Does anyone know what ingredient in these is spiking my BS so much :¬(

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I would try just one of these toasted this morning because im searching for some normality

http://www.carblife.co.uk/carblife-bakery/carblife-bakery-low-carb-hot-dog-rolls/

My BS shot up from Fasting 5.2 ->6,7 in 1 hour then 6.4 after 2 hours

Any idea what ingredient is so "BAD" in this list :¬( "Vital Wheat Gluten" evil maybe?

Overview
Great tasting and only 2 net carbs per 2 oz bun! Please freeze after receiving! 6 Rolls per pack
Ingredients
Water, Vital Wheat Gluten, Almond Flour, Flax Seed Meal, Oat Fiber, Wheat Protein Isolate, Modified Wheat Starch, Soy Bean Oil, Yeast, Calcium Propionate, Vinegar, Stevia

BTW they look nothing like the picture more greyish stodge but tasted ok toasted with butter

also tried the hamburger buns - same stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.7 after 1 hour?
6.4 after two hours?

That isn't a spike.

Ok thanks but if I just eat loads of bacon and eggs I don't get such a dramatic rise(spike)
So im asking...
Does anyone know if any of those ingredients is know to be BAD for us

Yesterday I tried 2 rolls for breakfast and it went from 5.4 ->7.5 after 1 Hour
Im wondering if this is an experiment gone wrong (worried)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am delighted to have "spikes" like those! Everyone spikes at about an hour, including non-diabetics. Non-diabetics will spike quite high at 1 hour after a carby meal, but come down to under 6.6 at 2 hours. This is normal. The 2 hour reading is what is important for us generally speaking. Yours was ideal. What were you 2 hours after your rolls?

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thanks but if I just eat loads of bacon and eggs I don't get such a dramatic rise(spike)
So im asking...

Are you married or do you have a partner who would eat the same meal and test in parallel with you? That might help you understand how bloods "move" in non-diabetics. What did you score at the 2 hour point?

I think we need to try to get to a point where our bloods are under control, but where we're not number chasing for the sake of it. This is where I am at the moment. It's not easy, but possibly another read of @Andrew Colvin 's thread where he talks about increasing his carbs. There's quite a lot in there about non-diabetic sugar ranges, and his family's experiences eating the same as him. I found it incredibly enlightening.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So im asking...

It's impossible to categorise the ingredients, as their is no 'us'
Every one reacts in differing degrees, and even different ways to foods.

You seem to have reacted quite well to the rolls, so it would seem there is nothing bad for you in them, others could react differently.

It's possible you are trying too hard to achieve a below normal range continuously, which is setting yourself an impossible task, that will take over everything you do.
You need to step back a bit, and consider your overall targets, not just BG at a super low level, as that isn't a level to be worrying about.

Reactions: 4 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your comments everyone made a lot of sense

I was not really worrying about the lowness of the numbers as its meaningless (my meters have a life of their own) but....

Seems to be that if I fancy hot dogs or toast using this low carb bread supplier I must accept a 3 hour hick of up to 7.6mmol from a base line of 5.4mmol
Maybe

on one 2g net carb roll it was
5.2 before
6.7 after 1 Hour
6.4 after 2 Hours
6.1 after 3 hours
if I was to eat "2" of those rolls those readings need to have a "+1mmol" added to them

I am single, useless at cooking which is why im trying to find a 1/2 decent solution to low-carb bread :¬)

tim2000s ill get me googling hat on and check up on Modified Wheat Starch.

Thanks again :¬)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand why anything with just 2g of carbs would cause a spike. It's so negligible. I wonder if the 2g is an honest amount? What did you have with the roll? I assume plenty of fat as the rise, such as it was, was prolonged.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you all for your comments everyone made a lot of sense

I was not really worrying about the lowness of the numbers as its meaningless (my meters have a life of their own) but....

Seems to be that if I fancy hot dogs or toast using this low carb bread supplier I must accept a 3 hour hick of up to 7.6mmol from a base line of 5.4mmol
Maybe

on one 2g net carb roll it was
5.2 before
6.7 after 1 Hour
6.4 after 2 Hours
6.1 after 3 hours
if I was to eat "2" of those rolls those readings need to have a "+1mmol" added to them

I am single, useless at cooking which is why im trying to find a 1/2 decent solution to low-carb bread :¬)

tim2000s ill get me googling hat on and check up on Modified Wheat Starch.

Thanks again :¬)

A 'normal' person has a BG of up to 7.8 2 hours after a meal, from a fasting level of 4 to 5.9.

So it would suggest that you are going to be fighting your body to achieve better than the normal range.
It's possible, but is it worth it?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't understand why anything with just 2g of carbs would cause a spike. It's so negligible. I wonder if the 2g is an honest amount? What did you have with the roll? I assume plenty of fat as the rise, such as it was, was prolonged.

It could be anything though.
It could be the liver, just doing it's job to bring BG up in the normal range, as the body is working, eating, digesting, and just doing what it does.
I would run the same food a few times, and see ift the results are repeatable.

Reactions: 3 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Just butter I did it as a test

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be anything though.
It could be the liver, just doing it's job to bring BG up in the normal range, as the body is working, eating, digesting, and just doing what it does.
I would run the same food a few times, and see ift the results are repeatable.
good point ill do exactly the same tomorrow :¬)

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it actually worried me that 2g net carbs could do this as well given the question about the ingredients
My primary objective was to se if this supplier could be trusted and it worried me

Nutritional info
  • Carbs / serving: 2g
  • Cals / serving: 120
  • Protein / serving: 14g
  • Serving Size: 1 bagel
  • Servings: 6
  • per 100g
  • Energy: 240Kcal
  • Fat: 0g
  • of which saturates: 0g
  • Total Carbohydrates: 32g
  • of which sugars: 0g
  • of which sugar alcohols: 0g
  • Fibre: 28g
  • Protein: 28g

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol. I nearly collapsed there when I read the 32g carbs per 100g until I realised it is American labelling, which includes the fibre!

Please stop fretting. Just try another test.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
it actually worried me that 2g net carbs could do this as well given the question about the ingredients
My primary objective was to se if this supplier could be trusted and it worried me

Nutritional info
  • Carbs / serving: 2g
  • Cals / serving: 120
  • Protein / serving: 14g
  • Serving Size: 1 bagel
  • Servings: 6
  • per 100g
  • Energy: 240Kcal
  • Fat: 0g
  • of which saturates: 0g
  • Total Carbohydrates: 32g
  • of which sugars: 0g
  • of which sugar alcohols: 0g
  • Fibre: 28g
  • Protein: 28g

I'd worry if it took you out of the normal range, as your own body can dump glucose, so even if you eat 2g of carbs, you produce insulin for it. The insulin may be a bit too much, so you release glucose from the liver, and so long as you finish in the normal range, your body is happy.
I'm not saying that is happening in this case, it's just something that could explain an unexpected reading.

Also, meter testing is never a precise science.
I had lunch as hour ago.
2 kippers, pre packaged Mediterranean vegetables bought by my wife.
I didn't read the label, but as I get to the end, thought it was a bit sweet.
So, I did read the label, 20g of carbs, of which 15g is sugar. (In a 250g serving).

So I've tested at an hour.
8.7 - a bit high.

So, walk into the kitchen, wash hands in warm, running water, no soap, towel dry.

Retest, other hand, 7.3

I have run a lot of experiments on testing,
I know walking to the kitchen will change my BG
I know washing in hot water will give a different reading to cold, depending on my initial skin temperature.

I know I have low fasting levels, I have normal HbA1c, I am on minimum drugs, and I've tested 'normal' people for BG response, so I'm not going to be stressed over any of those readings.

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be a number of factors:

Did you have ketchup on the hotdog?

May be the protein added to the rise?

Perhaps you were a bit anxious about the results?

May be your liver dumped some glucose into your blood?

As it is on it's own, as everyone has already highlighted, it's not a problem as your rise is less than 2 mmol / L at the two hour post prandial reading.
just one roll toasted with real butter
but wont find the reason so ill stop fretting :¬)