Question for those who have used low carbs for more than 5 years and have maintained their weigh

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
E

xactly! Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" It is weight watchers that isn't working for you not the other way around Hilary!
I used to belong to Slimmng World for years after my babies (now 20 and 25) and always did the RED days (mostly protein and very low carb) never green days (carbs and limited protein and fat) as I gained weight on GREEN as did many but not all in the group. later on Slimming world allowed much more fruit and I gained weight again and did not get ,slimmer of the week, sticker anymore. I gave up the fruit.

The carbs calling to you from the fridge etc is so familar, I too have eaten an entire 8oz tub of cooking cherries, out of date pop corn, entire box of gluten free mince pies, etc when carb craving. I try to keep house empty of temptation but sooner or later would give in and hate myself for being weak. After the first 3 days LCHF I can look a GF garlic and corriander Naan in the eye and not want it. I always knew I should be low carb but also tried to be low fat according to the (now rapidly being proved incorrect) health guidlines but I could never keep it up long term before landing here and being given 'permission' to have good hearth healthy fats. The difference to cravings, as far as I can see, is that the fat makes the difference. I use virgin olive oil, cocnut oil and some butter without guilt and now find the diet very easy. I'm on first 8 weeks of Diane Kress's Diabetes Miracle diet. (she is a registered dietitian T2)
There was also a post today on here (will go and find it) of more research from Ohio on high fat low carb diets compared to high carb.

My fasting BG down from 6.67mmol to 4.9 - 5.2 in just 4 weeks.

Run a whole bunch of trig, choleresteral, CRP etc on yourself and monitor, monitor monitor your BG levels accoring to the advise here.. You are in a unique position to be your own guinee pig and report your findings according to your training.

My father-in-law (retired NHS surgeon) have me very good advise when I was trying to convince GP something wrong with tiny, gastric daughter who wasn't growing. He told me to chart her weight/height/diet over time. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-targeted (SMART ) goals. I was too close to the problem to think about applying my professional management training to a personal issue.
Once the pediatric Gastroenterologist could see that she was below the 3rd centile (50th at birth) they finally diagnosed by biopsy (she was sero negative) coeliac. Sorry for the long post but I can so see where you are coming from.

Long and short is what you are doing isn't acheiving the results you require so do something else!

Kind of off topic, folks. Apologies:

Hi @Toulouse31 !

Thought you might like to know the outcome of my Diane Cress Diabetes Miracle eating. Post #4080 on this page.

Glad it's going so well for you. :)

And lovely to see you posting the wider forum. :happy:

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the 800 cal newcastle diet, that is currently doing a 5 yr funded trial
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94
and a later lecture
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes

cholesterol and lipids

ketogenic LCHF

Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb.

800.? I spent 3 months eating 100 too much.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have agreed with you a year ago. The many times over the last 25 years I was able to lose weight for a while I had to reduce my calories to less than 1800 a day to lose weight on a low fat high carb diet. Now, on a LCHF diet I am losing about a pound a week eating 2300 calories a day. I feel like an idiot for having been so skeptical about LCHF that I didn't try it. I only went on it to control my blood glucose. I wasn't even trying to lose weight, but I did, even though I was eating more calories.
You cant disagree with that. sorry you can disagree with that but you will be wrong

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You cant disagree with that. sorry you can disagree with that but you will be wrong
No I am not wrong. I have the data to back it up. Perhaps it doesn't make sense to you, but on a LCHF diet compared to a LFHC diet your baseline metabolic rate increases. This results in weight loss despite an increase in calories.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I am not wrong. I have the data to back it up. Perhaps it doesn't make sense to you, but on a LCHF diet compared to a LFHC diet your baseline metabolic rate increases. This results in weight loss despite an increase in calories.

I think he was agreeing with you... But it is a bit difficult to tell. ;)

Reactions: 3 people

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will live and learn.:)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
When talking to the Practise Nurse at my latest review - well, it was more the Practise Nurse talking. I was told I had done very well (thanks to this forum rather than the Advice from the Practise Nurse) and that I'm no longer Diabetic. When I replied "but, there's no cure is there?" I was told "I'm taking you off the Diabetic register and noting you as a Pre Diabetic as all your HbA1c results since diagnosis have been consistently in the Pre-Diabetic range." It was also made clear that it was non negotiable. If i had any flab it would have been aghast! :eek:
Is there no "Post Diabetic" classification?

Reactions: 6 people