So here's a heart attack for all the good LADAs....

academicdiabetic

Hi,

I'm never sure why basic medical facts when not given as a 'this is a magic bullet, enjoy and be happy' are seen as frigtening and scaremongering... but they often are... after the aforementioned 30 years of medical reserach, i am afraid that, as Smidge says, it is very rare that you find something that does not have side effects.. the 'stronger' the impact the stronger the side effects generally... and insulin, as with other hormones, is a pretty major 'medication' - does anyone really believe that this would have no side effects?!

Also, I would really like some feedback about why people would rather be 'in the dark' (if that is the case) - genuinely, could someone tell me why they would prefer NOT to have accurate information (even if not telling them what they wanted to hear). ? Personally, i like to act on the evidence, I don't really see the point of acting without information. Could anyone enlighten me? thanks.

Anyway, I am away from home currently so don't have the articles to post... but I have posted them before (and had a thread taken down as a consequence.. despite the fact that they are highly reputable, objective, academic research with large sample sizes). Phoenix may still have a copy, or be able to point you to them if they still remain somewhere on the forum (Phoenix could you help ? Thanks.) Otherwise I'll trry and post them again when i'm back home.

By the way, I thought we were all on this forum for information,,, or is it only "all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds".. in which case I could have simply said to Elaine (mendaciously and hence, I would feel rather unhelpfully),, "its great, insulin is the magic bullet cure,,, you'll be fine.. its all good .. go for it.."

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The paper referred to by AS is this one
http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jc.2012-3042
This led to a long thread but was closed with one deleted post
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/recent-insulin-study.50729/
Reasons for closure and deletion discussed here
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dear-giverny-re-censorship.51071/

Personally, I said what I felt on that thread .Here's what Jenny Ruhl says about the paper. I don't always agree with her. There are some things I would argue with in this post and it's mostly addressed to a US audience but she has similar views on the paper to mine but expresses much better than I did.
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.fr/2013/02/another-dangerously-misinterpreted.html

Reactions: 5 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The bottom line is not to scare people who need insulin. That doesn't require lying. But it does require presenting the facts in a balanced way that is mindful of how people can be afraid of going on insulin in a way that is out of all proportion the benefits and risks.

I have read credible evidence of high insulin levels leading to metabolic syndrome. However it's very difficult to separate high carbs from high insulin in most the population, ie non diabetics. For my money the only conclusive side effects of excess insulin are hypoglycaemia and weight gain.

Reactions: 9 people

elaine77

At the end of the day there is no point criticising someone for being blunt. Of course there are side effects of any medication but the fact of the matter is, as LADA or type 1, it's either take the insulin and risk any side effects or die. Not much of a choice when u think of it like that is there?

Many diabetics go onto insulin and think "now I'm injecting I can eat anything I want and just inject to cover it - pass me the cake!!" And unfortunately that is where it gets problematic because injecting can never exactly mimic what a non-diabetic persons body would do so you're just asking for trouble. The way I've started to see it is, food is for energy so if I don't need it why eat it...

Still hasn't stopped me putting on half a stone since I started insulin though despite not changing my diet! Not happy about this obviously!!

Reactions: 4 people