Been to see the dr

Alison P

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I had my appointment with my dr this morning, consensus is; I have mild diabetes, (which was caught early) my HbA1c was 48, so just in the diabetic range, with diet and exercise I should get into the lower range, no problem there then and no medication needed unless it stays/goes higher, but recommended to take statins, though she said if I was unsure about the statins I could go away and think about it, have to see the nurse to go over all the information, however no appointment available until Christmas eve, receptionist rang through to the dr who told her it wasn't urgent, so that made me feel a little better. She also said I don't need to check my BG levels as I will be having a blood test in 3 months and then afterwards every 6 months, so I guess I'll be buying myself the codefree meter. I also don't have to cut carbs just avoid fat and anything containing sugar, well have to say I have cut carbs and sugary things not cut the fat and I feel tons better so guess which diet I will be sticking with, (also may consider sleeping naked and possibly going vegan as that is the latest surefire cure {insert eyeroll here)). However if it wasn't for this forum I would still be in the dark as she didn't really tell me anything I haven't already read about on here, so thank you forum and forum members you are worth your weight in gold.

Allie

Reactions: 7 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Allie, welcome. You seem to have things under control! Stick with that diet and you should see an improvement in your next HbA1c.

Any other questions just ask.

Was there a specific reason they recommended statins?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A satisfactory outcome then. HbA1c of 48 is the best diabetic diagnosis you can get, and this should go down if you keep on the lower carb diet. In fact, it is better than a 46 or 47, because you are officially diagnosed and on the care pathway for foot checks, retinal screening, and regular HbA1c checks.

I saw the sleeping naked article and had to do a bit of eye-rolling. I have always slept naked in a cool room with window open, even on frosty days, yet I still got diabetes!

Keep it up, and keep posting!

Reactions: 4 people

Alison P

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi Allie, welcome. You seem to have things under control! Stick with that diet and you should see an improvement in your next HbA1c.

Any other questions just ask.

Was there a specific reason they recommended statins?
She said the statins were to help prevent cardio vascular problems in the future, my BP is fine so I should be ok, my problem with statins is that I'm not sure they are needed by many of the people taking them, I saw a headline today recommending that everyone over 60 should take them, this seems a little wrong to me, the only winners will be the companies that make them.

Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, you need to make your on decision ref the statins. There is stacks of info on th web including videos showing how Big Pharma has fiddled the data. Unless you have a family history of cardio issues then you may want to give them a miss or try them and stop immediately if you have any of the serious side-effects. Good to hear you are taking diet advice from this forum and not the dated NHS stuff; makes me despair.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello Allie and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members if you haven't already seen it on your travels in the forum. Ask all the questions you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have always slept naked in a cool room with window open, even on frosty days, yet I still got diabetes!

You and me both. Separate rooms of course, not too mention countries.

Maybe we should have kept those peejays on!

Reactions: 4 people

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'I saw the sleeping naked article and had to do a bit of eye-rolling. I have always slept naked in a cool room with window open, even on frosty days, yet I still got diabetes!'. Was that the reason for your forum name Bluetit1802?

Reactions: 5 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I had my appointment with my dr this morning, consensus is; I have mild diabetes, (which was caught early) my HbA1c was 48, so just in the diabetic range, with diet and exercise I should get into the lower range, no problem there then and no medication needed unless it stays/goes higher, but recommended to take statins, though she said if I was unsure about the statins I could go away and think about it, have to see the nurse to go over all the information, however no appointment available until Christmas eve, receptionist rang through to the dr who told her it wasn't urgent, so that made me feel a little better. She also said I don't need to check my BG levels as I will be having a blood test in 3 months and then afterwards every 6 months, so I guess I'll be buying myself the codefree meter. I also don't have to cut carbs just avoid fat and anything containing sugar, well have to say I have cut carbs and sugary things not cut the fat and I feel tons better so guess which diet I will be sticking with, (also may consider sleeping naked and possibly going vegan as that is the latest surefire cure {insert eyeroll here)). However if it wasn't for this forum I would still be in the dark as she didn't really tell me anything I haven't already read about on here, so thank you forum and forum members you are worth your weight in gold.

Allie

Welcome. Sounds like you'll do fine. As for statins, everyone has to decide on their own. What usually happens is they tell you to switch to a low fat high carb diet, then as you get fatter and get higher blood glucose and worse cholesterol and higher triglycerides they say "well, the diet didn't work, so take these pills".

Alternatively, you can cut way down on the carbs, increase the fat and watch your weight drop, your blood sugar drop, your triglycerides drop, and your cholesterol improve. The confused look on their faces when they see the lab results is priceless - they will be unable to connect why you're not deteriorating like their other type 2 patients with the fact that you are ignoring their dietary advice. They will likely even still encourage you to increase carbs and reduce fat. At least this has been my personal experience.

With regard to heart disease, the best thing for that is to reduce your blood glucose levels as explained here:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15945839.php

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
'I saw the sleeping naked article and had to do a bit of eye-rolling. I have always slept naked in a cool room with window open, even on frosty days, yet I still got diabetes!'. Was that the reason for your forum name Bluetit1802?

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, you need to make your on decision ref the statins. There is stacks of info on th web including videos showing how Big Pharma has fiddled the data. Unless you have a family history of cardio issues then you may want to give them a miss or try them and stop immediately if you have any of the serious side-effects. Good to hear you are taking diet advice from this forum and not the dated NHS stuff; makes me despair.

As well as suffering brain fog that made me forget about the joint and muscle pains, I would also forget to pay in the substantial dividends earned from my Big Pharma shares. Big Pharma would like everyone over 60 to take statins, so my shares will continue to provide a nice litter earner for doing absolutely nothing.