first day recording stupid questions

rachelc1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Well I've got the meter and here's how it went then I have a few silly questions if someone could help me out?

7am fasting 8
8am Special k
9am bloods 15.1
10am bloods 9.9
12.15 pre lunch 5.6
Lunch chicken salad and houmous
2pm bloods 5.9
3pm feel dizzy have an apple
4PM bloods 6.9

My question is why so high after breakfast is it because they started high and the carbs?

Also at 3 I was doing the school run so couldn't test but felt rough and dizzy so had the apple do u think they may have gone low or does our body react because they are so used to being high that normal is strange?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Rachel, welcome.

Special K like most (maybe all) cereals is full of carbs and sugar and best avoided.

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Well I've got the meter and here's how it went then I have a few silly questions if someone could help me out?

7am fasting 8
8am Special k
9am bloods 15.1
10am bloods 9.9
12.15 pre lunch 5.6
2pm bloods 5.9
4PM bloods 6.9

My question is why so high after breakfast is it because they started high and the carbs?

Also at 3 I was doing the school run so couldn't test but felt rough and dizzy so had the apple do u think they may have gone low or does our body react because they are so used to being high that normal is strange?

Hi Rachel, I believe the |Special K has a lot of Carbs, plus you also started at a high figure. I'm not the most experience on here still learning, I'm sure someone else will also come and answer.
Check the pack on the special K many don't eat anything if it's over 10 carbs per serving.
Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rachelc and welcome to the testing club.

You were high after breakfast because you ate cereal, which is generally a no-no for type 2's. Far too many carbs - it will tell you on the packet how many. However, I see it was a 1 hour reading and on its way down at 2 hours. This is what I would expect from Special K.

Your fasting was higher than ideal, but these readings are notoriously difficult to control and will be the last to come down.

Ideally you should try to keep any before and 2 hours after rise to less than 2mmol/l.

Try not to test randomly. Test immediately before you eat, and then at 2 hours after your first bite to begin with, then also a morning fasting and a bedtime one. You can amend these times as you progress and add a 1 hour reading when you understand what goes on.

PS don't forget to keep a food diary and record your levels alongside. A pattern will soon emerge.

PPS your body reacted (probably) to lower levels than it is used to when you went dizzy. It will adjust fairly quickly.

Reactions: 6 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachel, welcome.

Special K like most (maybe all) cereals is full of carbs and sugar and best avoided.
Agree with Sanguine.

Not only are cereals high in carbs but they are also highly soluble and easily digestible so glucose enters blood really quickly

Reactions: 3 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello Rachel, welcome to the forum , keep testing and asking questions here and you will be amazed at the help that's given ! Take it steady ,if in doubt ask!

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And an apple isn't the best choice of snack if you feel a bit dizzy. Quite carby and it obviously put your sugars up to 6.9 which means you're quite high going into next meal if it's close. If I feel a bit low I have a warm drink with splash of lactofree milk and 1 sq dark chocolate if out or else a slice of cooked meat or small piece of cheese if in. I find protein far better at shifting the shakes than carbs which just make me overshoot and feel even more edgy.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all

7am fasting 8
8am Special k
9am bloods 15.1
10am bloods 9.9
12.15 pre lunch 5.6
2pm bloods 5.9
4PM bloods 6.9

Rachel,always remember that there is no such thing as silly questions but ONLY SILLY ANSWERS .

Reactions: 7 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never feel silly for asking Rachel - it's how we learn!! Everyone above has answered how I knew they would and just prove the point what a fab forum we have here ! Keep testing, keep asking and keep posting- try and ditch the cereal ;)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@rachelc1980
just as an experiment, try having an egg (boiled/ poached/scrambled) without toast tomorrow and check your fasting & +1hr and +2hr figures.
Testing foods in this manner can help you map your own responses to foods and which ones to eat/cut back/avoid.

rachelc1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all I've just done my 2 hour check after a tea of pork chop veg and 4 little bits of potato so happy with that. Going to pre prep a ham and cheese omelette for breaky and see how it goes and ive just been and got some nuts for daytime snacks

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want a few different portable snacks, then here are a few I find successful:
9bars (worth testing your blood glucose before and after, to confirm you are ok with them)
Baby bels
Pork scratchings
Those tiddly little individual bags of popcorn you can get(test for these too)
Pepperami

There are, of course, 1000s of others, but those are all convenient, portable and prewrapped. And don't need refrigeration, so long as the weather isn't hot.

Welcome to the forum!

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Hi all

7am fasting 8
8am Special k
9am bloods 15.1
10am bloods 9.9
12.15 pre lunch 5.6
2pm bloods 5.9
4PM bloods 6.9

Hi I have only been testing for over a week now and my first reading after my breakfast was 13.5 I nearly feel off my chair I had Alpen for breakfast which I thought had lots of good things in so now all cereal is off the menu.

Reactions: 7 people
C

chris lowe

Hi I have only been testing for over a week now and my first reading after my breakfast was 13.5 I nearly feel off my chair I had Alpen for breakfast which I thought had lots of good things in so now all cereal is off the menu.
You might find porridge a bit more tolerable, it's got a low GI so releases sugar a bit slower, but again try it and test a couple of hours after. I make mine with water then add a bit of double cream for flavour

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
You might find porridge a bit more tolerable, it's got a low GI so releases sugar a bit slower, but again try it and test a couple of hours after. I make mine with water then add a bit of double cream for flavour
Thanks Chris I have not tried porridge yet,so will give that a go.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Some can take porridge, some can't. All you can do is try it and test.