Hi I need Help/Guidance/A kick up the backside

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya, well done for joining us on this path. Small steps can produce good results. I won't eat any bread at all atm, or bananas, and what was in the soup? Spuds, carrots and other root crops are a non-no for me, and thickening agents like cornflour, and I'm very suspicious of stock cubes. Fish'n'chips sent me to 12.8 a few weeks back.
Have a look at the thread here "what have you eaten today" for a good basic guide to what most people do. From there you find out what's good for you. There's a recipes thread too. This is a very personal programme, while the NHS regime is one-size-fits all. Which, of course, it doesn't.

Reactions: 2 people

grohldoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was a vegatable soup with root vegatables and stock cubes in it, I will look at the "What have you eaten today" thread as I really do need inspiration. I am a lover of bread and all things stodgy so I don't expect this to be an easy path but hopefully I will get there. Thank you for the advice DeeJayR.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bread .... yummm! Never mind, I've found this forum inspirational for new kinds of food. I'm snacking on almond flour & cheese "bread" which is like a giant cheese straw. I don't see why I can't have a go at alternative dumplings and other feelgood things in due course. Also I used to make wholemeal bread without sugar or salt, so I might try that again soon (I never tested with it).

grohldoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a quick note to thank you all, I have been following a moderate carb diet (100g max per day) and testing waking, after lunch and dinner with what I hope are good results basically not over 8.00 in about a week. Thank you all for the support you have given me. Just got to keep it up x x

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! Don't forget to update us again, it's good to hear how people are getting on. :)

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi grohldoll and welcome. I posted something similar to you when I found this site in May. Your post really resonated with me. When I joined I'd been on Metformin for a few years, then Gliclazide, but no-one had mentioned not eating carbs to me and I was very much head in the sand about diabetes and felt that I'd been following such a stupid self-destructive path for years - binge eating, eating sugary treats etc.

About 5 years ago I took part in a trial internet course on mindful eating, which helped me make a start on the self-destruct cycle. I learnt to give myself permission to eat what I wanted and not to indulge in the binge/disgust/guilt merry-go-round. Of course there was quite a lot more involved in getting there and you'd have to research it to see if mindful eating is for you, but it's something to think about for that aspect of your (our) problem with food.

I did start slowly losing weight though, without starving myself, feeling deprived, cheating - you can't cheat if you have permission to eat what you want. I started to get my head in gear for eating in a less destructive way. However, this did little for my diabetes.

Then, having been refused an operation as my blood sugar was too high, I found this site and started thinking that low carb might be the way for me. I hit the deck running and went very low carb, but not high fat (not low fat either). It was OK. I wasn't getting cravings. I wasn't hungry (actually I rarely am - it's not why I over-eat). I lost weight. My blood sugar came down. It was great.

Like everything in life there are ups and downs to this. I fall off the wagon. I still occasionally pig out, but I keep going back to low carbing and back to getting my BS under control. My focus has definitely changed to watching the BS, not feeling guilty about food or not losing weight. For me the low carbing is helping me lose weight slowly. Sometimes I go weeks without losing any, but I'm not letting it go back up, so if it's slow then it is was it is. It seems to be a way of working on this diabetes thing that is right for me.

Coming on this site, talking to others and learning that I am not alone is one of the best things to have happened to me. Being open and honest and keeping a diary was my first step (search for I'm Rosie and I'm a carboholic). I also used the My Fitness Pal website to input all my daily food, which helped me learn a lot about carbs. After a lifetime of weight issues I knew about calories, but was ignorant of carb values.

Anyway, sorry for droning on so long - and you thought you rambled! I just felt you needed to know there is life beyond this and you can take control, Best of luck.
In a nut shell "here Here"