Lack of support from the health service

lisa mcaneny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Don't like meat .
hi, i have very high sugar level like 30 or hl .my doctors have been really great. I have trouble walking as my feet hurt so much .there is help out there.

Molly0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bigotry and prejudice of all kinds.
I'm not having a great experience with the NHS myself. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about two months ago and so far have not had any help except for a few photocopied sheets of paper about diet. I was put on Metformin tablets but I had stomach problems with them and the diabetes nurse told me to stop taking them. She hasn't arranged for me to take anything else and I am not due to see her again for another three months. I have not been given a blood glucose testing kit at all either and I was told that I would be going on a one day course called Desmond Day but so far no news about that either. So basicallty I am getting no help at all!

Reactions: 2 people

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends upon what the individual needs with of health are and also what the Patient does to help themselves with their own health.

I have written lots of posts here recently that I have had really good care from the NHS in the past 30+ years. I can't fault them. Thats why I do voluntary work on behalf of the 10,000 patients in our GP Practice, to give something back to our NHS.

What support do you think you need that you aren't getting? What concerns do you have?

I am just beginning to realize I am getting no support. I bought my own meter and the dip sticks that go with it, so I only test once a week. The practice nurse also suggested that I check my blood pressure, but I bought a wrist monitor, which she said was of little use and suggested on 2-11-2014 that i BUY An arm blood pressure monitor. I have just been to the GP on Friday and she agreed to raise my met tabs to 2 a day.Trouble is, this is Tuesday and there is non in stock so I am waiting for the chemist to phone. Meanwhile I have completely run out and my BS is rising. Incidentally I was paying for my medication because no none told me diabetic medicine was free or that you get a form off the GP..

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are with high risk evaluation/assessed - you should be fast tracked .
Like podiatry team with your feet , eye team with your eyes .
Request to see a diabetes dietician worth a shot ?

At your eye and feet screen tests - do let them know
all of your concerns .
Any real issues/concerns can be fast tracked should you
warrant/need this .
Some fast track appts are booked as double appts slots .
This will give extra time to discuss all issues/concerns .
Chance to talk about diet,stress,medical history etc etc .

I am fast tracked with podiatry team (every 4 weeks) as super high risk
with foot deformities (charcot foot shape/risks)
Have motor ataxia and tiny limbs and muscles .
Also have orthotic handmade footwear via the hospital .
The system will fast track patients who warrant fast tracking .

Being job lot of coeliac/diverticulitis/gastritis of stomach plus diabetic
see diabetes team plus head diabetes dietician 3-4 weekly .
Am complex case - so we break it all down into manageable chunks !
Can only nibble food - snack sized portions .
My nervous system and auto immune damage is the cause of this
plus other things .
Mitochondrial disease plus Tcell damage too for example .

Try writing a list of your concerns and difficulties .
Take along with you and discuss in full .
Ask for an action plan way forward too .
If unsure of things - take along a friend or family member .
They can help as support and prompt things maybe forgotten
or lost along the way during the appointments .

hi, i have very high sugar level like 30 or hl .my doctors have been really great. I have trouble walking as my feet hurt so much .there is help out there.
where? not at my surgery - I.m thinking of changing my GP practice

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I am just beginning to realize I am getting no support. I bought my own meter and the dip sticks that go with it, so I only test once a week. The practice nurse also suggested that I check my blood pressure, but I bought a wrist monitor, which she said was of little use and suggested on 2-11-2014 that i BUY An arm blood pressure monitor. I have just been to the GP on Friday and she agreed to raise my met tabs to 2 a day.Trouble is, this is Tuesday and there is non in stock so I am waiting for the chemist to phone. Meanwhile I have completely run out and my BS is rising. Incidentally I was paying for my medication because no none told me diabetic medicine was free or that you get a form off the GP..

Poor you. Do feel for you. Not nice knowing ur levels going to rise thru someone else fault!!

TheCordwainer

Hello all. An interesting discussion. I am disabled (polio) but have a specific interest in Diabetes as most of the people I see professionally have diabetes, and many with Charcot. I am part of the Orthotics Campaign which aims to improve the supply of orthotics through the NHS. It has to be said the vast majority of patients receive an excellent service from the NHS, good support, good orthotics and good footwear when needed. But dealing consistently with Charcot seems to be a sticking point and that's where effective treatment and footwear matters most. Advice costs nothing, and if anyone needs leaflets on 'Orthotics (or footwear) through the NHS which I designed for the Polio Fellowship then please let me know. Philip

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not having a great experience with the NHS myself. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about two months ago and so far have not had any help except for a few photocopied sheets of paper about diet. I was put on Metformin tablets but I had stomach problems with them and the diabetes nurse told me to stop taking them. She hasn't arranged for me to take anything else and I am not due to see her again for another three months. I have not been given a blood glucose testing kit at all either and I was told that I would be going on a one day course called Desmond Day but so far no news about that either. So basicallty I am getting no help at all!
Hi Molly0
well you are here on this forum which is probably the best place for help on the planet. Take some time to read the posts in the type 2 forum and then maybe the low-carb diet forum and have a look around. Get yourself a blood testing monitor and test before and 2 hours after eating to see which foods spike your sugars then avoid them. The nurses and doctors seem limited to do what they are told by NICE which does not seem to be the best advice for us Type 2's so take control of your condition and try some different ways of eating. See what works for you for lowering your sugars.
It's your body and your condition, take charge.
Good luck.. there are lots of success stories here.. try what others have done and it may well work for you too.