Days to Christmas

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
somebody has got to start the ball rolling.
tree14.gif

How about some diabetic Christmas tips.

Reactions: 8 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Yeah I have been singing Christmas songs already but have no tips as I am newly diagnosed so will be watching the thread for good ideas.

Reactions: 4 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I will eat everything but potatoes,I dont miss them ,they dont tast of anything,and there is plenty of other nice things.
I will have a bit of christmas pudd and brandy white sauce.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aldi now stock "Pure Maple Syrup" £2.99 for 250ml I would get some now as they will soon run out of stock like they did before.
1148661_1.jpg
that is one of my Christmas tips.
550.gif

P

Pip16

Ooh Is maple syrup ok to eat. I used to love that on pancakes with cherries and loads of squirty cream.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Aldi now stock "Pure Maple Syrup" £2.99 for 250ml I would get some now as they will soon run out of stock like they did before.
1148661_1.jpg
that is one of my Christmas tips.
550.gif
Really I love maple syrup and honey wasn't sure if we could or not?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My tip is that it's just another day... no need to go overboard on anything- think of this as the year you don't go into the next one with half a stone extra that you never seem to lose before the next Xmas comes along. I don't actually like mince pies, xmas pud or cake so they won't be missed greatly. One roast potato as a treat and maybe a thin slice of pork pie with the obligatory cold turkey tea.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maple syrup - and honey too - are still sugars (of sorts) and therefore will be high in carbohydrates. So always read the nutritional information labels, and if you think that the carb quantities are acceptable, then let your meter readings tell you if it's OK for you. And don't forget type 1s who take insulin can usually manage treats like this much better than type 2s who are relying on diet and/or oral medication, e.g. metformin for their glucose control.

Have a look at the information here
maple syrup: http://authoritynutrition.com/maple-syrup/
honey: http://authoritynutrition.com/is-honey-bad-for-you-or-good/

I love both and would gladly eat them till they came out of my ears, but I have to remember what they could do to me as a diabetic...:p

Robbity

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A month away, where did the year go?

My only tip is to enjoy the day and spend some quality time with your family and friends :)

Reactions: 4 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A month away, where did the year go?

My only tip is to enjoy the day and spend some quality time with your family and friends :)
Have to agree the year has gone so quickly only trouble with that is soon will be another year older boo,I am not to worried about the food or alcohol as I don't drink but am so looking forward to spending it with my family

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to agree the year has gone so quickly only trouble with that is soon will be another year older boo,I am not to worried about the food or alcohol as I don't drink but am so looking forward to spending it with my family
We are planning a surprise visit to my wife's 2 sisters down south on Christmas Day.
It could back fire, yet that makes it worth while in a nice way. ( can you imagine 5 family members turning up to spoil your Christmas day of peace ) :)

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I'm in a choir and have been singing christmas songs since Oct!!!!! We are a rock choir so only one carol. but I think it has got me into christmas mode too early. My tree went up last Saturday!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in a choir and have been singing christmas songs since Oct!!!!! We are a rock choir so only one carol. but I think it has got me into christmas mode too early. My tree went up last Saturday!
lets hear your Christmas carol :headphone:

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Come to Norfolk on Sunday and you can hear all our songs. We are singing;
Step into christmas,
rocking robin,
winter wonderland,
hark the herald angel,
do they know its christmas (2004),
i wish it could be christmas every day,
and one of our mash ups which is a cobimantion of Radioactive by Imagin Dragons, Skyfall by Adele, Toxic by Britney and Too close by Alex Clare.

should be good, its the lights switch on.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought I would be missing out on Yorkshire puddings this year, but I have found a way to make a low carb version :). I took a recipe from the Internet and modified it. To make them, this is the recipe:

140g ground almonds
200ml coconut milk
4 eggs
Cooking oil

Makes 12 yorkshires

Mix the almonds, eggs and coconut milk together. Put some cooking oil into a 12 muffin tray, and add your mixture evenly into each hole. Bake on 180 degrees C for about 20 minutes. Job done! (I have heard that if you add some oil to the middle of your mixture once you have poured it into the tray, it will take on more of a Yorkshire pudding shape. However, I have not tried this yet. It's on the list of future experiments!)

Reactions: 2 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Lenny,I went to a lovely Christmas show in Norfok with a trip from our church,It was in Thursford,It was as good as any London show.