Really fed up- feeling like a failure as a parent.

Angiejean

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a parent of a type 1

I think I have having a bad few days. Apart from the morning readings which are usually ok under 7 the rest of the day seems rubbish. Over 10 pre-lunch so corrected and still high now before tea at 13 which means more correction.
I think the Levemir is ok at the dose as the morning reading is ok and she never goes more that 4 hrs without eating as a child so there is not much of a fasting gap to test during the day as the Novo rapid does its 4hr cycle.

Its just over 3 months now and the ratio of insulin to carbs seems to be going up all the time. Do you think this sound like the end of the honeymoon period. she is currently on 1:13 ratio but after these few days I think she will be 1:12. Does this seem high for an 8 year old. before when we had a higher basal dose she was only just waking up on a 4 which we felt was a little low so we lowered that ages ago.

She is not complaining of being unwell. I am just fed up with all these bad results and feel that I am failing her as a parent as I am responsible for getting it right.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, sorry, I can't really help as I'm type 2, except to say I think it's normal to feel a failure as a parent :)

I'm really answering this to 'bump' your post so that someone more helpful can come along to answer you. :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Angiejean
remember it is early days and 3 months is not a very long time. I am sure you are doing a wonderful job and your daughter i am sure will think so.
in the early days the body does still produce some insulin called the honeymoon period and i would think she is still in this phase.
It is important to realise that the carb ratio can change and that other circumstances can influence blood sugar such as exercise and the exact food that is being eaten.
my carb ratio changes during the day -- it is about 1 unit per 4 carb at breakfast and 1 per 5 at teatime.

reamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're not a failure and there's no written rules for this. Every person is different and it's all trial and error. Just keep going :)

I've been doing it 8 years and still don't get it right. As long as she's happy and healthy you're doing it right x

Reactions: 2 people

stephsmum

As a mum of a 16 yo girl diagnosed last year I can assure you that you are not a failure. T1 is a constant juggle of numbers. Your daughter may well be coming out of honeymoon. You're obviously confident enough to change ratios without DSN involvement which is great. The best advice I had from my daughter's first consultant was this: the pre-meal number is based on the insulin given at the previous meal. So unless you child has had a high carb snack between meals which wasn't bolused for then on the evidence of what you have written you need to change the ratio. is 1:12 better than 1:13? Hopefully it is. My daughter is on 1:7 for breakfast and lunch and 1:9 for her evening meal. Every t1 will have different ratios, there are no rules for age or weight although there is a calculation based on these when first diagnosed. If you're on Facebook there's a lovely group Diabetic Mums UK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello, some great replies and I concur that you are definitely not a failure, You are doing a terrific job, even posting on here shows what a caring parent you are and many, many parents feel anxious too.:angelic:
Don't forget children are growing all the time and so their needs do change. Also teenagers hitting puberty, exams etc it can affect their medication, as at this time hormones are flying everywhere.
Good luck and all the best

RRB:)

Scoobyzoo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hi there, like yourself I'm fed up with the added daily task of managing diabetes, my daughter is 13 and diagnosed just over 8 months ago in March. She takes 10 units of levemir at bed time at on an odd occasion needs novorapid. She on the other hand has mostly low blood sugars as she produces her own insulin still. I put it down to how active she is, she loves acrobatics and gymnastics. I would take the 10 Levemir down but her 3 month blood sugar is 6.5 which is really good. If you can try to get a blood sugar of 4-5 first thing the rest if the day will be easier.

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in the same boat, and I still feel that way often, but I have a few tips that may or may not be for you. Maybe you need companionship. I could not find that with people so I bought a dog. Maybe you need religion. Knowing there is a god changes things no matter how lame it sounds. Go on a vacation. Change your scenery. Continue to help others because in service to others you forget about your own problems. Don't sit alone in a dark room and tell yourself you are worthless. . . it's not healthy. . . Keep on living your life: all things shall pass, even the bad stuff.