What is your number 1 LCHF tip?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
apart from cheese is your friend, my top tip is to accept that you can't have carbs and not to spend your time thinking of this as a short term diet fix.

Exactly - embrace the positive and think of it as a lifelong change for the better with great food. Don't think about all the 'old' foods you can't have, just remember them, fondly if you want, from a previous life. You've moved on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep... just had three different cheeses ... best thing about the meeting catering.

Reactions: 2 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well that depends on carbohydrate carbohydrate content and amount. Everything counts.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I get cottage cheese with 1.2 grams carbohydrates/100grams and hard cheeses with variable amounts from ex 0.2 gm/100 gram [negligble] and some Spanish Manchego with 2.3 grams/100 grams.
Best to always carefully check the labels. Maybe in England are a good deal different .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, we must always check labels, whatever we buy. I like Red Leicester cheese, which has virtually no carbs.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3 cheeses and a handful of walnuts fills a corner and because it is tasty you don't crave sweet things later My favourite is stilton Almonds dipped in melted very dark choc along with a glass of red wine is my mega treat ;)
CAROL

Reactions: 8 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
3 cheeses and a handful of walnuts fills a corner and because it is tasty you don't crave sweet things later My favourite is stilton Almonds dipped in melted very dark choc along with a glass of red wine is my mega treat ;)
CAROL

"Dont stint yourself" [ from the MIKADO ]

Fruitsalad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I start the day off with a mug of coffee blended with a tablespoon of coconut oil and tablespoon of unsalted butter...no need for cream....delicious, creamy gorgeousness!

Reactions: 4 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
LivLife low carb bread - about 4 carbs a slice
Definitely, definitely try cauliflower rice; use a cheese grater, grate the cauliflower then fry with lots of butter and a bit of salt and pepper; it's really good.
Salted pecans (not too many).
Coffee and cream.

I know you said 1 but there we go....

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely, definitely try cauliflower rice; use a cheese grater, grate the cauliflower then fry with lots of butter and a bit of salt and pepper; it's really good.
Coffee and cream.

you've made me hungry..;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Homemade Mayonnaise. Egg yolks, Olive Oil, dash of lemon juice and white wine vinegar and whatever flavourings you want to add! Goes with everything.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oooh I tried steamed cauli florets blended down into a purée with some cream, coconut oil & salt n pepper - delicious!!!!

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Coffee and cream.

The cauli-rice sounds tasty... a positive use for such a bland vegetable. Will try that this weekend, I think.

Bouncer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find cheese during the day acceptable. However just before bed is a no no as I find it keeps me awake. As one who has trouble sleeping at the best of times I don't want to make matters worse.

Europa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Snacks? Just discovered organic peanut butter on celery sticks, not too often it's a real treat...
Otherwise I always keep an assortments of nuts on my person, I need the support as walking down the street is hard for me (I live in Paris and I go by a lt of patisseries on my way to work!).:)

Going nuts and liking it!!!