Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine are 8.4 to 12.9 which is worrying me. I have a cold so maybe that is why it has risen. I am still on only 500g of Metformin which will be doubled I believe next week. Hopefully, it lowers soon. Please can anybody tell me how they felt when their meds were upped. Did you feel physically better?

I don't think that Metformin really lowers levels all that much tbh. I've read it has most effect on the fasting level and I did see some drop in that when doubling my Metformin but not a huge one and it's hard to know if it was that or losing 4st that did it. Personally I've found that ditching bread, pasta, rice and potatoes( bar the odd few chips (and I mean few) followed by vigorous peddling) has had most effect. What are you currently eating?

Reactions: 8 people

JSale

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been eating really well. Wholewheat pasta, brown rice and basmati mainly with an odd portion of white jasmine, multi-grain bread, loads of oats (that might be it). Salad, veg (loads of homemade soup) meat,fish, eggs, no sugary food at all. My Hba1c did go down a unit last month and I have had a cold, so will see next week. I have also lost weight and been to the gym. I guess because it is early days I have to find the right balance for my constitution. It is a challenge to say the least.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been eating really well. Wholewheat pasta, brown rice and basmati mainly with an odd portion of white jasmine, multi-grain bread, loads of oats (that might be it). Salad, veg (loads of homemade soup) meat,fish, eggs, no sugary food at all. My Hba1c did go down a unit last month and I have had a cold, so will see next week. I have also lost weight and been to the gym. I guess because it is early days I have to find the right balance for my constitution. It is a challenge to say the least.

I think you'd get lower results ignoring the healthy eating plate and ditching some if not all of those so called healthier carb options that you list. Although absorption may be slower with wholemeal bread, pasta, brown rice etc, at the end of the day they are still carbs and turn to glucose. Test small portions and see what each one does to your levels- that way to can see which ones spike you the most and are best avoided and you may find that you can eat others with no issue.

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

What sort of BS levels do you get before and after your pasta, rice, bread etc? I ask this because these foods can have the effect of high spikes, which in turn may be impacting on your fasting levels. Do you test before bed, so you can see what sort of rise you are getting overnight?

Reactions: 3 people
S

Sable_Jan

4.5, apologises for the brevity of my initial post which just said 4.5, got interrupted mid post.
Once again will happily take the reading but have to admit vodka assisted from last night.
Well off,to work for me, have a great day all,speak later.
Hope your day was a good one too - Been shopping - not my favourite occupation ;)

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine are 8.4 to 12.9 which is worrying me. I have a cold so maybe that is why it has risen. I am still on only 500g of Metformin which will be doubled I believe next week. Hopefully, it lowers soon. Please can anybody tell me how they felt when their meds were upped. Did you feel physically better?

I began taking Metformin last December, increasing gradually over 3 weeks to 4 a day. I felt no different at all until I converted to a strict low carb high fat eating regime in March. Only then did I start to feel well again, all brain fog cleared, my energy returned, sleep quality improved and my blood sugar and HbA1c levels reduced considerably, along with a significant improvement in another medical condition.

It is my belief that reducing carbs, (both brown or white starches), from our diet (which convert to sugars in our bodies), and an increase in exercise is the answer to feeling well again, and to improving our bs readings. It can take a while, but we cannot expect Metformin to work alone. We have to work with it and make lifestyle changes. It is generally believed that Metformin is mostly effective as an appetite suppressant. That is certainly my experience.

Reactions: 5 people
S

Sable_Jan

9.1 this morning
Bit on the high side but are your daytime figures better? (and is it actually a good reading for you? Keep reading a lot about the Dawn Penomenon and the liver dumping glucose into the bloodstream ready for the days work ahead especially as folks daytime postprandial readings are getting better.....

JSale

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What sort of BS levels do you get before and after your pasta, rice, bread etc? I ask this because these foods can have the effect of high spikes, which in turn may be impacting on your fasting levels. Do you test before bed, so you can see what sort of rise you are getting overnight?
I have only just started testing really. It is often just at weekends as the nurse told me the HBA1c is what I need to monitor closely. After reading more and more about diabetes though I feel I need to test more and start logging.

Reactions: 6 people

JSale

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I began taking Metformin last December, increasing gradually over 3 weeks to 4 a day. I felt no different at all until I converted to a strict low carb high fat eating regime in March. Only then did I start to feel well again, all brain fog cleared, my energy returned, sleep quality improved and my blood sugar and HbA1c levels reduced considerably, along with a significant improvement in another medical condition.

It is my belief that reducing carbs, (both brown or white starches), from our diet (which convert to sugars in our bodies), and an increase in exercise is the answer to feeling well again, and to improving our bs readings. It can take a while, but we cannot expect Metformin to work alone. We have to work with it and make lifestyle changes. It is generally believed that Metformin is mostly effective as an appetite suppressant. That is certainly my experience.

Sounds difficult with winter looming. I will try though. Thank you.

S

Sable_Jan

Hi guys sorry not been on for a while asthma is really playing up have been in A+E over the weekend. They think its due to cold damp weather and change in meds. Steroids been increased for 2wks then back to Guys to see nurse.
Sugar level 6.5 this morning and staying under 9 which i think is good with the steroids been higher.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
@loulou99782 Sorry to hear you've been poorly, hope you are feeling better soon. Sound good levels given your recent ill health

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only just started testing really. It is often just at weekends as the nurse told me the HBA1c is what I need to monitor closely. After reading more and more about diabetes though I feel I need to test more and start logging.

Yes, keeping a food diary alongside your readings is the best (and probably only) way to learn. Testing out meals is the way to go. Test before and 2 hours after you start to begin with. Patterns will emerge, and you can learn how to control portions of carbs.

Reactions: 3 people
S

Sable_Jan

What's the betting you wouldn't have had that breakfast if you hadn't run out of strips!! Lol ;)
You're betting is SPOT ON :woot: - and I was out when the postie came with my supply - needed a signature so they took it back and you can't collect until the following day (sometimes get away with it if its a late opening day at the depot but not today) Ah, well, no testing for me today (but I DID put the cream cakes back on the shelf when I saw the carbs :***: bit on the high side to say the least....

S

Sable_Jan

21.8 on waking up. Slice of brown toast, cup of tea, meds & back to bed as feel awful! Retested 2 hours later, 17.7!! Hoping for a lower reading later. Dam thing!!!
Not read on to the other replies you've probably had but the biggest culture shock with diabetes is that almost ALL of what we've been brought up to think of as "breakfast" foods are mostly so carb rich none of us can have them anymore (or some lucky ones like me being in the pre-diabetic range can get away with ONE slice of some breads but alas your system seems to be saying NO bread)

Mind you if you are still feeling ill that won't help with the readings

Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
21.8 on waking up. Slice of brown toast, cup of tea, meds & back to bed as feel awful! Retested 2 hours later, 17.7!! Hoping for a lower reading later. Dam thing!!!
Hi @Louleelou

I am more concerned with your extremely high waking up level than with the slice of toast you had for breakfast.

At the sort of levels you are currently running you should not have much of a liver induced dawn effect, so where you running that high all night?

What was your last count last night?

What time did you test and how long after dinner was that?

What did you have for dinner?

Better still can you tell us all your counts from yesterday and relate them to what you had to eat?

We can then possibly offer some more constructive advice,

Pavlos

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bit on the high side but are your daytime figures better? (and is it actually a good reading for you? Keep reading a lot about the Dawn Penomenon and the liver dumping glucose into the bloodstream ready for the days work ahead especially as folks daytime postprandial readings are getting better.....

Daytime figures have been all over the place lately ... Once it was 15!!! :nailbiting:
Had hba1c blood test done this morning and I betcha it's going to be higher than it was in August, it was 71 then. I'll find out next Monday. Not looking forward to it.

Ermmmm I don't know what dawn phenomenon is? And I've not heard of the phrase postprandial readings either. Ive got tons of research to do!!!

Louleelou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Louleelou

I am more concerned with your extremely high waking up level than with the slice of toast you had for breakfast.

At the sort of levels you are currently running you should not have much of a liver induced dawn effect, so where you running that high all night?

What was your last count last night?

What time did you test and how long after dinner was that?

What did you have for dinner?

Better still can you tell us all your counts from yesterday and relate them to what you had to eat?

We can then possibly offer some more constructive advice,

Pavlos

Hi, Pavlos

Last count last night before bed was 15.7.

My count after dinner yesterday was 13.1, after lunch 13.9, Morning 14.3.

Diet yesterday consisted of: Breakfast, 1 boiled egg, 1 slice wholemeal bread & butter. Lunch, I picked at a chicken drumstick, 2 Babybel cheese rounds & strawberry yogurt. Dinner, tin of Tuna in water, small tin of chickpeas and spinach. (For those of you who have read my other threads, you will know I'm struggling to eat due to having a Duodenal ulcer & my appetite has shrunk due to my dramatic weight loss)

Running high again tonight, last reading was 17.7. I've almost fasted today apart from a few cheese slices & slices of ham. All I can think is that my ulcer may be having an effect as I'm still in a lot of pain with it. I have to have a Urea Breath test in 2 weeks & see what the outcome of that is!

Just generally feel like Poo & starting to dread doing each test. I won't test again till bedtime now, fingers crossed I'm down a bit.

Thank you so much Pavlos for your reply, support & general concern. It's much appreciated.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.