Type 2 advice please

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
My readings have been quite high lately. 14.9 just now 3 hrs after food. My question is can I do anything or eat anything this will bring this down? Brisk walk maybe? I will be having dinner in about an hour and don't want it to go up. Thanks in advance.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
My readings have been quite high lately. 14.9 just now 3 hrs after food. My question is can I do anything or eat anything this will bring this down? Brisk walk maybe? I will be having dinner in about an hour and don't want it to go up. Thanks in advance.
Hi not quite sure how to get them down,it may have something to do with what you have eaten today,I keep a food diary to see what makes my levels go up I do not eat any carbs and no fizzy drinks which I did enjoy cola my readings today 2 hrs after my dinner were 5.9 I had 1 chicken Kiev and 6 Brussels sprouts before dinner it was 8.0 and I made the mistake of having 2 malteasers.
I hope you manage to get some other advice and good luck with your readings.

Reactions: 2 people

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
Hi Snowy12. Thanks for your reply. I was very naughty and had coffee and a scone at 3pm so I guess I do know why it went up. It is now 10.40pm and two readings have been 13.8 at 7.30pm and 12.9 at 9.30pm. Did you only have Kiev and 6 sprouts for dinner? My readings would definitely be low if I ate that but I would be starving lol. I need to find things to eat that fill me but don't cause a rise to occur. I always start a food diary but get side-tracked and forget to fill it in. Low carb is the only thing that works for me but it is so hard to stick to. Must try harder. Best wishes x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people take a walk about an hour after eating a carb laden meal and say it works. I've never tried it.

Those levels are high, Maeve. What sort of meals are you eating? If you eat low carb you need to increase your fat and/or protein or you will feel hungry and need a snack. If you get the balance right between carbs, fat and protein you will not be hungry. Fat fills you up. Carbs just make you hungry for more.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Hi Snowy12. Thanks for your reply. I was very naughty and had coffee and a scone at 3pm so I guess I do know why it went up. It is now 10.40pm and two readings have been 13.8 at 7.30pm and 12.9 at 9.30pm. Did you only have Kiev and 6 sprouts for dinner? My readings would definitely be low if I ate that but I would be starving lol. I need to find things to eat that fill me but don't cause a rise to occur. I always start a food diary but get side-tracked and forget to fill it in. Low carb is the only thing that works for me but it is so hard to stick to. Must try harder. Best wishes x
Hi Irish maeve they do seem to be high but at least you know what made it that way,yes that was my dinner for tonight at first I was starving hungry you would think I had never eaten before it only lasted about 4-5 days I just filled up on water,I do feel like I eat more now though but it is in smaller portions no carbs on my plate and fill up on vegetables,for breakfast I have Greek yogurt with a few raspberries,ryvita with pumpkin seeds on and I have a small bowl of scrambled eggs and small cheese bites this is just some of the things I eat I still like my meat so have gone to lean cuts,don't get me wrong it is very hard and so easy to slip back I did earlier had some malteasers couldn't help myself and it went up to 8.0 so the same must resist temptation especially when other members of the family are eating what they like hopefully I won't have to worry about loosing any weight after Christmas lol.I hope your next lot of readings are ok.Take care Andrea.

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
Hello Bluetit. Good to hear from you. I had gone really low carb and my readings were wonderful - never above 10 and generally around 6/7. My GP reduced my Gliclazide from 3 to 2 per day. Unfortunately I was losing too much weight (1st) and so have gradually re-introduced carbs (potato/bread mostly). The past week the levels have been creeping back up and I started (without consulting GP) taking 3 Gliclazine again. Meals Today: 9am, porridge for breakfast. Lunch 1.30pm: half a carton of Country Kitchen tomato soup with grated cheese & 1 slice wheaten bread. 3.15pm. coffee & plain scone. Dinner 6.45pm. breaded plaice/1 potato/carrots/turnip/3 sprouts/broccoli/sweet potato and small yogurt with 10 blueberries. 9pm - small plain coffee. That sounds a lot for dinner but mostly veg and not enormous helpings. Am I eating all the wrong things? I have put 7lb back on but wd love to put another 7lb on if I can.

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
Hi Irish maeve they do seem to be high but at least you know what made it that way,yes that was my dinner for tonight at first I was starving hungry you would think I had never eaten before it only lasted about 4-5 days I just filled up on water,I do feel like I eat more now though but it is in smaller portions no carbs on my plate and fill up on vegetables,for breakfast I have Greek yogurt with a few raspberries,ryvita with pumpkin seeds on and I have a small bowl of scrambled eggs and small cheese bites this is just some of the things I eat I still like my meat so have gone to lean cuts,don't get me wrong it is very hard and so easy to slip back I did earlier had some malteasers couldn't help myself and it went up to 8.0 so the same must resist temptation especially when other members of the family are eating what they like hopefully I won't have to worry about loosing any weight after Christmas lol.I hope your next lot of readings are ok.Take care Andrea.

Yes it isn't easy - keep falling off the No Carb wagon. My problem is trying to keep weight on!! lol I'm naturally very slim and it was all the sugar and carbs that kept me at a good weight, post T2 diagnosis, so now they have been reduced my weight is dropping too low. I shouldn't let it bother me as long as I get the BS down but I hate the "oh you've lost a lot of weight" kind of remarks from insensitive ppl. I will try a few of your suggestions and thanks again.

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
@Irish Maeve

I found a good way to lower Blood Glucose if it was high - certainly when I was in the teens like you've been today - was a gentle stroll for at least 20 minutes.

I noticed mention of a brisk walk - I'd suggest avoiding that for the full duration as your body may do a liver dump and actually raise your Blood Glucose levels.

There's something to be said for gentle walk interspersed with short periods of brisk walking but, for now I'd suggest it's better to take a long slow stroll to burn the glucose.

I found 30 minutes strolling would bring my blood glucose down by around 3 - 4 mmol / L you will probably have different results.

Thank you for your input Nomistheman. It's a bit late to be out walking at the minute but I will certainly give it a try next time.

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
Update on BS readings. Haven't eaten since dinner at 7pm and BS down to 7.6! Starving seems to work for me. I'm so hungry but will just go to bed. Goodnight folks and thanks for everyone's help.

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your input Nomistheman. It's a bit late to be out walking at the minute but I will certainly give it a try next time.
TBH, I would start thinking about more meds, it's important to get your BG in range and a scone sending you to 12 doesn't give you any room to move. I would talk to the Dr and even get a referral to an endo for really professional advice
if your kidneys are good, you can increase your protein 5% to get some weight on, the high fat gives energy but excess won't put on fat

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update on BS readings. Haven't eaten since dinner at 7pm and BS down to 7.6! Starving seems to work for me. I'm so hungry but will just go to bed. Goodnight folks and thanks for everyone's help.
you can't do that, have a fry up of eggs and sausage/steak and mushroom
if you are starving you are doing LCHF wrong, most times, it's not enough fat

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Why were you trying no carb? That is doomed to failure....

Lynn_L

You shouldn't be starving yourself. I did that once and I found that I became very upset and depressed.

Best is that you take smaller meals and keep a check on the readings. In fact, you could do trial and error to check on what foods that actually causes your readings to remains high. Even some brands of the same kind of food can cause spike in my BS while others does nothing to it.

You could also drink a cup of Japanese Green Tea to helps lower the spike after a high carb meal.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Tonight I ate pasta with tuna fish, sweet corn, tomatoes. Ok????

Not really. Tomatoes are OK. The tuna is fine. Any fish or meat is good. However, pasta is one of the worst things for raising blood sugar levels (along with potatoes, rice, bread, cereals and pastry). Sweetcorn also has a lot of carbs. If you had a meter you would be able to see for yourself what the pasta and sweetcorn may have done to your levels.

Perryclare

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really. Tomatoes are OK. The tuna is fine. Any fish or meat is good. However, pasta is one of the worst things for raising blood sugar levels (along with potatoes, rice, bread, cereals and pastry). Sweetcorn also has a lot of carbs. If you had a meter you would be able to see for yourself what the pasta and sweetcorn may have done to your levels.
Oh I thou I have to eat bread, rice, potatoes, cereal, pasta per day. I'm newly and don't know how but will see the nurse this Friday am which is my first appt.

Perryclare

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I thou I have to eat bread, rice, potatoes, cereal, pasta per day. I'm newly and don't know how but will see the nurse this Friday am which is my first appt.
I just confused about pasta etc. one of my friend who aw same as mine. Say u can eat pasta or rice or potatoes etc.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I just confused about pasta etc. one of my friend who aw same as mine. Say u can eat pasta or rice or potatoes etc.

You MAY get away with it, but bluetit is right. Pasta (in most instances) is an absolute no go zone. Same applies to potatotes, rcie, breads and cereals.

You have to test with a meter to establish how it reacts. Good luck Mike

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Unfortunately the NHS dietary guidance is wrong. It is fine for healthy people, but not for type 2 diabetics. Sadly, your nurse will most likely tell you to eat pasta, rice, bread, potatoes etc. but she will only be churning out the NHS diet advice, and really, it is very unsuitable for type 2's. This is probably where your friend got it from.

All carbohydrates convert to glucose once inside your body, and glucose is the one thing we do not want! You will only learn what you can eat and in what portions by buying a meter and testing. I urge you to buy one if you want to control this disease. Your nurse will probably also tell you not to test - please ignore her.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Your nurse unfortunately is likely to repeat the recommendation to eat carbohydrates with every meal. Most do but for diabetics it is wrong. If you want to control your blood sugar levels you need to reduce carbs and avoid the worst ones - pasta, potatoes, bread, rice, cereals. This is what many on here have done.