Best soup maker?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Which soup makers do you recommend?

Please bear in mind I have never made soup in my life and I can only just about poach an egg. Hubby is our cook, but I want to make my own soup.

Reactions: 3 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I just use a big deep wok. Much cheaper. Soup is so easy, bung it all in, boil then if you want whizz with a hand blender.

I've never mastered poached eggs.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A good size stock pan and a hand-held blender is all you need.

Reactions: 9 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another vote for just a pan and a hand blender! Spend your money on a nice treat for yourself instead....:p

Robbity

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Buy a decent stock pot and a stick blender. Or you can use a slow cooker if you have one and a stick blender. I think soup makers are just another unnecessary kitchen gadget.

Reactions: 4 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Which soup makers do you recommend?

Please bear in mind I have never made soup in my life and I can only just about poach an egg. Hubby is our cook, but I want to make my own soup.

Never heard of a soup maker. We just use a big saucepan.

You can poach eggs?! :envious:

Pavlos

Reactions: 2 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Go for the stock pot and hand blender. Easy. I can do scrambled eggs in the microwave with grated cheese. This hot water poached egg mucking about is far to technical.. :wacky:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks folks. It looks like a big pan and a hand thingy then!

Just had poached eggs. Perfectly timed, soild whites, runny yolks ..... it's my masterpiece.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
And a tea towel over the top when the stick blender decides it's time to redecorate the kitchen for you.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do admire your honesty about cooking. Not often you hear a woman admit she's a rubbish cook and that hubby does it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I do admire your honesty about cooking. Not often you hear a woman admit she's a rubbish cook and that hubby does it.

It's more false modesty to be absolutely honest. I used to do all the cooking. Then circumstances changed, we bought a business meaning hubby worked at home all day and I continued with my proper job, so he took over. This continued even after we retired and moved away from the business. I suppose I just got out of the habit and lost confidence, and anyway, he enjoys it. I never did.

I have mentioned this before, but a couple of years ago I was doing toast when the toaster died. I decided to do it under the grill, which is incorporated in our large double oven. I had absolutely no idea how to switch the grill on, and none of the knob symbols were of any help. We'd had the oven at least 4 years! I was disgusted with myself.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's more false modesty to be absolutely honest. I used to do all the cooking. Then circumstances changed, we bought a business meaning hubby worked at home all day and I continued with my proper job, so he took over. This continued even after we retired and moved away from the business. I suppose I just got out of the habit and lost confidence, and anyway, he enjoys it. I never did.

I have mentioned this before, but a couple of years ago I was doing toast when the toaster died. I decided to do it under the grill, which is incorporated in our large double oven. I had absolutely no idea how to switch the grill on, and none of the knob symbols were of any help. We'd had the oven at least 4 years! I was disgusted with myself.

I think we each should work to our own strengths and interests as far as possible. Mr ethyl loathes cooking as he hasn't the patience to stir and chop etc. I like doing special occasion stuff but do get fed up with the daily grind of it Especially as no one will ever say what they fancy and I'd live off chicken and steak if left to own devices. Tbh I don't know how our electric oven works as we also have a woodburning esse so I just use that.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think we each should work to our own strengths and interests as far as possible. Mr ethyl loathes cooking as he hasn't the patience to stir and chop etc. I like doing special occasion stuff but do get fed up with the daily grind of it Especially as no one will ever say what they fancy and I'd live off chicken and steak if left to own devices. Tbh I don't know how our electric oven works as we also have a woodburning esse so I just use that.

I have an easy option for that.
If no one will say what they want, they get nothing, and have to get their own meal later.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an easy option for that.
If no one will say what they want, they get nothing, and have to get their own meal later.

We have an easy option here. Boring though it may sound, we have a weekly menu which is the same every week. If it's Thursday it's grilled haddock. We only deviate on Sundays when we always have a roast, but the joint varies, and occasionally swap one meal for liver. It's quite a good system and a side effect is it helps me remember what day it is by remembering what we ate the previous night! ;)

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

:bag: sounds like me and the washy machine thingy wotset :wideyed:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny, I'm fine with the daily stuff (have easy shortcuts for nearly everything)
But special meals, with visitors and timings and phaff - my goodness, brings me out in a rash.

Really, I suppose my food philosophy is 'fresh, simple, flavourful, and all-in-one-pot'.
I am the Queen of Stirfries :happy:

If I can't get the whole thing from fridge to plate within 15 mins, I feel hard done by. It's why I love my slow cooker. 5 mins filling it. Flip the switch, and 6 hrs later, YUM.