Free Offer Blood Glucose Monitor

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Guys,

Well, when I first joined this forum as a newbie I saw the advert on the site for a free Bayer Contour USB glucose monitoring device and guess what? It arrived today!

Now, what I'd like to know is if anyone else has taken up this offer, if you find it useful and finally, how do you find the ordering of new testing strips? (Time it takes to deliver and cost of strips)

I was given a monitor by my doctor after I'd ordered this as I was so high at the beginning so this is an added bonus, linking to the computer as it does.

So guys, what do you think?! T
hank you, yet again for your comments.

BeeGee

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are self-funding then you will find that the strips for this machine are expensive, that's why people use the Codefree. If you get strips on prescription, GPs are being increasingly being pushed to change meters to ones with cheaper strips such as the Wavesense Jazz especially for Type 2's.

A

AnnieC

I use a Codefree meter as the strips are the cheapest Other meters strips can be as much as £25 for 50 for the Codefree they are about £7 for 50

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you pay then use the strips that come with it. Keep the batteries and dump the meter. Get the codefree and cheap strips. Don't forget the lancets. If you don't pay, try and persuade your doctor to change script for you.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was asked by bluetit if I had a tester but nobody has even mentioned this subject in my consultations at the surgery. I haven't had a tolerance test either, just the two HbA1c tests (End of August and mid November) and one fasting test (as part of the test two weeks ago). I am on a low carb (around 30g per day) very low calorie (around 700) diet modelled on the Newcastle research so I guess self-monitoring is not so useful at the moment? As the diet is going really well I may well be able to relax my calorie restriction for Christmas although I won't consume sugary or high-carb foods except for one or two small seasonal treats and I certainly don't want to put on any weight over that period. I will have around 10-14 pounds to lose to get under my target of 22 for BMI after Christmas. So maybe a tester for Christmas might be a good idea? I qualify for free prescriptions - are testers and/or strips covered by this?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was asked by bluetit if I had a tester but nobody has even mentioned this subject in my consultations at the surgery. I haven't had a tolerance test either, just the two HbA1c tests (End of August and mid November) and one fasting test (as part of the test two weeks ago). I am on a low carb (around 30g per day) very low calorie (around 700) diet modelled on the Newcastle research so I guess self-monitoring is not so useful at the moment? As the diet is going really well I may well be able to relax my calorie restriction for Christmas although I won't consume sugary or high-carb foods except for one or two small seasonal treats and I certainly don't want to put on any weight over that period. I will have around 10-14 pounds to lose to get under my target of 22 for BMI after Christmas. So maybe a tester for Christmas might be a good idea? I qualify for free prescriptions - are testers and/or strips covered by this?

Unless your GP agrees (which is highly unlikely) you will have to buy your own, available here http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm The NHS doesn't seem to like type 2's testing so very few of us are given them on prescription unless on insulin.

My personal belief is it is essential to test, no matter what your diet. There are hidden carbs in just about everything and you need to know what is happening.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@vit90
The surgery may not mention the tester as they may believe that you do not need it as in their opinion testing via HbA1c is enough.
personally I want to know how a given food will effect me and I want to know if something is going wrong before the 120 day point!
So you may be qualified for free prescriptions but if the HCPs won't prescribe, then you won't get the strips on prescription:(
As others have said, the codefree is the cheapest for strips. :)
Most of the other manufacturers will provide testers & "prickers" freely so it may be a good idea to try them out (I like the AccuChek FastClix lancet that comes with their meter (6 lancets per cartridge))

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting glucose was 4.5 and the HbA1c reduced on the second measure despite me not having modified my diet much until that point. My next DN appointment is in about three weeks time - I will ask in advance if we can discuss the subject and I will probably get something in time for Christmas. I don't think I'm eating enough for any spikes! Nothing I am eating is remotely high carb let alone sugary at present.

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't assume you won't spike, my sister does, we believe it's because she doesn't eat enough. The problem is - if our brain gets the message that our bs are low - we get the liver releasing glucose - "liver dumps". If I do too much or leave too long between eating then I know my liver does this - just by the levels I get. My DN wishes she could give all her Type 2's a monitor, because that's the best way to know what your bloods are doing - and when you need to do something to bring them back down. Unfortunately she has to do as she is told. I would certainly get one - I don't think I ate enough between my diagnosis and getting mine.

Reactions: 2 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good point Donna. My normal fasting glucose measurement is a comfort in this respect but you could be right. The Newcastle diet does, after all, aim to get the liver to use up long term visceral fat this way.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't suppose anyone has a link to the Newcastle diet plan do they? Think I'd better look at it!
Thank you.
;)

A

AnnieC

Yes you will be better off getting the Codefree meter . My husband was given a meter by the nurse when he was diagnosed T2 a few months ago he got two lots of strips on prescription but then was told by the nurse when he went for his 3 month results that he probably would not get any more as his blood glucose levels are not high enough to warrant needing the strips at his two blood tests he was about 7