Newly diagnosed T2, my story so far & a few questions.

Louleelou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Louleelou,

I noticed on another thread you mentioned you haven't had all your questions answered yet. Which ones are still outstanding?

Hiya,

I asked if Diabetes can cause joint pain as I've suffered for a while with it especially in my right shoulder & thigh. I've not mentioned it yet to my GP or DN as I just feel the 'can of worms' that has opened with all I'm dealing with ATM is enough for now. I can't handle another diagnosis, tests or any more medication! (God, I sound like a right moody cow, sorry) ☺️

Also asked about the antibody & C-Peptide tests, can I request/demand this is done? Do I ask my DN or does a GP have to approve this?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I've never heard of high blood sugars causing joint pain. Are you on statins? They are notorious for joint pains in some people, and if so then you need to tell your doctor as it may not improve. If not, have you checked the side effects of any other meds you are on? Otherwise, I think you do need to mention them to your GP.

The tests you mention will have to be authorised by your GP and you should ask/demand if you feel them necessary. Your DN may ask him for you.

Does this help?

Reactions: 2 people

Louleelou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bluetit1802

No I'm not on any Statins, I was only on pain relief before falling ill with my Ulcer & Diabetes. Hmmm, I might mention the joint pain to my GP when I ask for the mentioned tests.

Yes, your reply, suggestions & answers have helped immensely, many thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Joint pain isn't a typical symtpom of diabetes so is likely to be caused by something else. I would agree with the other posters that you appear to be a candidate for Late onset T1 rather than T2. You should aks your GP/DN for the two tests. Some GPs are well-up on the subject some like mine weren't so I had my tests done privately. If you have been near normal weight and suddenly lose weight around diagnosis and have all the symptoms then LADA is likely. If so, then Metformin will be of little use. There are further tablets that can help and then insulin would be likely. Don't worry about the insulin if you should need it. When you have been starving yourself to keep the carbs down and still having high blood sugar like I did, then the freedom insulin gives you is a blessing.

Reactions: 4 people

Louleelou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Daibell

Many thanks for your reply, very reassuring comments you made, especially regarding the insulin. Fingers crossed it won't come to that though & my BG levels start to drop, even if more oral medication is prescribed.

I've got so many questions now to ask my GP & DN thanks to you all who have commented & contributed on my post, roll on the 6th Dec!!!

LADA, hmmm this is a new one to me!!??? Of to see if I can read anything about it, symptoms, diagnosis etc.

Thank you again.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Hello everyone. I'm a 43 year old female diagnosed with Diabetes T2 5 weeks ago.

Here's my journey so far! (*deep breath* & my apologies if my first post is a bit long winded)

For the past 9 months or so I had a dull aching pain just below my rib cage on my left hand. As I have an AWFUL fear of Doctors/hospitals & with me being me I did nothing about it, just took pain killers which had little no or effect.
6 weeks ago I woke up feeling so ill, dizzy, clammy & started to vomit up blood, the amount was horrendous. I collapsed & fell unconscious. I was rushed to hospital under blue light by ambulance.

First day in hospital was a bit of a blur but it turned out I had burst duodenal ulcer & was told I was also Diabetic, my BG on admission was 28.5. I was given 2 blood transfusions, insulin & other drips etc to treat both the ulcer & Diabetes. I was discharged 4 days later & prescribed medication for both conditions. For the Diabetes I was put on 2 x slow release Metformin daily.

2 weeks after been discharged (still feeling weak, tired, lethargic all the time) I had my 1st appointment with the
Diabetic nurse at my GP's surgery. Nurse was very good informing me on all the basics about diet etc but then she tested my urine & told me I had very high Ketones levels!!!??!!! She then tested my BG, it was 23.8, I was told wait in the room & she went & got the GP. He gave me an examination & told me he has to dial for an ambulance right away as my body was slowing down.
So another 9 days were spent in hospital, BG levels for the 1st few days were in the high 20's, then dropped to the mid/high teens. Discharged with my Metformin increased to 3 tablets a day.

Home from hospital a week now & feeling not much better. First thing I invested in was a monitor, my levels are still in the high/mid teens. I'm on quite a bit of other medication for my ulcer, anti sickness, pain relief, etc. I feel my whole day is spent popping pills. I'm trying so hard to try & eat a low carb diet but my appetite is minimal (I'm guessing that's down to the ulcer, I still have tests to have over that)

I'm just wondering now how long I've had diabetes as it was years since I seen Dr, because of my fear?

Now a few questions, does diabetes cause constipation as I've suffered with this for a good few years? Does it cause joint pain especially in the shoulder & thigh? Does it take time for the Metformin to kick in? Could it be the other drugs I'm on keeping my levels high? Another factor, I've lost almost 4 stone in 3 years, never dieted it's just fallen of me.

I feel I'm just in a really dark place ATM, my family are very supportive but I feel they don't understand, it's hard enough for me trying to get my head round!!

I have to have another blood test next week then see the nurse again the week after.

Are my symptoms typical of a newly diagnosed T2? Any feed back would be so much appreciated.

Anyway, I think I've rambled on long enough for now, I promise to keep any more posts to a minimal!

I'm so glad I've found this forum & hope to contribute & follow as much as possible.

Thank you.
Oh you have been very poorly glad to see you are on the road to recovery,the diabetic nurse done my feet It is a painless procedure I had to lie down close my eyes and she put these vibrating instruments all over my toes and feet and I had to tell her if I could feel it or not,I am awaiting for my eyes to be done she told me that they map out the back of your eyes just like an eye test.Goodluck Andrea.

Louleelou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh you have been very poorly glad to see you are on the road to recovery,the diabetic nurse done my feet It is a painless procedure I had to lie down close my eyes and she put these vibrating instruments all over my toes and feet and I had to tell her if I could feel it or not,I am awaiting for my eyes to be done she told me that they map out the back of your eyes just like an eye test.Goodluck Andrea.

Thanks for the reply Andrea & the info regarding the feet test. As I'm such a big wuss & don't like Doctors/hospitals it's nice to know what is ahead & what I'm facing.

Hope your having a good day? Not having a great one myself, BG levels way to high this morning. Ho hum, the ups & downs of a newly diagnosed Diabetic hey!!

Take care.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Thanks for the reply Andrea & the info regarding the feet test. As I'm such a big wuss & don't like Doctors/hospitals it's nice to know what is ahead & what I'm facing.

Hope your having a good day? Not having a great one myself, BG levels way to high this morning. Ho hum, the ups & downs of a newly diagnosed Diabetic hey!!

Take care.
Hi louleelou no problem,I am the other way would rather not know as I am the same when it comes to hospitals ect,also I do not like needles I know that blood tests ect do not hurt but I still use some numbing cream as I just would not turn up think that is about to change as I have had more needles in the last month I need a break lol.
Sorry to hear you are not feeling to good today,I have been ok my feet seem to be the problem for me today and have been feeling tired also,did manage to go in the garden and feed the birds ect and put things away for winter so not all bad.
I hope you feel much better tomorrow take care Andrea.