Fed up with surgery staff

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One year on from diagnosis and still highly motivated having lost a significant amount of weight and reversed my diabetes and transformed my lifestyle I'm finding that the surgery staff are more of an obstacle in my pursuit of a healthy lifestyle.
6 weeks on and 2 blood tests later the receptionist still won't give me my hba1c number ( everything's normal, bye then - she said over the phone) and suggested I make a GP appointment- which now takes a week due to the size of the patient list. I wasn't about to waste the GP's time like that.

Anyway, I don't like moaning - I've got my health to look out for SO, can we get our bloods checked privately and how much are we looking at?

Also, am I being too harsh on a busy surgery?

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
my surgery will not give results over the phone and to save the gp.s time, i see the nurse for my results

Reactions: 4 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've asked for the result to be printed out for collection tomorrow morning. (A service I only found out about through this amazing forum).

I just can't see why a receptionist needs any training to give out a 'normal' hba1c number.

Surely it makes life easier for all concerned?

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I always make an appointment to see the nurse a week after my blood test to get the exact results. then we discuss meds or anything else.

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've asked for the result to be printed out for collection tomorrow morning. (A service I only found out about through this amazing forum).

I just can't see why a receptionist needs any training to give out a 'normal' hba1c number.

Surely it makes life easier for all concerned?
It could be partly due to data protection act. Over the phone there is no proof that you are who you say you are. They have to be so careful about what information they can give out as medical info is classed as confidential

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're probably correct there Mrs B.

But at the same time how do they know I am who I say I am tomorrow morning when I ask for written medical records?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure I was given mine over the phone... It was used as support for their argument that I should come in for an OGTT.

Actually, it might have been the nurse who told me, not the receptionist...

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're probably correct there Mrs B.

But at the same time how do they know I am who I say I am tomorrow morning when I ask for written medical records?
True. Maybe a police style interrogation ;)

1207JRVL

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I agree with MrsB the surgery has to be very careful about patient confidentiality. I always see the dn at my surgery for test results and then I get the chance to chat through other concerns I might have or get repeat prescriptions.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Call in and ask to speak with someone in charge like the practice manager, the results are yours to see and keep and they can't withhold them from you.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the idea of booking an appointment with one of the nurses a week after is a very good idea.

I do worry though that for a super surgery (12,000) patients there is no diabetic nurse or even a GP with a special interest in diabetes. I think it's unfair on the community as it's an inner city surgery with - I'm guessing- large rates of diabetes...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The reason the receptionist wont give you the result is because she isn't qualified to do so. Mistakes have been made before hence why a medical bod has to give them.
All I do is give my surgery a ring and ask for a GP call to tell me the result. Saves wasting his apt times :)

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ha! A week for an appointment, you are lucky. I was told by a nurse that My BP was sky high and I needed an appointment with the doc. earliest appointment... 3 Weeks! It's OK I'll just die then shall I?

However, My surgery is the same, You are only given results face to face with a medical professional, not a receptionist. I just think the over all treatment from the NHS is kinda poor. I was speaking to a mate... Also LADA and he said at his surgery he had a review every 2 weeks and the doctor called him at least once a week to see how he was doing. I was just handed Metformin and told to get on with it... lol.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just need to bite my tongue I guess - I was frustrated because they lost my initial blood test 4 weeks ago and kept fobbing me off....

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you wanted to get your own readings, independent of your surgery and whenever you want, there are HbA1C home testing kits that can give you results in just 5 minutes. I have been using some called A1cNow from Miller Medical Supplies (£138 for 10 tests) which have proved a very close match to official tests for me. I have also recently seen a new seller (bhr.co.uk) with the same kits at £99 for 10 tests or £180 for 20 tests.

Maxwell

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There lots of places where you can go privately for (almost) any test you want. An example is here: http://privatebloodtests.co.uk/epag...co_uk/Categories/Types_of_Test/Diabetes_tests

I also have the home kit Silver Hammer mentions, and although it tracks my HbA1c closely, it read was 0.2% higher both times I did one on the same days as a GP lab test, but I'm very content it indicates how I'm doing, and is consistent.

Vis-a-vis getting results from the surgery, I've just had a bit of a panto. Once a Doc has seen the results, I can be given every figure over the phone, but no print out, without express doctor permission (bonkers). Last time I saw my GP I mentioned I'd had to actually go to the surgery three times to get my results last time (I couldn't get through to the results phone line for 2 days, so called in.) I couldn't stand there taking down every number being called out to the growing queue behind me, but I couldn't be given a print out because the Doc hadn't expressly sanctioned it. Two days later I went to pick up my sealed envelope, which on opening it at home, did not contain all my results, so another phone call and trip to the surgery.

I mentioned this fiasco to the GP when I saw her last week and she was visibly mortified. I asked if I could have a flag applied to my record to automatically allow access to these results. Allegedly, this isn't possible, so her suggestion was rather than call the results line, I call her and she'll both give me my results, and sanction the print-off. That seems somewhat sledge hammer-ish to me, but it's the best I have for now.

My next bloods aren't due until the summer, so we'll see how it works then.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the information @AndBreathe

In the scenario you mention about holding up the queue - my surgery has a private room where they could give me the numbers and I could write them down if needed.
That could be an option for you?

However, my surgery will give out my printed results to anyone who knows my address and date of birth! ;-)

Misteraa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I read this as 'fed up with sugary stuff'

Shows how much effect T2 and low carbing has had on me lol :)

Hope your issues get sorted soon VinnyJames

Reactions: 8 people