Huge Morning BS Drop

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been having some issues with morning BS Drops.

Ill use today as an example (ive been struggling with the Dawn Phanonanom recently)

I woke up this morning at 16.8 i took 5 units of novo rapid and 8 units of levvmir (the night before i had taken 13 units of levmir before sleep) had a shower and got ready about an hour and a half later i tested again to find i was still 16.8.
i had breakfast (wheatabix) around 30G Carbs and took 10 units.

2 hours later at 10AM i was 18.9, i took no more insulin because i am aware ive been experiencing drops, 2 hours after this i am 9.8. i dropped 9 points in 2 hours after my Novorapid should have peaked, i also get this but much milder in the late afternoon normally around 4pm

ive ruled out this being my Novorapid as it doesn't have this effect on me in the evening after dinner infact i seem to require more insulin at dinner per carb.

I feel this is really hurting my control as if i had been under 10 at 10am like i would like to be i would have experienced a pretty bad hypo.

i Feel like it must be a Levmir, but i assume its not designed to cause rapid drops in blood glucose, the other issue i have thats been worrying me is if it is the Levmir then maybe its not the Dawn Phanonanom ive been experiencing, and ive been getting serious lows in my sleep without knowing.

about 4 months ago i had almost perfect control but since i had a pretty close call hypo one night i have lost all confidence and have become hypophobic often treating for a hypo when i expect to go low rather waiting till i do. having these unpredictable drops that i cannot explain is really not helping me.

its almost like clock work and seems to happen at the same time everyday, if i do not each lunch at 12 i will contiune to drop and im not sure where it will stop. any help or thoughts you guys have on this would be great.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Are your injection sites OK?

I found levemir insulin to be next to useless, as much as I increased the dose I couldn't get my bg levels under control. There's a new basal insulin out called Tresiba, it's said to last 42 hours although you still inject it once a day, might be worth enquiring about.

Reactions: 2 people

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are your injection sites OK?

I found levemir insulin to be next to useless, as much as I increased the dose I couldn't get my bg levels under control. There's a new basal insulin out called Tresiba, it's said to last 42 hours although you still inject it once a day, might be worth enquiring about.

i tend to use the top of my Thigh for my Lemir doses. they dont feel lumpy but are fairly bruised. ive lost close to 6 stone over the last year and most of these problems seem to have started when i lost the last 3 stone. could there not be enough fat tissue on the top of my legs? where is is good to inject. i use my Stomic for my rapid acting doses and i was told last year to stop using my arms.

ive been slowly decreasing dose in an atempt to see if it causes the drops and what other effects it has. this time 6 months ago i was on a single dose of 49 units of it at night due to insulin resistance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
TBH I'd do some fasting basal checks and find out how your bg levels are behaving in the absence of food and bolus doses.

As for where to inject, you can also use your buttocks for your basal, take a look at the following which has some good advice on where to inject insulin:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261

Don't forget you can also get the input of your diabetes team, so I would get in contact with them and mention what you've said above, when you do ask if it's possible to change to an alternative basal insulin such as lantus or Trisiba as I mentioned earlier.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
TBH I'd do some fasting basal checks and find out how your bg levels are behaving in the absence of food and bolus doses.

As for where to inject, you can also use your buttocks for your basal, take a look at the following which has some good advice on where to inject insulin:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261

Don't forget you can also get the input of your diabetes team, so I would get in contact with them and mention what you've said above, when you do ask if it's possible to change to an alternative basal insulin such as lantus or Trisiba as I mentioned earlier.

So i can also use the outside of my theigh on the side of my leg then? i used to inject there because i had difficulty doing it on the front when i was first diagnosed 10+ years ago but i wasnt sure you were supposed to do it there.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Bums a good site too. I used for 30+ years with a few times in outer sides or front legs.

What size needles are you using?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people