Does this sound like Reactive Hypoglycemia?

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's been over a year since diagnosis, but I believe it's been abou 5 years or longer. Believe because symptoms mimic T2, and docs not knowing about condition, then that's why you probably need a referral to an endocrinologist! Even then if you don't get a up to date one he will still be reticent to give you a clear diagnosis and say its diabetes.
You may just have hypoglycaemia as diabetics do have this condition. The only way you find out is to see an endo and do the tests!
If you have a look at my personal data and my threads (not the footie ones!) and look after you.
Experiment and test, record and review.
Let us know how you are doing.
I will let you know how I get on. Did you have to go to different doctors until you found the one that referred you or did you keep on at the same one? I'm considering trying a doctor I've heard good things about at a different practice. I've stocked up on test strips today so I've got my strips and tester where I will remember to take it with me everywhere. Thank you for your great advice. You have been amazingly helpful. Can't thank you guys enough!!!

xxx

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No stayed with same surgery but seen ten (ish) different docs in like ten years or more. It wasn't until i had a hypo while in docs office that the only one that was different and she's now left did I get a referral! My endo was uncertain till another hypo happened again (constant hypos by this stage) and then all the tests.
If you feel that your named GP is not giving you any 'treatment' . Go and get an appointment, it's your health!

Reactions: 2 people

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No stayed with same surgery but seen ten (ish) different docs in like ten years or more. It wasn't until i had a hypo while in docs office that the only one that was different and she's now left did I get a referral! My endo was uncertain till another hypo happened again (constant hypos by this stage) and then all the tests.
If you feel that your named GP is not giving you any 'treatment' . Go and get an appointment, it's your health!
I bet they were the only hypos you've ever been thankful for!! I had a really bad one after a driving lesson and I didn't have any strips to see what my blood sugar was so I don't know if it was a proper one. I had only eaten around 2 and a half hours before hand.

Anyway, I've got plenty test strips and I have been testing myself since my dinner at 2:30. I didn't do a proper Glucose Tolerance Test or anything, just my usual dinner. I know I will have to take tests over the next few days to get any sort of idea.

I didn't have the usual numbers I get. Usually my reading is back to my pre meal number within an hour and carries on dropping until it is way lower than my pre meal reading by the second hour.

I just wondered if anyone could tell me if my number spikes and dips could possibly be considered normal today. I know that isn't an easy question for anyone to answer. I now know after receiving info from you guys that the numbers can be in the 'normal' range but the way they spike and fall can be considered abnormal. Anyone is free to correct me if I'm getting stuff wrong. I'm very new to all this and it's quite hard to get my head around what to look for, what to worry about and what is not worth worrying about.

So my pre meal reading (I'm working in mg/dl) was 85, 30 minutes after it was 144, an hour after 167, two hours after 94, then I had an odd feeling so took another reading and I was back up to 120, another 30 minutes after that I was back down to 88, another hour and I was 81 and my final reading another hour after that I was 77. I wanted to see if it would continue to fall but it was tea time by then

I know all the numbers themselves are in the normal range for a non diabetic, just wondering if the rise to 120 after the first spike is something that can happen?

xx

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, yes, I see. :)

Have a look at this link - please note, I am NOT suggesting you conduct a glucose tolerance test on yourself, without medical supervision!
But the results on the graph are a good indication of typical results for different types of glucose intolerance.

http://rajeun.net/gtt.html

To translate the blood glucose readings into English units, divide by 18
Thanks for that link. my gtt 1 hour was well above any of them. and 2 hour was normal.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I bet they were the only hypos you've ever been thankful for!! I had a really bad one after a driving lesson and I didn't have any strips to see what my blood sugar was so I don't know if it was a proper one. I had only eaten around 2 and a half hours before hand.

Anyway, I've got plenty test strips and I have been testing myself since my dinner at 2:30. I didn't do a proper Glucose Tolerance Test or anything, just my usual dinner. I know I will have to take tests over the next few days to get any sort of idea.

I didn't have the usual numbers I get. Usually my reading is back to my pre meal number within an hour and carries on dropping until it is way lower than my pre meal reading by the second hour.

I just wondered if anyone could tell me if my number spikes and dips could possibly be considered normal today. I know that isn't an easy question for anyone to answer. I now know after receiving info from you guys that the numbers can be in the 'normal' range but the way they spike and fall can be considered abnormal. Anyone is free to correct me if I'm getting stuff wrong. I'm very new to all this and it's quite hard to get my head around what to look for, what to worry about and what is not worth worrying about.

So my pre meal reading (I'm working in mg/dl) was 85, 30 minutes after it was 144, an hour after 167, two hours after 94, then I had an odd feeling so took another reading and I was back up to 120, another 30 minutes after that I was back down to 88, another hour and I was 81 and my final reading another hour after that I was 77. I wanted to see if it would continue to fall but it was tea time by then

I know all the numbers themselves are in the normal range for a non diabetic, just wondering if the rise to 120 after the first spike is something that can happen?

xx
Me again!
Your fasting or pre meal is very normal. That's were I am in the 80s.
Your first reading is a spike but not much, if it was a glucose test I would hit 130+ but it is too close to the meal if you are testing to discover a spike which will give you averages. I recommend 1 hour after then 2 hours, then if you are seeing if you hypo, at 3 hours. A glucose test would run to 4 hours if the test solution was glucose.
Nothing from your readings show anything but normal from what I can see.
Can you say what you ate?
Keep testing to satisfy yourself that there is something happening when feel different

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Me again!
Your fasting or pre meal is very normal. That's were I am in the 80s.
Your first reading is a spike but not much, if it was a glucose test I would hit 130+ but it is too close to the meal if you are testing to discover a spike which will give you averages. I recommend 1 hour after then 2 hours, then if you are seeing if you hypo, at 3 hours. A glucose test would run to 4 hours if the test solution was glucose.
Nothing from your readings show anything but normal from what I can see.
Can you say what you ate?
Keep testing to satisfy yourself that there is something happening when feel different
I had a ham sandwich (brown bread) and a few tortilla chips. Hello again by the way! so the 167 reading after an hour is ok?

There is never much consistency when I do readings a few days in a row. Which makes me think there's nothing wrong with me, then I have a few ****** days and feel terrible with hypo symptoms. I don't want to ignore what's happening but I also don't want to be a total hypochondriac and convince myself there's a problem when there isn't one.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

xx

Glad you are getting into the swing of testing!

I'm not sure that you can read anything into a single set of readings for one meal. Meters aren't really that accurate. They are required to have a certain accuracy, + or - 15%.
So you can be 150 in your units, and the meter might read anywhere between 135 and 165.

So your results all clustered around 90 are kind of same-ish. If you plot them on a graph, you will see a rough curve, but the precise points on the curve aren't at important as the curve itself. If you see what I mean.

Then, when you add in tomorrow's curve, and the day after, and the next... You start to see the emerging pattern. So long as you eat similar portions.

Ideally you would eat the same thing, in the same portions for several days, and test at set time intervals.
Of course, real life doesn't make this possible, but you get my drift.
(Please don't get obsessive about this! You are trying to get BG control so that you can enjoy life, not so that you can control your BG to the nth degree!)

Going back to your test numbers, I wonder what happened in the 2 hour gap between 167 and 94... Was the peak before or after the 167?

Also, what did you eat? You are going to get bigger highs and lows with more carbs. But you are also going to feel worse. So you get to decide how far you want to go in the pursuit of science... ;)

Welcome to the wobbly world of testing.

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had a ham sandwich (brown bread) and a few tortilla chips. Hello again by the way! so the 167 reading after an hour is ok?

There is never much consistency when I do readings a few days in a row. Which makes me think there's nothing wrong with me, then I have a few ****** days and feel terrible with hypo symptoms. I don't want to ignore what's happening but I also don't want to be a total hypochondriac and convince myself there's a problem when there isn't one.
You know your own body and health! You know that something isnt quite right.
But you need evidence and the only way that you can do it is by testing and experimenting and recording so when you aren't feeling yourself and then see your medics you have the proof and with the right questions to ask you will convince them to refer you. Keep fighting. I would be in a very different place if I hadn't known something other than what I had been misdiagnosed with. I was proven right!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just another couple of questions from me. What sort of symptoms are you regularly having?
What is your eyesight like? And when is it worst?
What's the worst time of day?
How's your sleep pattern?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Our posts crossed. :)

That's a fairly high carb meal. But your results weren't nearly as bad as mine would be with those foods, so that is good. But have a look at the bloodsugar101 link in my sig for ideal BG levels. You are a bit above that. :)

Re your variable results over different days, there are other factors which have a huge influence on BG, and RH. My big triggers are stress, sleeplessness and exercise. So a day from hell would be sleeping badly before a job interview, and then having to run to catch the train. I would have the worst possible hypo.

Other people may have different triggers, including things like food intolerances, breast feeding, pmt, depression, other medical conditions, anger, medication, pain... even sex. Basically the list is endless.

This is why it is so difficult for doctors to recognise and diagnose. And reproducing the triggers on demand... Good luck with that!

So, at the moment, just keep testing. And recording what you ate. When. And you will start to see the patterns emerging. Promise!

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Glad you are getting into the swing of testing!

I'm not sure that you can read anything into a single set of readings for one meal. Meters aren't really that accurate. They are required to have a certain accuracy, + or - 15%.
So you can be 150 in your units, and the meter might read anywhere between 135 and 165.

So your results all clustered around 90 are kind of same-ish. If you plot them on a graph, you will see a rough curve, but the precise points on the curve aren't at important as the curve itself. If you see what I mean.

Then, when you add in tomorrow's curve, and the day after, and the next... You start to see the emerging pattern. So long as you eat similar portions.

Ideally you would eat the same thing, in the same portions for several days, and test at set time intervals.
Of course, real life doesn't make this possible, but you get my drift.
(Please don't get obsessive about this! You are trying to get BG control so that you can enjoy life, not so that you can control your BG to the nth degree!)

Going back to your test numbers, I wonder what happened in the 2 hour gap between 167 and 94... Was the peak before or after the 167?

Also, what did you eat? You are going to get bigger highs and lows with more carbs. But you are also going to feel worse. So you get to decide how far you want to go in the pursuit of science... ;)

Welcome to the wobbly world of testing.
I'm not enjoying the world of testing so far.... Fingers full of holes, I take my hat off to you guys. This stuff is so complicated and you're all so knowledgeable and willing to help everyone. I had no idea of how much work diabetics have to do to keep themselves right and how some doctors are no help.

xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just another couple of questions from me. What sort of symptoms are you regularly having?
What is your eyesight like? And when is it worst?
What's the worst time of day?
How's your sleep pattern?
The symptoms I keep getting are sudden shakes, a cold sweaty feeling and an intense hunger. I get those all at the same time, out of nowhere. It has happened mostly early evening but sometimes late morning and had a couple times it's happened in the afternoon. Sometimes I get extreme fatigue very shortly after eating. I wear contacts usually as I am very short sighted so I think my eyesight is an unreliable indicator. I get about 6-7 hours of sleep per night and I always sleep right through and never have trouble falling asleep.

xx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The symptoms I keep getting are sudden shakes, a cold sweaty feeling and an intense hunger. I get those all at the same time, out of nowhere. It has happened mostly early evening but sometimes late morning and had a couple times it's happened in the afternoon. Sometimes I get extreme fatigue very shortly after eating. I wear contacts usually as I am very short sighted so I think my eyesight is an unreliable indicator. I get about 6-7 hours of sleep per night and I always sleep right through and never have trouble falling asleep.

xx

Sorry, have to go to bed in a mo, but just thought - the extreme fatigue soon after eating could be high BG (diabetics often get this), or food intolerance. Milk makes me yawn. Cream, cheese and butter don't. So I assume it is the whey proteins in the milk, because they are removed to make cream, butter and cheese...

Right. Bedtime. G'night!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
From your post I infer that you have a lull between meals. This is where testing is really useful. Be interesting to see your levels for those lulls.
As in a previous post I said that RH sufferers need to snack all day between 2-3 hours to prevent the lull. A little often is preferable. Keep testing. Do you have mood swings or anxiety?

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry, have to go to bed in a mo, but just thought - the extreme fatigue soon after eating could be high BG (diabetics often get this), or food intolerance. Milk makes me yawn. Cream, cheese and butter don't. So I assume it is the whey proteins in the milk, because they are removed to make cream, butter and cheese...

Right. Bedtime. G'night!
Night!!!!! Thanks for replying again. I'm keeping food intolerance in mind. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Emma P

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
From your post I infer that you have a lull between meals. This is where testing is really useful. Be interesting to see your levels for those lulls.
As in a previous post I said that RH sufferers need to snack all day between 2-3 hours to prevent the lull. A little often is preferable. Keep testing. Do you have mood swings or anxiety?
Yep my mood has been greatly changeable over the last few months since getting the other symptoms. I have had anxiety problems too, they have been a problem for a while but I can usually manage them effectively.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The list of symptoms is long and varied and everyone is different. So as well as testing and recording have a search for symptoms for RH. You probably don't realise some until you see the list for example, quick to anger and forgetfulness! Which I always forget!
I blamed a lot of my symptoms on age.
But I was wrong!