Newly Diagnosed Type 1 - Informed DVLA , licence is being withdrawn and replaced with a 3 year ?

Newly Diagnosed Type 1 - licence is being withdrawn and replaced with a 3 year , is this standard ?

• Total voters

lukey2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello ,

Quick Question ,

I have recently been re diagnosed as Type one, informed the DVLA about this and that I am on insulin ,
I have been informed that my current licence sill be withdrawn and replaced with a new short period licence which will be valid for 3 years. Is this standard practice ?

Thank you in advance....

Luke

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Yeah that's standard, same thing happening to me
Don't expect it back quickly tho, I sent mine back to them on 14th October, chased it up on Monday this week and told it can be up to a further 8 weeks before my licence arrives!!!!!

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
What do you mean by re diagnosed

lukey2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
type two since 2010ish , HbA1c had been increasing , had additional Blood test done which came back with High GAD antibodies and then I have been re diagnosed with type one

lukey2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And cheers for the response ..........best dig out my paper copy ,There is some one doing an online petition about diabetics and driving , not sure what the rules are about links so I wont post incase.....

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry for being noisy! Its me :)

If anyone is interested the petition can be accessed here:https://www.change.org/p/rt-hon-dav...ed-carefully-in-the-context-of-the-individual

Please read, sign and share the petition and if anyone wants to contact me you can do so on here or on Facebook where I have set up a group called Action for Diabetic Drivers. I hope that this petition can at least bring the concerns to the government so that these regulations can be reviewed and hopefully prevent this happening to other diabetics. I would also love to hear from anyone that has done this before or is going through the same problem. I hope that it is the case that there aren't many of you, but from my research I worry that this probably isn't the case. Wish me luck!!

Helen Nicholds
Action For Diabetic Drivers

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
It's normal practice for checks to be made on certain medical conditions including diabetes. Insulin dependant diabetes is on the list. You can still drive on your original licence until you are told not too or a replacement is issued. Do check and understand the restrictions on the vehicles you are restricted to driving now.

lukey2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally got my replacement license, going to be a pain updating every 3 years

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
And make sure you take a photocopy before you send it off.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't have to send back licence if it has less than 3 months left.

lukey2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No , nor your insurance, travel insurance you will need to though.

lukey2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told only to inform when I got re diagnosed, I was told that metformin and Glicizide treatment that you didn't need to inform DVLA or insurance, I had read some horror tales about holiday insurance not paying if you hadn't informed them, ... Regarding car insurance I noticed that premiums changed when using comparison sites however when you speak to the provider this shouldn't effect it, I suppose the best thing is to disclose to both DVLA and your insurance company to cover your self , sorry for any confusion

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If one is diagnoised with type 2 do you have to inform Dvla?
As you are on metformin no to dvla but do cover yourself by telling your ins company. There are different rules and regulations for commercial driver ie., taxi so do check if that is the case.