Which type?

emiliano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everybody,
reading through this very helpful forum I discovered about this 1.5 type diabetes which seems to be my case.
could anybody give me some info about it?
I always thought of myself as a Type 1, but maybe that's not the case.

I become aware of my diabetes at age 37 (seven years ago), after a very difficult period of my life, which included heavy drinking, careless eating and much stress.
I've never been obese, but rather massively built and quite muscular. always been a nervous eater, but also lead a very active life sportwise so I never ever gained excess weight.
No history of diabetes in my family.
Was put on metf at first due to my age, then I went through the usual "honeymoon" during which I could manage things just watching my diet and exercising. Than, gradually, insulin.
My HBA1c has always been around 7% or less so I'm doing fairly good.
Now I extremely low carb, run, lift weights, play basketball, trek, walk the dog, walk without the dog... anything. I'm reasonably healthy and strong and satisfied with how things are going.
I inject in average less than 40 (24 basal) insulin units per day at 85 -87 kgs.

I'd like to know if are there some peculiarities about this 1.5 type I can take advantage of. or should I treat it as a "normal" type1?

thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
LADA's (T1.5) still have some beta cells producing insulin. There is much evidence that shows beta cells destruct only with high blood sugar levels (above around 5.6) and that LADA's can keep their remaining beta cells, maybe indefinitely, if they can keep low sugar levels.

I am LADA. For the last 4 months I have been striving to keep my bg levels below 5 fasting and below 6 2hrs after meals. Over this period of time I can not detect any deterioration of my beta cells. Eg my bg levels, with the same food intake and weight are the same now as they were 4 months ago. 4 months is not a long period of time, and things could change anytime soon. But I am convinced that low blood sugar levels help preserve what remaining beta cells we have.

Diagnosed LADA nearly a year ago now, no insulin or meds.

emiliano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mmhh
Then I am definitely not LADA. Without insulin my BG goes through the roof in no time. My sensation is that I have no insulin secretion whatsoever.

Thanks

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
You can still be LADA when on insulin. When LADA you have some remaining insulin making beta cells, but have lost most.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. LADA can come on at any rate and age and the degree of islet cell destruction varies a lot. I have to have insulin to keep blood within a reasonable range and my c-peptide test showed I had virtually no natural insulin. We all vary. Just think of LADA as advancing T1 where insulin will normally be needed long-term.