so much support on here. I will try the Codefree route:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with others about getting a codefree meter but use the multiclix from the avviva as it is much kinder on the fingers than the codefree one
CAROL

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with others about getting a codefree meter but use the multiclix from the avviva as it is much kinder on the fingers than the codefree one
CAROL

Yes indeed. I use the Accu-chek fastclix.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
try your gp to see if he/she will prescribe them, if not get the sd codefree as they work out cheaper

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Cool, I was told not to test and that a meter and strips would not be supplied, however when I saw the DN & explained I was losing weight and doing more exercise, she wrote me a prescription for test strips, only 50 per month but better than nothing I also use the codefree tester.

Good luck with your journey.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
CAROL

Can you reuse the drum, as I probably dont change my Lancett for 3/4 days?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you reuse the drum, as I probably dont change my Lancett for 3/4 days?

In the fastclix one, the drum holds 6 lancets, which only change when you change them. Once the drum is empty you have to discard it as it isn't re-useable, but a pack of 36 drums is very reasonably priced. I only change my lancet every week approximately, so each drum lasts 6 weeks or longer.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the fastclix one, the drum holds 6 lancets, which only change when you change them. Once the drum is empty you have to discard it as it isn't re-useable, but a pack of 36 drums is very reasonably priced. I only change my lancet every week approximately, so each drum lasts 6 weeks or longer.

Thanks Bluetit, Understand now, thought the drum rotated automatically to the next one each time you pricked. Will have to wait and use up the other 70 or so Code free Lancets I bought, I'll take the pain a bit longer.......
Neil

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Bluetit, Understand now, thought the drum rotated automatically to the next one each time you pricked. Will have to wait and use up the other 70 or so Code free Lancets I bought, I'll take the pain a bit longer.......
Neil

Bin them!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes you can find fastclix or multiclix on e-bay cheaply Even a tight Yorkshire man needs to be kind to his fingers :nurse:
CAROL

Reactions: 4 people