Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
There does seem to be some evidence that increased omega3 intake can reduce Alzheimers. I wonder whether there is any research on whether reduced carbs and increased fats in the diet would also have an effect?

It might be usefully to know that MCT (medium chain triglycerides) oil also found in coconut oil have been used successfully in a clinical trial for patients with mild Alzheimer's symptoms, brand name Axona (the product now in the hands of Nestle) difficult to make much money as both MCT oil and coconut oil are so widely available. The baclgroound is that blood ketones can very effectively used by the brain even if the brain is insulin resistent, so lowering carbs and adding coconut oil and become keto-adapted might be a way forward in prevention and/or treatment of Alzheimer's.
http://www.about-axona.com/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24413538
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15123336

Reactions: 7 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There does seem to be some evidence that increased omega3 intake can reduce Alzheimers. I wonder whether there is any research on whether reduced carbs and increased fats in the diet would also have an effect?
You might find the book by neurologist Dr David Perlmutter called "Grain Brain" of interest. He recommends a real food LCHF/ketogenic diet to avoid neurodegenerative diseases.

Reactions: 5 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You might find the book by neurologist Dr David Perlmutter called "Grain Brain" of interest. He recommends a real food LCHF/ketogenic diet to avoid neurodegenerative diseases.
I was thinking of reading that book. Is it a good read?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just had a text to point out our approach has been given quite a fulsome write up in todays Telegraph- appropriately under Doctor's diary which is encouraging. It may be a long time until we see a change in the official guidelines but meanwhile I feel the benefits of the diet are spreading steadily at a grassroots level, helped in no small way by our forum!

Reactions: 19 people

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is amazing ... the shifting opinions, increasing support, high profile media daring to suggest it's not a fad or intrinsically unhealthy.

I, for one, have been motivated to try it properly and after 5 days can't believe the difference a few small changes can make. My one thing is double cream in my coffee... and hey presto, no longer feel the need to snack mid morning or mid afternoon. Wow. Just wow.

Reactions: 16 people

anniflower

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism
Join the clan! I'm a day ahead of you, and feeling great!

Just hunting the net for a good, UK based, low-carb cookbook. Any suggestions? I know there is a recipe site on here, but I do enjoy reading a book.

anniflower

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism
Hi

Thanks. I'll explore the links

anniflower

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism
That was me twenty years ago. Now I need recipes that can be scaled to serve 2!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was me twenty years ago. Now I need recipes that can be scaled to serve 2!

I habitually cook 6 or 8 portions at a time, and freeze or store the extra portions. Saves time and money.

If I had a book of recipes for 2, I would just multiply everything up. :)

Reactions: 4 people

anniflower

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism
Yes, I do that too. Trouble is I'm not terribly good at freezer management; I tend to forget what I have!

Reactions: 2 people