How do I help

Aliisa

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello All

I have a son and daughter-in-law who have been given the news that, what was diagnosed by their doctor as a chest infection on the last 4 occasions that they took their baby, is, in fact, Type 1 diabetes and he is now in intensive care. We are all hopeful that with the care he receives from the intensive care doctors and nurses and the information and guidance on coping with Type 1, he will be home in time for Christmas. My reason for joining this forum is to get some advice from people, particularly grandparents, on how to manage this illness. Mum and dad will obviously look after the baby's everyday needs but grandmas and grandads need to know how to help without interfering. I've absolutely no experience of dealing with a long term illness in an adult let alone a little baby/toddler. Is there anyone out there who can give me some advice.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, the only advice I can give is to learn from the parents, even go to the Dr visits with them if you are likely to ever be looking after their baby and take notes so that you can refer to them later. Poor little mite, hope he is OK, sending healing vibes his way.

All the best.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello, firstly can I say how sorry I am to hear your news.

Well, I am type 1 and then 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 and seriously ill in in the HDU at hospital, oxygen mask, tubes coming out of every where and tbh It broke my heart. I couldn't stop crying every time I saw her and had to keep leaving the room, it was shock and I felt a little angry too, that a child should be fighting for their life, with this condition. Her mum and dad took it much better than me and were calm and just got on with it.
I found having to inject her with her Insulin very hard at first, it was as though I was hurting her. I was given her diabetes children's nurse's number, and any concerns or problems I could ring him. It's a learning curve with children, giving snacks mid morning and mid afternoon, sleep naps during the day, any corrections if blood sugar is high, (HYPER) and giving food, or a sweet drink if low ( HYPO).
Three years on and she is a happy and healthy 6 year old who just gets on with it, we even have the same blood glucose meter :).
Children are tough little cookies, and I'm sure, given a little time, you will be just fine with it all.
I wish you all the best and for your grandson to have a happy and a healthy future.

Take care RRB:)

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm also very sorry to hear of your news. Though it must have come as a terrible shock to both you and your family, none of you should feel guilty in any way. The little one is still somebody very special, it's just that he also happens to have diabetes that makes him extra special. These things do happen even to one who is so young.
The good news is that his diabetes has been discovered so early, so corrective measures can now be put in place to help the little one throughout his life.
You and his parents need to take things one step at a time. There is much to take in and learn in the early stages and the thought of having to inject Insulin into one so young is obviously a major worry to you all at this time. Don't worry unduly, there are millions of us diabetics out there and we manage to get by from day to day.
You have made a very good start by joining this forum, so please ask away with any question that is troubling you no matter how basic you feel it might be as there are many here who will willingly want to help.
Spend some time searching through this site and noting the good information that it contains as it will help you and the little one's parent understand more of what diabetes is, and how best to master and control it on behalf of the little one.

With best wishes - Lazybones

Aliisa

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you all so very much for your responses. I went to see my grandson today. He's off the monitors etc. and now very hungry so that's a good sign. It was so good to read all your replies and know that there are people who are out there with sympathetic ears.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I cannot give you much information except some hope. My sister son had a child some 10 years ago now born with type 1 and to add into the ingredient they were in Dubai at the time and had to stay there for some 8 years. Although a lot of the treatment was conducted in the UK they had to keep going back & fourth. I understand that after a period of time he was fitted with a pump.

His mother has studied type 1 to the nth degree probably knows more than some doctors.

Saul the boy is still exceptionally well has done all the normal things all the schooling etc. & he has also come to terms with where he is at. So although it may indeed feel devastating news at the moment, certainly in my sisters grandsons case everything has turned out OK.
Neil