Re-heated pasta reduces the carbs

cyclonic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls, armchair experts and bullies
I read an interesting article in the Daily Mail that researchers found by boiling it, freezing it and then re-heating it it reduces the carbs that turn to sugar and increases the fibre content. Good to know.

Hey don't shoot the messenger! I was only passing on info from a usually good source I'm not personally claiming it works. I also read about a guy once who said he was abducted by aliens, doesn't mean t really happened.
If you've tried it and it doesn't work then complain to the Daily Mail, but for some it might!

Last edited by a moderator:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was also on a recent tv show "Trust me I am a Doctor" it does work.:)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hmmm. When I tried this, the post meal spike that I got was remarkably similar to the freshly cooked pasta.

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
All you can do is test and see.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you know whether it matters if the pasta was originally dried/boxed or fresh?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and I have a horrible suspicion that there will be hordes of meter-less type 2 diabetics, all over the UK, who are now stuffing themselves full of reheated pasta, celebrating the fact that it is 'good' for them.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

No. It isn't. It MAY be a small percentage less BAD for them.

But too late for that message.
The idea has entered the public mindset.

And we'll be fielding bewildered, confused people for decades, who arrive at this forum saying 'but I thought reheated pasta was OK, I eat it every day, so why is my blood glucose rising so much?'

Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think quite a lot of people will be eating pasta this way already, when we consider how many ready means are consumed in the UK. I'm thinking about some of the mac and cheese, lasagne, spag bol concoctions in Tesco, ASDA and so on........

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
But still pasta doesn't give you any nutrions you could get in better package like egg, meat and vegetables

Reactions: 2 people

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried it many times. Even tried freezing it. It makes absolutely no difference to my BG.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried it many times. Even tried freezing it. It makes absolutely no difference to my BG.
Maybe your meter is up the creek.:eek:
However I think your correct. it does not make any difference.:) unless you use a special type of pasta from the BBC

Reactions: 5 people

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing that seems to make a difference to me is cooking it very al dente.

Nightwishing1984

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well this evening (and I even tested twice) I had

Wholemeal pasta (al dente) leftover chicken, bacon, red onion, passata and a bit of cheese on baked in the oven....

Before reading was 11.3 and 2hr after 11.0 I tested twice to make sure....

Last night meal chickpea curry with 4tbsp wholemeal rice 15.5 and after 15.8

So this morning 11.8 porridge and 17.2 (so that's a no, on my menu)
Lunch chip shop fish (did not eat batter) mushy peas and about 10 chips 9.6 to 13.3 (something was wrong with meal)
Then evening meal as above....

Is it normal for the 2hr after reading to be lower than before ..... confused!!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Wholemeal pasta (al dente) leftover chicken, bacon, red onion, passata and a bit of cheese on baked in the oven....

Lunch chip shop fish (did not eat batter) mushy peas and about 10 chips 9.6 to 13.3 (something was wrong with meal)

The issue here is that your starting points before meals are too high. The rice and the pasta and the chips (perhaps even the peas) are clearly off limits. Others may care to comment :)

Nightwishing1984

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought wholemeal rice was ok.... I think yesterday was weetabix put it up 7.3 (first time I tried it)
I habe only started monitoring this week and its a bit trial and error...

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I thought wholemeal rice was ok.... I think yesterday was weetabix put it up 7.3 (first time I tried it)
I habe only started monitoring this week and its a bit trial and error...

Testing would seem to confirm (at least to me) that it isn't ... and yes, it is trial and error until you get those levels down and the spikes within limits. I'd like to see a complete breakdown of what you eat during the day that might point to why those high pre meal counts exist

Mike :)

Nightwishing1984

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So since I started monitoring

Mon night
B-12.8 roast chicken, cabbage, sweet/white potato mash 3tbsp, chicken gravy A-15.3

Tue
B-10.1 weetabix A-17.4
B- 13.3 smaller portion of mon evening meal A- 15.7
B- 15.5 chickpea, onion, pepper, passata, chilli 4tbsp w/meal rice A-15.8

Wed
B- 11.8 poridge A- 17.2
B- 9.6 fish (no batter) peas, 10 chips A-13.3
B- 11.3 pasta dish listed above A-11.0

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi,

Blimey.
How do you feel, on that?
I would feel like I had been run over by a truck. But maybe if you are used to it, it doesn't feel so bad?

The mushy peas and chickpeas affect me the same as other starchy high carb foods like the bread, porridge, rice, chips and pasta.

Basically, the only things in that menu that wouldn't drive my blood glucose up, are the meat, fish, onion and (maybe) the passata.

If that is a typical day, then it does kind of explain why your blood glucose is that high.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're eating enough carbs to sink a battleship. Your poor pancreas must feel like it's on an Möbius loop -there's no down time between one carby onslaught and the next so no wonder you're running so high. You need to cut out the weetabix certainly if I'm reading the spike correctly at 7- some of the other meals maybe doable if you get the pre prandial figures lower though I'd guess with far smaller portions of the carb accompaniments. And really does anyone need what looks like two large carb heavy meals a day? Been there done that and ended up diabetic. Try looking at theckow crab forum for some meal ideas that are less carb laden.