Unusual response to Novorapid

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Having been ill for a few days and not really eaten, I went back on the food today, and therefore, back to bolussing.

My basal level blood sugars are in an acceptable range (and the Lantus is therefore having an effect) however, I'm seeing what appears to be no response to NovoRapid. I've swapped pens, changed cartridges and needles, and also used multiple injection sites. All I'm seeing is a typical Lantus basal flatline and nothing that looks like food or Novorapid having an effect.

Now it might be that I'm having a spectacularly effective bolus insulin timing effect today and it's completely flattened out my blood glucose, but it's a little unusual to see it so flat, especially with the extra insulin I've done. It's amazing that the Libre shows me this, whereas before I'd just have noted that by finger pricks looked okay.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Am I being OCD, because, well, I have the information now?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you said you were ill, what were your symptoms?

Sometimes our digestive tract just kind of shuts down, after a bug (can also happen after a general anaesthetic) and even though you may be eating, you may not be digesting.

If that is what is happening, things should slowing come back to normal function over the next few days...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When you said you were ill, what were your symptoms?

Sometimes our digestive tract just kind of shuts down, after a bug (can also happen after a general anaesthetic) and even though you may be eating, you may not be digesting.

If that is what is happening, things should slowing come back to normal function over the next few days...

It was basically Norovirus. My digestive system may have shut down, but then I'd still expect a reaction to the Novorapid if there was no glucose in my system from food.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was basically Norovirus. My digestive system may have shut down, but then I'd still expect a reaction to the Novorapid if there was no glucose in my system from food.

I had that norovirus a couple of years ago.
:wideyed:
I feel for you.

Everyone around me bounced back in a day or so.
I was still passing un digested food through nearly a week afterwards.
I think we all react a bit differently.

I'm sure you are right about the insulin. Hadn't thought of that - but my ignorance about insulin injections is vast.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I had a bad stomach bug approximately 5 weeks ago and during this 48-72 hours i did not eat at all but still needed to take my regular lantus dose of 28 units and bolusing novorapid approx every 5 hours (about 5 or 6 units per dose to keep my BG's running between 5-8

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I being OCD, because, well, I have the information now?
On being micro-aware with the Libre, it certainly can tempt us down the road towards OCD. But then we get to do things so much better with it. I think we should look and learn, then put it away regularly. I had a nasty Xmas because I could see every detail of the sudden, horribly high BS that I could do nothing to fix except take basal and starve. Bye bye honeymoon. So I worried myself sick right thro, even tho of course it didn't help. OTOH it made me get emergency Novorapid fast once home in Denmark and now I have it. So situation fixed sooner, and total BS overload less, than it would have been had I been less aware of every passing second.

But some of us need to put on our discipline coats using it. Speaking for myself anyway.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
On being micro-aware with the Libre, it certainly can tempt us down the road towards OCD. But then we get to do things so much better with it. I think we should look and learn, then put it away regularly. I had a nasty Xmas because I could see every detail of the sudden, horribly high BS that I could do nothing to fix except take basal and starve. Bye bye honeymoon. So I worried myself sick right thro, even tho of course it didn't help. OTOH it made me get emergency Novorapid fast once home in Denmark and now I have it. So situation fixed sooner, and total BS overload less, than it would have been had I been less aware of every passing second.

But some of us need to put on our discipline coats using it. Speaking for myself anyway.

spoken like a true expert -- i like this post a lot -- it embodies calm rational thinking and action :)

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
spoken like a true expert -- i like this post a lot -- it embodies calm rational thinking and action :)
Ah @himtoo - if you only knew ... BUT I intend to follow this from now on. I think it was Smidge who suggested, get all your figures out and look for patterns just once a week. And then leave it alone. The best advice.

Thank you for that lovely post.

Lucy